U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 21,517 times

Advertisements

My husband commutes 1 hr 45 min each way. We have three young kids and need to move for a better quality of life. We LOVE were we live now and are very scared to leave. We looked in millburn area and westfield area. love it there but his commute is not significantly changed. looking at holmdel/ middletown area because SeaStreak ferry seems like it would greatly help commute.

we want: fast commute to nyc, hour driving distance to NYC, community feel, family friendly, good schools, culture/diversity, downtown, parks, 4 bedroom homes with backyards.

any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 AM

51,225 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanielyn View Post
My husband commutes 1 hr 45 min each way. We have three young kids and need to move for a better quality of life. We LOVE were we live now and are very scared to leave. We looked in millburn area and westfield area. love it there but his commute is not significantly changed. looking at holmdel/ middletown area because SeaStreak ferry seems like it would greatly help commute.

we want: fast commute to nyc, hour driving distance to NYC, community feel, family friendly, good schools, culture/diversity, downtown, parks, 4 bedroom homes with backyards.

Well, Monmouth County certainly has the parks, so that wouldn't be a problem! And you'll have places like Red Bank for culture and diversity.

"Fast" commute is of course subjective. I assume you just mean faster than he's got now. The Sea Streak is 45 minutes to Lower Manhattan, but it will take you 15 - 20 minutes to drive to it. It's $635 a month, but I think the parking is free.

Not sure what you mean by an hour driving to NYC if your husband plans to take the ferry anyway. Do you mean off-peak? That would be the only way. (Of course, you CAN be in Staten Island from Middletown or Holmdel in a lot less time than an hour, but I don't think that's what you meant by NYC.)

Middletown has two high schools. One, Middletown South, is considered "superior", read: wealthier people live in that district, which is what I assume you are looking for. Middletown is enormous and broken down into a number of areas, such as Lincroft, Navesink, Leonardo, etc. A simple search on Realtor.com will tell you where the areas are that would provide the types of houses you are looking for.

Holmdel is nice--I don't think there are any so-called "less desirable" areas in the town. (Although there is a trailer park in there somewhere!)

Both Middletown and Holmdel would be considered family-friendly--that pretty much defines the reason for their existance.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:59 PM

9,316 posts, read 13,844,848 times
Quote:

The ferry is an hour; World Trade Center via Hoboken from Millburn or via Newark from Westfield is less than an hour. So I don't think the ferry is going to help over those two towns.

Oops, I was looking at the wrong part of the ferry schedule. But the difference is still less than 10 minutes, which could get eaten up (or lengthen) depending on how far there is to go from PATH or the ferry terminal.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:34 PM

85 posts, read 177,456 times
The Hazlet/Holmdel/Middletown area is pretty good.

I live in Hazlet, if you have any questions about the schools, feel free to direct message me.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM

390 posts, read 1,118,400 times
To me, Rutherford would have to be the easy winner. 15 minutes to Hoboken, then 15 minutes via path to the WTC. Great little tree lined town. Safe, with good schools and about five miles from midtown via car.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 AM

51,225 posts, read 50,499,962 times
I agree, but if the OP is looking at Westfield and Millburn and Holmdel, they aren't going to be happy with Rutherford.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,813,326 times
Quote:

How close to the ferry is his office downtown? Mine was across the street and the commute was fantastic. I live in Hazlet and drove to Belford. Having a long walk from the ferry though would not be great. The ride itself is so hassle free it's the best commute I've ever had. Holmdel and Middletown are nice you just have to look at the specific areas you are interested in to see if they have the right feel for you.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:51 AM

22 posts, read 75,350 times
My house is in Atlantic Highlands, and is very close to both Seastreak terminals (~10 mins). My office is a couple blocks from Pier 11, so it takes me about 5 minutes to walk to my office. With these conditions, my commute is about 65-70 minutes door-to-door. If OP decides to move to a place in, say, south of Rt. 35 in middletown and the office is at the WTC building. I think the door-to-door is realistically around 90 minutes.

Driving to manhattan takes a little bit over 1 hour if there is zero traffic - I left at 7:50am last Saturday and was in manhattan (via Holland tunnel) just a bit before 9am.

IMO Middletown, Rumson/Fair Haven, Holmdel, Hazlet and AH are all good towns, with R/FH having the best schools. Good luck in your search, OP!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 AM

4,074 posts, read 7,045,383 times
Quote:

I am confused that Millburn or Westfield would not significantly reduce the commute from the current 1 hr 45 min each way. Where is his work, and where are you now? Also, some budget infor would be helpful.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 AM

87 posts, read 195,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I am confused that Millburn or Westfield would not significantly reduce the commute from the current 1 hr 45 min each way. Where is his work, and where are you now? Also, some budget infor would be helpful.
She's (?) asking about how long to get to the WTC.

From Westfield, the train to Newark Penn is about 20-25 minutes. I always assume 45 minutes from Newark to WTC via PATH--it can be less, but it's 45 if you've just missed the previous train and have to wait. So yeah, I'd figure just over an hour from Westfield, plus the time to get to the train station in Westfield which probably isn't very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or