Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times

Advertisements

Great Falls in Paterson is dedicated as national park | NJ.com

The Great Falls in Paterson is now officially a national historic park! It looks like the park service will finally be running the place! However, it was a short article...is any other information available on the designation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:16 AM

OK. I finally found more info on the NPS website. Here is the link...Paterson Great Falls National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

However, I still would like to discuss the ramifications of this designation.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
OK. I finally found more info on the NPS website. Here is the link...Paterson Great Falls National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

However, I still would like to discuss the ramifications of this designation.

What ramifications did you have in mind? Honest question--I don't know enough about what happens when something is designated a National Park. I'm hoping it means it will be kept clean.

Used to live in West Paterson, and I liked to to go to the Falls a lot. For a while they had fireworks there on the Fourth of July, and it was great-- you could just plant yourself on the ground and the fireworks were just about overhead. Then Paterson decided to turn it into an "ethnic festival" on the Fourth, and that year it was SO crowded--wall to wall people with baby strollers and music blasting at earsplitting levels--never went back.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM

Perhaps, increased tourism into the area...maybe even the beginning of the revitalization of that part of Paterson. That is what I am thinking/

Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, increased tourism into the area...maybe even the beginning of the revitalization of that part of Paterson. That is what I am thinking/
Now that would be nice.

My paternal grandparents worked in the silk mills. That's where they met. They were married in 1914.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
There are plans to redevelop the land around the falls and the Downtown with lofts and shops and better transit. Some of these plans have been completed but most of them are on hold...

Old 11-07-2011, 01:41 PM

OK. I understand that Garrett Mountain (where Lambert Castle is) was part of the same National Landmark as the Great Falls...However, what is the status of Garrett Mountain now that the Great Falls is now a National historical Park? Is Garrett Mountain included or excluded in the national park?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
OK. I understand that Garrett Mountain (where Lambert Castle is) was part of the same National Landmark as the Great Falls...However, what is the status of Garrett Mountain now that the Great Falls is now a National historical Park? Is Garrett Mountain included or excluded in the national park?
I don't know.

But I DO know that Garret Mountain is named for Garret Hobart, William McKinley's first Vice President, who was from Paterson. His son later became head of the Parks Commission.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There are plans to redevelop the land around the falls and the Downtown with lofts and shops and better transit. Some of these plans have been completed but most of them are on hold...
That would definitely be nice, the area could use a face-lift.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
I hope they keep it the same. I like that it is not overrun with people and vendors and has a peaceful feeling too it and you have some privacy.

A pretty amazing place and somewhere you should check out if you have never been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey