U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:38 AM

51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Comparing entire state to one borough probably isn't fair. At the same time, Brooklyn rent prices are just as insane as NJ. North NJ is particularly expensive for most part due to proximity to NYC.

Just like parts of Brooklyn with good proximity to city is hella expensive. DUMBO, downtown brooklyn, brooklyn heights, north williamsburg, etc. are all heavily gentrified or still gentrifying and rent is very pricey and on-par if not higher than North NJ for most part.

Once you hit 1hour commute to NYC (which is about same from Canarsie to city), you can find 2bed for budget you are looking for but in my opinion once you hit 1hour commute to NYC, you're nearing central NJ than north NJ. Once you hit central NJ, rental prices dip for most part as well.

Difference is you can get better public education for your children in NJ than Brooklyn.

Good luck!
I disagree with that. Although I'm sure there must be some places where you can get a rent that cheap ($1200 for 2 bedrooms???) within an hour commute of NYC, they might not be the safest places to live. I haven't seen a rent that low in a long time. Two years ago I was looking at $1700 rents for two bedrooms in Bergen County (Hour+20 minute commute); moved to Monmouth and paid $1400 for a two bedroom complete with four leaks in the kitchen ceiling (2 hours). $1200? I think you're talking early 00's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:10 AM

696 posts, read 1,204,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I disagree with that. Although I'm sure there must be some places where you can get a rent that cheap ($1200 for 2 bedrooms???) within an hour commute of NYC, they might not be the safest places to live.
That's not the rule. Found numerous 2 bedrooms for that amount, even in the burbs. They might not have some utilities included or smaller but they have rentals that cheap, even lower. Whether they'd be in the safer areas of the cities or out in the burbs/boonies. Same for the 5 boros, LI and Westchester.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,166 times
Id stay in brooklyn. Grew up there

playing basketball still am

Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,499,970 times
There are few places you can get for that range of 1200/2bed close to city (less than 1hour range) too but inventory for those are rare, small size, old buildings, and some kinks to it.

Reality is that if you want to find a good amount of inventory so you can be slightly choosy which unit or house you rent. Realistically you're looking at 1 hour commute to city no matter where you are.

As for prices in 2000 vs 2011, it's definitely gone up in NY side for the five boroughs on most part. Most places are raising rent prices because they can. People aren't buying so they have to rent and if you can't afford it, you move out further or stay put and hope your landlord is good and don't raise it on you.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,695,794 times
guys, OP never said 2 bath, just 2 bed

there's plenty in that price range in nice(ish) school systems within 40mins-1hr commute by train (not including walking to the station). Hackensack, River Edge, Oradell, just to start. Hell maybe even Rutherford/Woodridge, but it might be a place where you'd need a bus ride to the train station

by nice(ish) shcool system I mean nice-OK for NJ, but it will be WAY better than NYC.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 AM

I also second that Rockland county might be an option - the metro North has express trains into the city

also consider that you're working location is ideal, the PATH train goes directly to the WTC. So your commute will mostly be the train ride - you can look at the schedule and add only like 20 minutes to the alloted time

Old 11-10-2011, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 677 times
Thumbs up my brother did the same thing....

I helped my brother move from Memphis to New York a few years ago. We rented a trailer (first mistake) and drove all the way up there. Gas wasn't cheap so that was strike two. He lived in the Village and getting there in a car is enough hassle, so a big trailer was even worse, strike three. Three months later he ended up moving to Newark so instead of trying to do it all by ourselves again (because quite honestly I would have just told him no. haha) he used some movers nj (http://www.beltmann.com/new-jersey-movers.aspx - broken link) instead. Just a personal experience. If you're really thinking about moving then work smart not hard.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
guys, OP never said 2 bath, just 2 bed

there's plenty in that price range in nice(ish) school systems within 40mins-1hr commute by train (not including walking to the station). Hackensack, River Edge, Oradell, just to start. Hell maybe even Rutherford/Woodridge, but it might be a place where you'd need a bus ride to the train station

by nice(ish) shcool system I mean nice-OK for NJ, but it will be WAY better than NYC.
No one on this thread mentioned baths.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
That's not the rule. Found numerous 2 bedrooms for that amount, even in the burbs. They might not have some utilities included or smaller but they have rentals that cheap, even lower. Whether they'd be in the safer areas of the cities or out in the burbs/boonies. Same for the 5 boros, LI and Westchester.
I dunno. I just did a quick search on Realtor for $1200 2 BRs in Rutherford (nothing), Oradell (nothing), River Edge (1), and Hackensack (2), which were towns people mentioned on here. But the OP is concerned about schools. I don't know if Hackensack has what one would call a top-quality public school.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:15 PM

well just be sure that you look for "rooms" not just "bedrooms" in your searches. A bedroom is defined as (I think) as having a closet built-in (that is, in the walls). This is too specific and unnecessary since you can just get a dresser in put it in a room - IKEA makes everything cheap and you could get it even cheaper probably by having someone make some POS out of plywood and 2x4s and simple butterfly hinges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or