U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,697,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hackensack has what one would call a top-quality public school.
It'd still be way better than NYC, If I'm not mistaken. And in general it won't be that bad, no? Are you sure you're not channeling that northeast bergen county soft racism? I htink that's where a lot of that dialogue may come from. Minorities do not a "bad area" or "bad school" make. My rent is lower in the New Bridge Landing area than it would have been in the Anderson Street area, when most people from northern bergen county would say Anderson st is more "ghetto"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 09:11 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,816,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
It'd still be way better than NYC, If I'm not mistaken. And in general it won't be that bad, no? Are you sure you're not channeling that northeast bergen county soft racism? I htink that's where a lot of that dialogue may come from. Minorities do not a "bad area" or "bad school" make.
What makes the schools bad is low performance.

To be a bit less circular, the real problem is having Teaneck right next door. If you're looking for the location, town ethnic mix, and general pricepoint in the Hackensack/Teaneck/Englewood area you are choosing between train access/best schools/cheapest. Families with kids in the public school system who choose Hackensack over Teaneck are making a choice that comes from valuing transit access over the quality of their children's education, and the results are about what you would expect for the public school system.

Teaneck gets bashed along with Hackensack sometimes based on ignorance/soft racism, but, Hackensack is bashed for good reason. If you want to suggest it to someone seeking cheap rent and good transit links out in the suburbs; cool, it's a good town for that purpose. To someone who is explicitly looking for better schools for their kid though? Nah.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 AM

51,363 posts, read 50,609,566 times
Quote:
It'd still be way better than NYC, If I'm not mistaken. And in general it won't be that bad, no? Are you sure you're not channeling that northeast bergen county soft racism? I htink that's where a lot of that dialogue may come from. Minorities do not a "bad area" or "bad school" make. My rent is lower in the New Bridge Landing area than it would have been in the Anderson Street area, when most people from northern bergen county would say Anderson st is more "ghetto"
Don't whack your head jumping to conclusions. First of all, I lived most of my life in northwest Bergen County. Now I am in Monmouth, and my immediate neighbors on my right are Black and my immediate neighbors on my right are Malaysian, and they already lived here when I bought my home, so yes, I know that "minorities" do not a bad area make. Most of the minorities I personally know, including family members, are well-educated.

Basing my opinion on what people who grew up and lived in Hackensack have said. Hackensack's not the worst place one could live, but the OP specified "top-quality schools", and I don't believe Hackensack fits that description.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:30 AM

111 posts, read 277,961 times
try looking in west new york, nj.

it's close to nyc and there are buses that will take you to midtown in like 20 to 40 mins depending on traffic, it's more of a latin neighborhood. Although the school system isnt spectacular its probably a huge improvement over the nyc school system.

The best way that I can describe it is like this: Back when I was in high school In north jersey the tradition was to throw eggs at highschool freshmen on the first day of school, in brooklyn (so I've been told by kids who transferred from brooklyn) they throw batteries and potatoes. Also, Everybody I met who moved from nyc couldnt get over how nice everything was compared to nyc.

Nowadays (so i've been told), the public schools in West New York are run much more stricter and require uniforms, so it's probably gotten alot better.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:45 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,503,853 times
Quote:
well just be sure that you look for "rooms" not just "bedrooms" in your searches. A bedroom is defined as (I think) as having a closet built-in (that is, in the walls). This is too specific and unnecessary since you can just get a dresser in put it in a room - IKEA makes everything cheap and you could get it even cheaper probably by having someone make some POS out of plywood and 2x4s and simple butterfly hinges
If I remember correct, in NY and NJ bedroom must have closet and window.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,503,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerveza View Post
try looking in west new york, nj.

it's close to nyc and there are buses that will take you to midtown in like 20 to 40 mins depending on traffic, it's more of a latin neighborhood. Although the school system isnt spectacular its probably a huge improvement over the nyc school system.

The best way that I can describe it is like this: Back when I was in high school In north jersey the tradition was to throw eggs at highschool freshmen on the first day of school, in brooklyn (so I've been told by kids who transferred from brooklyn) they throw batteries and potatoes. Also, Everybody I met who moved from nyc couldnt get over how nice everything was compared to nyc.

Nowadays (so i've been told), the public schools in West New York are run much more stricter and require uniforms, so it's probably gotten alot better.
I lived right near by in Edgewater before and did look into West NY. They aren't great, there are better choices near by. West NY (Memorial HS) is something like 270 out of 310~320 ranked high schools in NJ.

Tenafly is usually in top 5 and other towns that get mentioned time to time like Leonia, parsippany, wayne, fort lee, morristown are in top 100.

Edit: hackensack is usually around 200.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 PM

duplicate post

Last edited by cerveza; 11-11-2011 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: duplicate post

Old 11-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I lived right near by in Edgewater before and did look into West NY. They aren't great, there are better choices near by. West NY (Memorial HS) is something like 270 out of 310~320 ranked high schools in NJ.

Tenafly is usually in top 5 and other towns that get mentioned time to time like Leonia, parsippany, wayne, fort lee, morristown are in top 100.

Edit: hackensack is usually around 200.
2 problems though:

1) with the exception of fort lee and MAYBE leonia, the commute to nyc from all those areas kinda suck

2) op probably isnt going to find a 2 bedroom for $1200 in any of those areas.

like i said before.........

given the op's limited budget...... that high school isnt going to be great, but having gone there and had friends that gone to nyc schools I can say it will be a VAST IMPROVEMENT compared to an nyc high school (btw: canarsie high school where the op is from is ranked like 1016).

Old 11-11-2011, 02:37 PM

25 posts, read 79,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerveza View Post
given the op's limited budget...... that high school isnt going to be great, but having gone there and had friends that gone to nyc schools I can say it will be a VAST IMPROVEMENT compared to an nyc high school (btw: canarsie high school where the op is from is ranked like 1016).
OP's kids don't have to go to Canarsie High. There is no zoning for high schools in NYC.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,305,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margandella View Post
OP's kids don't have to go to Canarsie High. There is no zoning for high schools in NYC.
Some parts yes, some parts no.

In Staten Island, kids go to a zoned school (though they have the option of going to others). In Manhattan, there are no zoned schools. In Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx, it varies by neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or