U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,724 times

Advertisements

Starting a job in midtown next fall and trying to narrow down the cities where I'll do some apartment searching.

Working right in the Metlife building above grand central.

Jersey City and Hoboken are the obvious ones and I'm really liking the Waterfront area of Jersey City. Just want to make sure I do my due diligence.

No family concerns (girlfriend is still in school so won't be moving with me for the time being).

Budget...$2000 is the sweet spot.

Willing to take on 1, possibly 2, roommates (meaning around $4000 for a 2 bed or $6000 for a 3 bed).

Willing to stretch my budget a bit on a 1 bedroom ($2300 or so).

Under an hour commute is ideal.

If I'm going to be on the water, I'd like some sort of view.

Anything out there besides being on right on the Path in Jersey City or Hoboken?

Any suggestions for buildings within those cities themselves?

Like The Pier and that building that sits right on the Grove St PATH in Jersey City.

Good bathrooms (bathtub!), good views, and good internet are my biggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 06:15 PM

51,245 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1986 View Post
Starting a job in midtown next fall and trying to narrow down the cities where I'll do some apartment searching.

Working right in the Metlife building above grand central.

Jersey City and Hoboken are the obvious ones and I'm really liking the Waterfront area of Jersey City. Just want to make sure I do my due diligence.

No family concerns (girlfriend is still in school so won't be moving with me for the time being).

Budget...$2000 is the sweet spot.

Willing to take on 1, possibly 2, roommates (meaning around $4000 for a 2 bed or $6000 for a 3 bed).

Willing to stretch my budget a bit on a 1 bedroom ($2300 or so).

Under an hour commute is ideal.

If I'm going to be on the water, I'd like some sort of view.

Anything out there besides being on right on the Path in Jersey City or Hoboken?

Any suggestions for buildings within those cities themselves?

Like The Pier and that building that sits right on the Grove St PATH in Jersey City.

Good bathrooms (bathtub!), good views, and good internet are my biggies.
I recently started working in that area, and today I walked around and was amazed at how many residential buildings there are now. Most of them have some sort of park or outdoor sitting area, and then there's the Waterfront Walkway. Don't know what the prices are, but anything with a view of the city--and what a view it is from down there--is going to cost more.

Other ideas are farther upriver in Fort Lee, and then your commute would be the shuttle bus across the bridge to the GWB Bus Station and then the NYC subway system, but you'd have to look at the map to figure out which trains would take you where you have to go.

Secaucus has some new apartment buildings near the Secaucus train station, which all the NJ Transit train lines pass through. From there it's a ten-minute ride to NY Penn Station, provide there's not a power problem, a disabled train stuck in the tunnel, or a signal problem that day.

I don't know what kind of view you'd get from there. The meadowlands, the turnpike, and probably the city in the distance.

They look pretty nice, though, and the one-bedrooms are in your budget.

(VR) Virtual Reality - Rent Apartments - Secaucus New Jersey

Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,632,390 times
The Apartments along the Waterfront start at 1800 and go to 4000 $$$ a month , if you go inland it drops to 1300-1500 $$$ a month and near Journal SQ its 1100-1300 $$ a month....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or