Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,264 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We will be relocating to NJ from Los Angeles in the next 6 months. Any advice you can give on potential towns to look at would be appreciated. I answered the questions in the sticky.

Moving from LA because of work, will be working in Berkeley Heights, NJ.

Looking to buy. Budget is $600k but maybe could go a little higher. Looking for a 3-4 BR house.

Family of 4, public schools are extremely important.

3 most important things:
1) Schools
2) Neighborhood (families with children)
3) Activities for kids (sports)

Would like to keep commute less than 30 minutes.

Towns that we've been hearing about: Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Madison, Chatham (not sure if we can afford?)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 PM

7 posts, read 16,641 times
Watchung is close to Berkeley Heights as is Warren...you can definitely get some great deals in any of these areas, all have great schools but Watchung will be a little pricier. I believe Berkeley Heights had a huge tax increase this year, so you want to check the property taxes (Watchung + Warren are fairly low). Weichert Realty seems to rule that area, so if you go to their website you can see what's for sale. For $600,000 you should be able to get a decent 3-4 bedroom. FYI - Berkeley Heights is in Union County, who had a 4% tax hike for ALL county residents whereas taxes in Watchung (Somerset County) remained stable.
It's still a buyers market, my friend lives in Watchung and the house on her cul de sac was listed for $799K, eventually sold for the low 6's. Good luck

Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 AM

206 posts, read 532,299 times
Those are all very good towns with terrific school systems. You can afford something with your budget in all of them, but the towns get pricier as your list goes on (BH cheapest, Chatham most expensive). Since you don't have a commute to NYC, i'd suggest staying right in BH or NP. NP is slightly closer to Summit/Chatham which have nice downtown areas, if that matters to you.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoNJ2013 View Post
Towns that we've been hearing about: Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Madison, Chatham (not sure if we can afford?)
Those are all fantastics towns and you can not go wrong with any of them. But if you want more bang for your buck AND are willing to commute up to 30 minutes each way, you may consider Bridgewater, Basking Ridge and Bernardsville - all 3 have great schools and offer very safe family oriented neighborhood.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
I think you should rent in a town recommended by others for a year or two before buying in a region you aren't familiar with.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
You cannot go wrong with any of the towns mentioned. Unless you have specific needs, I am sure you would find these towns acceptable. You can also look at Cranford and Westfield, two great towns with good schools, only about 20 minutes to Berkeley Heights. Good Luck

Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM

28 posts, read 77,322 times
I can't speak of Cranford, but all others are great recommendations. You can look as far west (down rt. 78) as Bedminster which has everything you've mentioned (great tax rate too), however, it will push the 30 minute mark. I'll throw in Liberty Corner as another option and maybe Madison (next to Chatham), but I'm more familiar with all of the others towns mentioned in the previous posts.

Without understanding everything (prioritization) that may go into your decision making (i.e., you may sacrafice a great house for a better school, etc.) I'll throw in Milburn, Summit and Short Hills (not sure if they even have a house there that "cheap"). Welcome and good Luck.

Last edited by nomad00; 02-22-2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Added towns

Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 PM

41 posts, read 170,890 times
Since you don't know the areas at all, I also suggest renting for a while so you can take your time with your investment... the towns all have very different feels. Google NJ Monthly top schools 2012 - and go from there. Basking Ridge is great - Bernardsville lovely, more "Country" feel. I live in and love Madison but if you don't need the train to NYC, you'll be paying more than you need to be, however this area does have more going on than some of the other areas mentioned as far as proximity to arts/restaurants/shops/nightlife etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey