U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 PM

5 posts, read 8,563 times

Advertisements

Please provide town suggestions given my situation. Thanks!

1. Budget $2500 - $3000 per month rent
2. Min 3 bed 2 bath
3. Need to commute to both Grand Central (NYC) and Teaneck (NJ) which is where my clients are and prefer to keep commute to less than 1 hour for both
4. Will be looking to drive to Teaneck and take public transportation to Grand Central
5. Good school district (elementary) and safe areas must

Thanks!
BE

Last edited by blackeagle; 11-07-2011 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,810,546 times
Tip-top schools, medium-length bus commute to city, close to Teaneck: Tenafly (might stretch budget)
Excellent schools, medium-to-long train commute to city, close to Teaneck: Fair Lawn
Excellent schools, short-to-medium train commute to city, a bit further from Teaneck: Rutherford
Worth looking into, as long as you understand the impacts of that high of an Asian population on the public school culture - short bus commute, reasonably close to Teaneck: Leonia & Fort Lee (might stretch budget).
Other towns to consider: New Milford, River Edge
Option worth considering if you only have one kid: Live in Teaneck itself or the nice part of Englewood, use private school. This will break even in terms of cost and give you a pretty convenient commute (just stay out of southwest Englewood)

edit: saw your other post in the Westchester forum. Westchester makes some sense if you will be going into the city much more frequently than to Teaneck, and Rockland if vice-versa and willing to trade off more bang for your hosing buck for a longer commute, but, if it is at all balanced you will want to stay in or near Bergen County.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 11-07-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Thanks for your detailed inputs. How about areas like Ridgewood? Is this outside my price point? Thanks.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,620,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle View Post
Thanks for your detailed inputs. How about areas like Ridgewood? Is this outside my price point? Thanks.
Its right within your budgets , however Commuting to the Grand Central part of Manhattan would easier if you lived in Westchester...

Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Housing prices never really dropped there (the opposite in fact) so less incentive for people to rent out entire homes. My *guess* is that any house in your range will be far from the train or have some issue, but, if you have the time it never hurts to look.

Glen Rock is a very similar town if Ridgewood in specific appeals to you.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 PM

And what about driving from Westchester to Teaneck? Isn't the GWB a pain?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Also another question @alackofcreativity - is parking at Ridgewood a problem? The thing is my client meetings in the city will just be for an hour or two and may be during anytime of the day and then I'll be back working from home. So I can't do the 7 am early come parking thing at any station.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:08 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,620,647 times
Quote:
Depending on what part of Westchester you live and once you master the highway system you can avoid the traffic. Your going away from the traffic by going into NJ in the morning...

Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
There are two ways to do Westchester to Teaneck.

The first is down through the Bronx, across the GWB, and then to Teaneck via route 4. This is a much more direct route and potentially faster (especially off-hours).

The second is across the Tappan Zee. Disadvantage of this is that it is further north; advantage is that it is substantially cheaper toll-wise, more predictable and much less trafficked.

The first gets ugly with traffic, the second is just really long distance wise (and also gets ugly with traffic if you are going east/west on 287 within Westchester).

If you do choose to go with Westchester for the Metro North commute, your best bet is probably going to be renting in Irvington (if you can get what you want in school district and budget, dunno prices here quite as well) and taking the TZB commute to Teaneck. You'll still spend 50min-hour doing it, but, you won't have the bumper-to-bumper stress of going through the city and the *variance* of your commute time will go down dramatically (which is really nice). Both the drive to Teaneck and the Metro North commute from here will be very consistent (relatively for NYC traffic, which isn't saying much but still).

Quote:
Also another question @alackofcreativity - is parking at Ridgewood a problem? The thing is my client meetings in the city will just be for an hour or two and may be during anytime of the day and then I'll be back working from home. So I can't do the 7 am early come parking thing at any station.
In all honesty, I can't adequately answer this. I have never had any trouble finding parking around town when meeting up with friends, but, never had any reason to go to the town during work hours, either, so don't have the relevant experience

Edit: I know you are trying to narrow your search not broaden it so this isn't helpful, but, a lot of city schools are decent at the elementary level; you might be able to find a good school district in Riverdale, which would give you all the advantages of living in the city, a nice safe area for the kids, a great commute into the city (well duh) and probably the best commute you can get to Teaneck from the other side of the Hudson.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 11-08-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 08:30 AM

390 posts, read 1,118,146 times
What's wrong with Teaneck itself? Parts of the town are absolutely beautiful and the school system is considered to be on par with or above many other Bergen County towns (Paramus, Westwood, Midland Park, etc)?

Last edited by labcjo; 11-09-2011 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey