U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-08-2011, 01:29 PM
 
1,516 posts, read 2,526,752 times
Reputation: 1166

Advertisements

Are you voting today? If yes, how do you find info about who to vote for? All I know of the candidates are from flyers in my mailbox, esp. for candidates in my town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM
 
1,446 posts, read 3,940,178 times
Reputation: 959
I vote in all elections...Can't say today per se since I cast an absentee ballot. But I still voted in these elections. Unlike most younger people under 35, I have voted in most elections since I became registered at the age of 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,289 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Reputation: 60194
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Are you voting today? If yes, how do you find info about who to vote for? All I know of the candidates are from flyers in my mailbox, esp. for candidates in my town...
I've been reading some things in the Asbury Park Press and Star-Ledger that helped me choose for whom I will vote. I mix it up, some Republican, some Democrat, and I've got at least one independent in mind that I like.

I feel obligated to vote, because my late father's ghost would haunt me if I didn't. He was a disabled WWII vet who took his obligation to vote seriously. However, I don't have a lot of faith that any of them are really any different from any of the others, especially in NJ politics. They're all lying on some level.

But, I will vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 01:57 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,736,274 times
Reputation: 3681
i'm voting, and so is my wife. we'll be part of the 32% or so that ends up voting today. then when the other 68% moan about what goes on, I'll tell them to shove it and go home since that's what they did on November 8th.

as for as getting info, i follow passively throughout the year, and then as it gets closer i go online and do some research, and when possible, speak to the candidates directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM
 
3,269 posts, read 8,724,861 times
Reputation: 2003
RIP George Carlin:

"I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 04:11 PM
 
13,570 posts, read 16,078,259 times
Reputation: 18042
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'm voting, and so is my wife. we'll be part of the 32% or so that ends up voting today. then when the other 68% moan about what goes on, I'll tell them to shove it and go home since that's what they did on November 8th.

as for as getting info, i follow passively throughout the year, and then as it gets closer i go online and do some research, and when possible, speak to the candidates directly.
+1
I have never missed an election (with the exception of one or two school board elections that took place while I was ill) in the 40+ years that I have been voting. My choices on today's ballot included some Republicans and some Democrats. Anyone who votes a straight party line has probably not really done his/her necessary due diligence in order to see what each candidate stands for, and what each one's voting record actually is.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
RIP George Carlin:

"I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."

While I did admire Mr. Carlin's intelligence and his sense of humor, I hope you do realize that his comments for publication represented an attempt at humor rather than anything totally rational in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 05:49 PM
 
1,787 posts, read 4,800,063 times
Reputation: 1276
I also research on the internet; I google the names and read, read, read. I don't vote straight party lines. I vote for the person I think would be the best for the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,289 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Reputation: 60194
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I also research on the internet; I google the names and read, read, read. I don't vote straight party lines. I vote for the person I think would be the best for the position.
That's really the only sensible way to vote, IMO.

I voted.

I am interested in finding out what percentage voted this time. I read that 32% voter turnout number, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
15,044 posts, read 13,106,118 times
Reputation: 6420
I voted. It's our civic duty and one that I take seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,690 posts, read 28,576,098 times
Reputation: 14625
i vote straight republican party line unless the tea party endorses someone in another party, which im not aware of happening in my district. im not really sure why someone would vote for both republicans and democrats when they are choosing legislators, legislators vote along party lines. it would make more sense when it comes to politicial exectutives like mayors and governors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top