Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
A full dishwasher actually uses less water than it takes to hand-wash the same quantity of dishes and utensils by hand!

Would a person who lives alone really ever have to fill up a dishwasher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 02:35 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Yup!
I run a full load of dishes, mugs, glasses, and utensils once every 5-6 days.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 PM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
A full dishwasher actually uses less water than it takes to hand-wash the same quantity of dishes and utensils by hand!
I was thinking that might be the case. Dishwashers are so efficient now.

The previous owners must have removed it and put in some drawers when they installed new cabinets. I remember the inspector pointing that out and saying it would not be a big deal to remove them and put one in if I wanted. It's something I will probably do if I ever decide to sell this place, but I'm not worrying about it right now.

I use the sink a lot to wash out the cat bowls and whatnot, so I probably am using more than I would if I actually had a dishwasher

Old 01-24-2018, 11:30 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I hate to have those few things hang around for days, so I heat up water in the microwave and wash them. When my son comes over and we cook up a storm, the dishwasher does it's job.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was thinking that might be the case. Dishwashers are so efficient now.

The previous owners must have removed it and put in some drawers when they installed new cabinets. I remember the inspector pointing that out and saying it would not be a big deal to remove them and put one in if I wanted. It's something I will probably do if I ever decide to sell this place, but I'm not worrying about it right now.

I use the sink a lot to wash out the cat bowls and whatnot, so I probably am using more than I would if I actually had a dishwasher
Oh, you're the only person in NJ to not have a dishwasher.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:46 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Actually, I have an old friend whose dishwasher died ~20 years ago, and he has never replaced it. But, unlike most people who hand-wash their dishes, he doesn't run-up big expenses for hot water because he washes them in cold water!
I think that Gerania just might recall the person to whom I am referring.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:43 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
LOL, probably, and I don't care. I live alone and rarely have visitors. I don't use the dishes I have. As a matter of fact, a friend was complaining that she was running out of wine glasses, so I pulled six out of my cabinet and gave them to her. (She lives in the same condo complex and still has the dishwasher.)

Sometimes, though, at the end of a run of three days in a row of working, I will be amazed to find three or four mugs, a couple of glasses, bowls, plates, etc., in the sink. How am I using all those dishes just by myself? Why don't I just rinse out ONE mug? Use one plate?

When I first moved to Monmouth County, I rented in a two-family house for nine months while I condo-shopped. Beautiful kitchen with brandy-new appliances. I used the dishwasher three times while I lived there, and all three times it was because my daughter visited me from college and cooked or baked.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Actually, I have an old friend whose dishwasher died ~20 years ago, and he has never replaced it. But, unlike most people who hand-wash their dishes, he doesn't run-up big expenses for hot water because he washes them in cold water!
I think that Gerania just might recall the person to whom I am referring.
He's the foot fungus guy.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, probably, and I don't care. I live alone and rarely have visitors. I don't use the dishes I have. As a matter of fact, a friend was complaining that she was running out of wine glasses, so I pulled six out of my cabinet and gave them to her. (She lives in the same condo complex and still has the dishwasher.)

Sometimes, though, at the end of a run of three days in a row of working, I will be amazed to find three or four mugs, a couple of glasses, bowls, plates, etc., in the sink. How am I using all those dishes just by myself? Why don't I just rinse out ONE mug? Use one plate?

When I first moved to Monmouth County, I rented in a two-family house for nine months while I condo-shopped. Beautiful kitchen with brandy-new appliances. I used the dishwasher three times while I lived there, and all three times it was because my daughter visited me from college and cooked or baked.
I don't usually dirty enough dishes to bother using mine. It'd take two weeks to fill the thing. I'd run out of clean mugs!

There are dirty dishes in my sink right now. I have a cold and I feel terrible. I wish that Barbara Eden would drop by and make them go away. Maybe I'll hide them in the dishwasher.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Throw them out the window!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey