U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 04:19 AM

1,495 posts, read 4,436,796 times

Advertisements

What is this town like. I've seen some houses in our range, but I don't have time to go see them for another couple of weeks. What are the demographics like? Is it safe? any walkable downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 AM

668 posts, read 1,844,152 times
Look up all you can about the town. Its News paper should be online, so you can scour the Police Reports, and if it has a Television Station around, check its home page out and see what they say about the town.

You can email the Schools and see what they are like, and get to know the Councelors so that they will give you the 'real scoop' on the city. Dont bother contacting the Mayor or City Council members, cause they will rave about the town, even if its a bust...

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 AM

1,289 posts, read 5,438,292 times
South River is a small quiet town that is only about 3 square miles in size but due to all the larger neighboring towns (East Brunswick, Sayreville, and Old Bridge), you are never too far from anything. All major highways are within a few miles drive of the town (Route 18, Route 1, Route 9, Route 35, NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, etc.) which makes it very accessible. South River is also pretty diverse and there of course highly desirable sections (Everything off Old Bridge Turnpike), and less desirable sections (Water Street area), just like any other town.

The town overall is safe with little violence, much like most of Middlesex County. The highest violence areas within the county are within Perth Amboy and New Brunswick which you are plenty distance from you.

Lastly the schools are well ranked for the tax bracket. The best schools in the county are in East Brunswick and South Brunswick but your taxes are higher so you get what you pay for in essence. All of the schools are next to eachother off Old Bridge Turnpike which is convenient. Due to the small size of the town, the graduating classes are not as large, which is good for the students as well.

If you require anymore information, I would suggest you visit this link, you should be able to find everything you require, minus real estate data of course. Here is the link:

South River, New Jersey

Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,402,100 times
I have many friends from South River. While it has its known reputation as a multi-generation working class town, some parts of it have slid for the worst over the last ten years. Lots of the residents of the New Brunswick projects were "transported" to The River when the route 18 projects were knocked down in the late 1990s. Most of it is concentrated to the areas near Ferry and Main Streets near the bridge into Sayreville. And most of Main St. is rather gritty and "ghetto" looking. That said, the whole town certainly is not like this. The areas close to Old Bridge Tpk and the East Brunswick border are still pretty solid and there are even a few new developments going up with houses priced over $500K, which is way overpriced for SR, IMO. There are some beautiful old houses on the southern portion of Main St. going toward EB that really have a lot of potential, but the owners do not seem to keep them up all that well unfortunately.

Given all of the above, I think you can probably find better options in this general region. I have lived around here my whole life and am very familiar with the area. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey