U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM

14 posts, read 31,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairJoe View Post
And I'll stand by the implication of my analysis above: if you took the teachers and facilities from Montclair and plopped them down in Millburn and Tenafly and Glen Ridge, you'd likely get the same results in those communities that you see now, and if you did the same thing in the reverse direction, the teachers from Glen Ridge (or Tenafly or Millburn) would likely not improve Montclair's test-results or rankings.
the only people who rave about Montclair schools are those who ignore test scores. The school SYSTEM is average at best.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM

9 posts, read 47,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentofboys View Post
the only people who rave about Montclair schools are those who ignore test scores.
Um, no.

Read post #17, above.

Here are the relevant data-sets (you know, "test scores") if you don't want to read the whole thing:

Glen Ridge
bit.ly/GW6bt3

Millburn:
bit.ly/GYsiUb

Tenafly:
bit.ly/H10gZ9

These demonstrate that, if Montclair (the town) was as white and as high-SES as the three towns listed above are, then its school system would end up at the top of those stupidly-naive "top schools" rankings, such as the one compiled by NJ Monthly, alongside these three other school systems.

But thank goodness, as far as I'm concerned, that Montclair *isn't* as homogenous as those other communities. Its diversity, both demographic and economic, is a very positive thing.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 PM

14 posts, read 31,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairJoe View Post
These demonstrate that, if Montclair (the town) was as white and as high-SES as the three towns listed above are, then its school system would end up at the top of those stupidly-naive "top schools" rankings, such as the one compiled by NJ Monthly, alongside these three other school systems.

But thank goodness, as far as I'm concerned, that Montclair *isn't* as homogenous as those other communities. Its diversity, both demographic and economic, is a very positive thing.
The ratings are for the school system. Just because you do not like the criteria for the ranking does not mean it has no value. You seem to be using the data which is convenient for you to argue your case. A school system does not rank the students only. It ranks the system as a whole which makes Monclair not even a top 100 school.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM

9 posts, read 47,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentofboys View Post
The ratings are for the school system. Just because you do not like the criteria for the ranking does not mean it has no value. You seem to be using the data which is convenient for you to argue your case. A school system does not rank the students only. It ranks the system as a whole which makes Monclair not even a top 100 school.
The methodology for NJ Monthly's rankings rests very heavily, indeed almost exclusively, on student outcomes. Here's the explanation, from the horse's mouth:

2010 Top High Schools in New Jersey: Methodology

My problem isn't with the stated criteria here. It's with the fact that there's no attempt to factor in SES variables. That's really just one problem---but it's a BIG problem!

There are legitimate statistical methods for comparing demographic apples and oranges. Not attempting to do so means that the method is essentially punishing a school system (and a community) for not segregating itself away from people with low socio-economic status.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM

32 posts, read 97,457 times
Schooldigger.com really scared me away from West Orange, Maplewood and Montclair although these are towns I would love to move to! Please tell me the schools are actually good?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 AM

28 posts, read 80,534 times
I am also interested in moving to Montclair, but I'm interested in renting. I am not concerned about the school system because I've heard feedback from very reliable and trustworthy sources that the schools in Montclair are excellent! Does anyone have any feedback on what it's like to live in Montclair as a renter?

Last edited by BarBelle; 04-09-2012 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 AM

334 posts, read 597,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbenedictnj View Post
Schooldigger.com really scared me away from West Orange, Maplewood and Montclair although these are towns I would love to move to! Please tell me the schools are actually good?

Was curious about what information would be available about West Orange's schools, so I checked out this website. Little or no information...you need to find a better search alternative. We moved into town two years ago and I have heard pretty good things about the school system. We wanted our child to graduate with the childhood friends she has grown up with in a k-8 parochial school, so we will be starting her at the high school in a year.

Full disclosure, I am an educator in a bergen county district and West Orange is a decent middle of the pack school where normal motivated students will do just fine.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,567 times
Default Thank you

Thank you so much for this. I am a working professional who had to work hard to get to my level of career. I have been looking for a NON RACIST area in NJ. We moved to Jersey City from Booklyn, NY because I was laid off 2 years ago. Since then, my daughter has been in 3 different schools. She has been bullyed and picked on because shes African American. She cries everyday after school and I hate it. I want to move but I am so scared becuase I have never been exposed to this racism stuff before. Its HORRIBLE to treat someone bad because of their skin color! I am going to check out Mountclair and see if its right for us. Can you suggest any schools or areas that are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
Whoever told you Montclair's schools aren't good is insane, or lives in Glen Ridge. I hate to say this, but you hear this nonsense all the time about Montclair High and Columbia High School not being good schools (Maplewood and South Orange share Columbia High School), even though they're ranked on par or higher than towns like Fair Lawn, Paramus, Midland Park, Waldwick, and Westwood (which you'll never hear a peep about not being good schools). It's because black students go there. I hate, HATE accuse anyone of racism. I really do, but I can't figure out another reason why you hear bad things about Montclair and Columbia, but not Fair Lawn and Paramus. IGNORE IT. They're ignorant remarks. The schools in Montclair are fantastic, highly regarded, and the magnet system with the elementary schools makes it even more appealing. Please also keep in mind that New Jersey schools are amongst the highest preforming in the COUNTRY, and with the exception of our inner city schools, most of our schools are fantastic - and are the main draw of living in the state!

That being said. Pros:

- Old, beautiful, homes with tons of character.
- Two awesome downtowns with lots of non chain stores. you can avoid highways for the most part living here!
- Best restaurant scene in New Jersey
- Lots of culture - from an Art Museum to an Independent Movie theater to it's own Minor league baseball team and university.
- A liberal, unstuffy atmosphere. Despite its wealth, Montclair is much more "Brooklyn" than it is "Upper West Side". It's just a cool place to live.
- The town runs the gambit from ultra wealthy (most of it) to working class, to poor (a small portion of the town). Your kids will come out much less sheltered.
- A super tight sense of community. Just check out baristanet.com. People care more about their town in Montclair than any other town I've seen.
- Short commute to new york by train. 35-40 minuts to Penn Station direct via train.

Cons:

- Taxes are higher. Welcome to New Jersey. That being said, Montclair is higher than most of the surrounding towns (Glen Ridge being the exception).
- Crime way below the national average in Montclair, and way below New York City. However, it is higher than wealthy towns in other counties. Crime in higher in wealthy towns in most of Essex County (Glen Ridge, Montclair, Maplewood, South Orange, Millburn, etc) than say wealthy towns in Bergen County (Glen Rock, Ridgewood, Franklin Lakes) - given the proximity to New Jerseys urban areas - namely Newark and East Orange. However, crime is still WAY below average, and violent crime is very, very low. Most of the crime is property crime, and in Montclair, it remains isolated to a few small areas you'll want to avoid. The benefit is you get a much more young and diverse feel in Essex than in Bergen. You want to avoid living too close to Bloomfield Ave (north or south of it), and the areas around Glenfield Park, Lacawana Plaza, and Canterbury Park.

In your price range you can find nice homes in both the southern portion of town in the "Estate Section" and north of Watchung Ave in "Upper Montclair". Both are incredibly safe parts of town, and you can choose to send your children to whichever elementary school you'd like!

Neighboring Glen Ridge can also be an option in that price range (Basically the five streets east of Montclair). The school system is ranked top five, but only because Glen Ridge is VERY small (under 7,000 people) and everyone in it is wealthy, so more kids go to college. Your kids end up with spending time with other wealthy kids and families. The pros and cons of this are certainly up to you to judge. The homes in Glen Ridge are also old and beautiful, and the street is lit with charming gas lamps! There is no downtown, but you have easy access to Montclair's, and the entire town is breeming with kids playing everywhere.

I live right on the Glen Ridge/Montclair border, so any other questions feel free to ask!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 AM

88 posts, read 301,604 times
If you're talking about the Montclair public schools, they have a magnet school system which means you can send your child to any one of the schools, no matter how far you live from it. They have school buses which can take your child across town, if that is the school you choose. Although they all share the same curriculum, each elememtary school has a different focus such as science,technology, arts, global themes, Montessorri, etc. I'm sure your daughter would not have a problem in Montclair.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM

271 posts, read 824,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
Was curious about what information would be available about West Orange's schools, so I checked out this website. Little or no information...you need to find a better search alternative. We moved into town two years ago and I have heard pretty good things about the school system. We wanted our child to graduate with the childhood friends she has grown up with in a k-8 parochial school, so we will be starting her at the high school in a year.

Full disclosure, I am an educator in a bergen county district and West Orange is a decent middle of the pack school where normal motivated students will do just fine.
Well I use greatschools.com and neighborhood scout and both of them didn't have good things about West Orange, so I stayed away. But the town looks very beautiful for the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey