U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 AM

334 posts, read 597,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by re_alvz View Post
Well I use greatschools.com and neighborhood scout and both of them didn't have good things about West Orange, so I stayed away. But the town looks very beautiful for the price.
West Orange has a small section of town that is a little rough around the edges...most other areas are pretty nice and safe...the middle school curriculum and facilities were great when I went to the open house two weeks ago...I guess it all boils down to perception. My wife and daughter have worked, gone to school and socialized in Nutley for the past 8 years and neither wanted to live there when the time came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 AM

271 posts, read 824,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
West Orange has a small section of town that is a little rough around the edges...most other areas are pretty nice and safe...the middle school curriculum and facilities were great when I went to the open house two weeks ago...I guess it all boils down to perception. My wife and daughter have worked, gone to school and socialized in Nutley for the past 8 years and neither wanted to live there when the time came.
Thats very interesting... Why not Nutley?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Thats very interesting... Why not Nutley?
For starters, not as nice overall in our opinion. West Orange feels more suburban, a little more open space. i live less than 2 miles from 2 reservations, 2 golf courses, 1 zoo, and 1 county park with access to a lake with boating options. Also, small town with some people that have too much time on their hands so the gossipping can be annoying.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 AM

271 posts, read 824,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
For starters, not as nice overall in our opinion. West Orange feels more suburban, a little more open space. i live less than 2 miles from 2 reservations, 2 golf courses, 1 zoo, and 1 county park with access to a lake with boating options. Also, small town with some people that have too much time on their hands so the gossipping can be annoying.
I agree West Orange is more suburban than Nutley. Much greener and much bigger lots. When we were moving, we chose Nutley over WO because of the middle school and commute to NYC.

Also, personally I like small town feel to Nutley.

And yes, taxes in WO seemed somewhat outrageous, even from Essex standards.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I agree West Orange is more suburban than Nutley. Much greener and much bigger lots. When we were moving, we chose Nutley over WO because of the middle school and commute to NYC.

Also, personally I like small town feel to Nutley.

And yes, taxes in WO seemed somewhat outrageous, even from Essex standards.
My taxes aren't bad actually...I live in a Cape but have a nice sized backyard. But on the average, the taxes are higher here.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM

54 posts, read 129,708 times
Well..I think I may have found a place in Montclair ( I have another thread up detailing my exhaustive search), BUT it's on Bloomfield Avenue, where a previous poster said to stay away from. (800 block). I'm going up there to see it on Saturday, and I have to be honest...for the price and the amenities, if I like it and it works out, I'll be taking a chance and taking the place! I still welcome feedback (or I wouldn't put this here), but yeah, I'm on a budget..it is what it is!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 PM

6,272 posts, read 15,523,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCoffee View Post
Well..I think I may have found a place in Montclair ( I have another thread up detailing my exhaustive search), BUT it's on Bloomfield Avenue, where a previous poster said to stay away from. (800 block). I'm going up there to see it on Saturday, and I have to be honest...for the price and the amenities, if I like it and it works out, I'll be taking a chance and taking the place! I still welcome feedback (or I wouldn't put this here), but yeah, I'm on a budget..it is what it is!!!

That area of Bloomfield Ave is very nice, IMO. You may have some traffic noise (Bloomfield Ave is a busy road), but it's not a "bad part" of town.

I lived very close to there (Claremont at Highland) up until about 5 years ago. The positives are: nice neighborhood, lots of trees, walking distance to Whole Foods and all of Montclair Center for that matter, walking distance into Eagle Rock Reservation (great for jogs or long walks), short bike ride to Edgemont Park, Upper Montclair, and Verona. The only negatives for me were the commute to Manhattan, it was a bit too quiet for my taste at the time (I was in my early 20s), and although the restaurants were great I was too young/poor to afford to take advantage very often.

Regarding the commute, I used the DeCamp 33G bus. It stopped right in front of my apartment, but living near the beginning of the bus route, I had to ride all over Montclair Township before the bus eventually got onto the highway. It took a long time. Also, my job was not very close to the PABT (Kips Bay), so getting to the city was just part of my "battle" each morning. I tried the train, which got me a little closer to the office, but from way "up the hill" on Claremont it was a long walk (about 25 minutes) to the Walnut Street station. I tried riding my bike to the train, but it was vandalized on two occasions while locked up at the station, so I didn't feel comfortable leaving it there. This was before folding bikes became popular, which would've helped the situation, I think.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:45 PM

54 posts, read 129,708 times
Hey, THANKS for that input! I am in my early thirties and will be a full time graduate student. There needs to be some quiet, but then, I would like to be able to get involved in fun stuff easily too! I sure do feel reassured now.

What is the closest train station to this area, by the way? I don't need to be in NYC at this point (as long as I can get there, I'm good), but I'm curious.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 PM

454 posts, read 942,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarBelle View Post
I am also interested in moving to Montclair, but I'm interested in renting. I am not concerned about the school system because I've heard feedback from very reliable and trustworthy sources that the schools in Montclair are excellent! Does anyone have any feedback on what it's like to live in Montclair as a renter?
I've been renting since I've moved back in '05. It's been nice watching prices drop, though they are headed back up again. I would like to make improvements to where I live but don't mind not spending the money and smaller kids would probably trash it anyway. There is a wide variety or rental property from single families to apartment buildings. Rent may not be that cheap, but the alternative is carrying taxes in addition to mortgage. The rental market is pretty tight right now.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 PM

9,334 posts, read 13,874,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCoffee View Post
What is the closest train station to this area, by the way? I don't need to be in NYC at this point (as long as I can get there, I'm good), but I'm curious.
Bay Street and Walnut Street are both pretty close, but not really walkable. I think there's a shuttle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey