U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,688,957 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned the people are somewhat doushy, not Hoboken level doushy, hopefully?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 AM

88 posts, read 301,498 times
How did that Bloomfield Ave. apartment work out for you?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,411 times
how hard would it be for someone in their mid to late 40's with no college degree but a dozen years at the same work place to find a job there? Also Someone who does not know anybody from anywhere around there. (Being from the west coast in a tiny depressed town and never really traveled anywhere). How difficult would it be do you think to relocate? I am a single grandma raising my granddaughter it is a struggle daily to get by here where we are and I would like her to be safe and be able to provide for her.

Just searching for a possible new place to raise my granddaughter.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM

1,145 posts, read 854,703 times
New Jersey would be a bad choice unless you have a skill that is in demand in this area (such as in the financial industry). It's a great place to raise kids, but the cost of living is among the highest in the country and NJ has one of the country's highest unemployment rates. A lot of people are struggling here.

For mid-level jobs (admin, retail, medical, etc.), salaries are no higher than elsewhere in the country. The higher cost of living means you'd probably be worse off than you are now.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 AM

3,726 posts, read 8,498,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post

For mid-level jobs (admin, retail, medical, etc.), salaries are no higher than elsewhere in the country. The higher cost of living means you'd probably be worse off than you are now.
Even highly skilled jobs really don't pay any more in NJ than anywhere else. My friend is an engineer living in Georgia and he gets paid the same as my friend who is the same type of engineer in NJ. My friend in Georgia has a 2700 sq ft. house on an acre of land and he paid $225k. My friend in NJ paid $350k for an 1800 sq ft house on 1/3 acre of land. I won't even get into the taxes...

Old 07-19-2013, 11:28 PM

19 posts, read 120,719 times
As someone who lived elsewhere in NJ for 7 years, and has lived in Montclair for the last 3 years, I just want to add my 2 cents.

Montclair Alternatives
If you like Montclair because of it's "urban meets suburban" feel or value its diversity of all kinds (age, race, income), I think the only other possibility is Maplewood/South Orange. If you like Montclair because it has some good restaurants and beautiful houses, but you care less about the urbaness and the diversity, etc... the other towns mentioned, Milburn, Madison, Chatham might be good options. Just be aware that those towns are true suburbs. Montclair really does have an urban feel or edge to it. Some people thrive on that; it makes others uncomfortable. Many of the people who move from NYC out to Montclair find it an easier transition than to those other smaller towns.

Commute
I would be very careful about equating the commute from Morris County to the commute from Montclair or Maplewood. The further out you get the longer the train ride. Period. Also, once you get further out, you may only have 1 direct train home from NY and it is at say, 7:00 pm. A colleague had this happen often, and he was stuck. Would have to take a car home if he ended up working late. Maybe that has changed over time, but it was a major pain for him.

Also, if you're looking in Montclair and want to a shorter train ride than Upper Montclair, you can consider the estate section, in the southwest part of town. There are many multi-million dollar homes, but also several in the $800-1 million range. You can easily drive to the stations at Bay St. (Montclair), Glen Ridge or Bloomfield which are shorter trips to NYC. Parking at Bay St. and Glen Ridge is a real PITA. BUT, we just got a non-resident parking permit at the Bloomfield station (only on wait list for less than 1 month). This has vastly improved my husband's commute: it's faster to drive to that station than to the Montclair station and the train ride itself is about 5 minutes shorter (avg. 30-35 minutes).

Magnet school system
I just have to say that while I am sure the schools in Millburn, Madison, etc... are excellent, I would not trade the education my kids are getting in Montclair schools for anything. Montclair on the whole may not test as well these other schools, but if you compare test scores of specific demographic groups you will see they are pretty equal. Further, there are so many intangible benefits to the Montclair system that can't be scored or ranked.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 PM

39 posts, read 54,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagirl View Post
As someone who lived elsewhere in NJ for 7 years, and has lived in Montclair for the last 3 years, I just want to add my 2 cents.

Montclair Alternatives
If you like Montclair because of it's "urban meets suburban" feel or value its diversity of all kinds (age, race, income), I think the only other possibility is Maplewood/South Orange. If you like Montclair because it has some good restaurants and beautiful houses, but you care less about the urbaness and the diversity, etc... the other towns mentioned, Milburn, Madison, Chatham might be good options. Just be aware that those towns are true suburbs. Montclair really does have an urban feel or edge to it. Some people thrive on that; it makes others uncomfortable. Many of the people who move from NYC out to Montclair find it an easier transition than to those other smaller towns.

Commute
I would be very careful about equating the commute from Morris County to the commute from Montclair or Maplewood. The further out you get the longer the train ride. Period. Also, once you get further out, you may only have 1 direct train home from NY and it is at say, 7:00 pm. A colleague had this happen often, and he was stuck. Would have to take a car home if he ended up working late. Maybe that has changed over time, but it was a major pain for him.

Also, if you're looking in Montclair and want to a shorter train ride than Upper Montclair, you can consider the estate section, in the southwest part of town. There are many multi-million dollar homes, but also several in the $800-1 million range. You can easily drive to the stations at Bay St. (Montclair), Glen Ridge or Bloomfield which are shorter trips to NYC. Parking at Bay St. and Glen Ridge is a real PITA. BUT, we just got a non-resident parking permit at the Bloomfield station (only on wait list for less than 1 month). This has vastly improved my husband's commute: it's faster to drive to that station than to the Montclair station and the train ride itself is about 5 minutes shorter (avg. 30-35 minutes).

Magnet school system
I just have to say that while I am sure the schools in Millburn, Madison, etc... are excellent, I would not trade the education my kids are getting in Montclair schools for anything. Montclair on the whole may not test as well these other schools, but if you compare test scores of specific demographic groups you will see they are pretty equal. Further, there are so many intangible benefits to the Montclair system that can't be scored or ranked.
Thank you for taking the time to write this. We've been eyeing Montclair for the past 6 mos and these are some of the questions I had. I hear mixed reviews about the school system, but I'm told the test scores are thrown off a bit because of the socioeconomic diversity that Montclair has. Is that the same deal with Maplewood and SO? The main thing that scares us now are the taxes. But coming from Brooklyn we would prefer that urban feel. Can you elaborate a little more on the urban feel comparison of Maplewood and SO? Good downtown vibes there too ?

Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,747 times
Hi all,

We're thinking about Montclair as well. PrimeTime2013, where in Brooklyn are you located?
I spent a couple of days in Montclair last month and started to like the feel of it, even though I, too, swore I'd never live in Joisey, and I'm still a bit worried about wanting to go to NYC all the time, since we've lived there for 10 years. But I think as a family with two small kids it's a great option.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 PM

39 posts, read 54,714 times
Hey Elvis

We live in Midwood, Brooklyn now. I also think it's a great option but the school system doesn't have me convinced that the taxes are worth it. At least from what I've been reading so far.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,643,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime2013 View Post
Hey Elvis

We live in Midwood, Brooklyn now. I also think it's a great option but the school system doesn't have me convinced that the taxes are worth it. At least from what I've been reading so far.

It may be a good idea to wait a bit before moving to Montclair, at least until things get settled with the schools. Montclair divided over new assessments, a key part of controversial school plan | NJ.com

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey