U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,752 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Are there good public schools in Midwood? We definitely won't be able to spend tens of thousands of $ on a private school for our kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 PM
 
39 posts, read 54,787 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyElvis View Post
Are there good public schools in Midwood? We definitely won't be able to spend tens of thousands of $ on a private school for our kids.
Decent, not good. One of the main reasons we are leaving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 AM
 
3 posts, read 15,311 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSL0131 View Post
I am thinking of moving and am looking at Montclair, as well as a couple of Westchester river towns (Irvington and Hastings on Hudson). It seems like my kind of town -- full of displaced New Yorkers like me. But I have a few concerns. First of all, I have heard that the schools aren't great, but I don't know what is meant by that. Can anyone give me the 411 on the Montclair elementary schools? Which are the best ones and what exactly is a magnet school? Also, how do the schools compare to other NJ schools or the P.S. 234 school in Tribeca, when it comes to performance, extracurricular classes and activities and resources for working parents (like after school programs)? Also, what are the different neighborhoods of Montclair like? I want to live in a nice, safe and pretty neighborhood of mostly professional types like me where my 8 year old is able to bike over to the neighbor's house without my worrying about her. My house budget is $700-800k. Finally, what's the scoop on commuting? I hear it can be a bit of an ordeal (I work in midtown). Thank you for any input you can provide!!!
I went to Montclair Public High, so did my 3 cousins, there are drugs running everywhere. consider this is a rich town, that has mix of lower montclair and upper montclair, this mixture creates a bad combination of lots of drugs and lots of slacking, if are willing to donate a lot of money to a good university for your kid to go there, then that's fine, if you want your kid to go to a good university on his/her own, not gonna happen from Montclair High School.


idk about private schools tho, i hear they're good but very expensive

Go Mounties !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2013, 12:00 AM
 
786 posts, read 792,686 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by izaksly View Post
I went to Montclair Public High, so did my 3 cousins, there are drugs running everywhere. consider this is a rich town, that has mix of lower montclair and upper montclair, this mixture creates a bad combination of lots of drugs and lots of slacking, if are willing to donate a lot of money to a good university for your kid to go there, then that's fine, if you want your kid to go to a good university on his/her own, not gonna happen from Montclair High School.


idk about private schools tho, i hear they're good but very expensive

Go Mounties !
what a ridiculous comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 10:56 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,303 times
Reputation: 14
Default montclair schools

Simple all of Montclair schools at best are mediocre. Just look at the NJ Department of Education numbers. They are not good. The high school academically is horrible. I live in Montclair and I am saying this. Close to 20% of Montclair residents opt out by 6th grade -- may dot enter the system at all. I do not know what some call a good education but this is not it. Do not confuse liking a teacher(s) with teaching competence. The town is wonderful except for the entire school system. You simply have to go private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 AM
 
1,160 posts, read 1,229,231 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_geo View Post
Simple all of Montclair schools at best are mediocre. Just look at the NJ Department of Education numbers. They are not good. The high school academically is horrible. I live in Montclair and I am saying this. Close to 20% of Montclair residents opt out by 6th grade -- may dot enter the system at all. I do not know what some call a good education but this is not it. Do not confuse liking a teacher(s) with teaching competence. The town is wonderful except for the entire school system. You simply have to go private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 08:06 PM
 
390 posts, read 1,119,416 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_geo View Post
Simple all of Montclair schools at best are mediocre. Just look at the NJ Department of Education numbers. They are not good. The high school academically is horrible. I live in Montclair and I am saying this. Close to 20% of Montclair residents opt out by 6th grade -- may dot enter the system at all. I do not know what some call a good education but this is not it. Do not confuse liking a teacher(s) with teaching competence. The town is wonderful except for the entire school system. You simply have to go private.
Only 14.8% of Montclair residents send their kids to private high school. That's a smaller percentage than Glen Ridge, Summit, and Millburn. It's a low amount.

The 85% of us that send our kids to Montclair high simply don't have to do anything. The education system is fantastic, and I'm sorry your children are missing out on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 03:00 PM
 
7 posts, read 8,259 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
Only 14.8% of Montclair residents send their kids to private high school. That's a smaller percentage than Glen Ridge, Summit, and Millburn. It's a low amount.

The 85% of us that send our kids to Montclair high simply don't have to do anything. The education system is fantastic, and I'm sorry your children are missing out on it.
Precisely. And, despite the influx of Essex County section 8 vouchers that have resulted in the importation of a few troubled kids and their value systems (or lack thereof), Montclair High School graduates more kids to IVY, Little IVY, Public IVY and International/Ancient academic institutions than Millburn or Westfield or Ridgewood for that matter. Anytime people point you to standardized test numbers, you have take into account the lower socio-economic struggle. Millburn is more homogeneous, but Montclair is just more interesting...more historical, more diverse and certainly has more character and charm. Our neighborhoods and their picturesque alleys, carriage houses, Victorian homes and Tudors are just chock full of history, as we have always been home to the movers and shakers of every industry. From prominent politicians and old blue families to some of the greatest movie producers in the industry to artists, musicians, academics, media executives, writers, entrepreneurs and educators, they can all be found in the Clair. Those who know, know. Also, none of this is limited any particular neighborhood. 07043 certainly doesn't have a monopoly on the more interesting residents, but those who have recently moved there from NYC and elsewhere can be a bit insular until they have children in the school system. It's through the birthday parties, playdates, easter egg hunts, bike races and endless social activities in town that you learn about the different wards/neighborhoods and the incredible personalities and the wealth of history found amongst such an incredibly pleasing assortment of architecture.

If you hate sidewalks and prefer a McMansion to something more sophisticated, then move out to Morris County or Livingston or somewhere up in Bergen. Montclair requires a certain outlook to appreciate its depth and the nuance of the many advantages to be had in spite of our high taxes. The private schools (Lacordaire, MKA, etc) attract the best and brightest from elsewhere, but for the most part, the majority of residents in town send their children to our public schools. You can pick from STEM, Montessori, etc.. They're all quite good and foster an environment where children can grow and develop, especially with the level of input and volunteer work exhibited by the very smart collection of parents, most of whom sport advanced degrees from the premiere Universities on this planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top