U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 AM

6,523 posts, read 9,840,667 times

Advertisements

Happy Veteran's Days and thank you to the veterans of New Jersey and elsewhere. Land of the free, because of the brave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 AM

51,559 posts, read 50,819,831 times
I second that. (Daughter of a now-deceased 100% disabled WWII veteran.)

Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 AM

8,160 posts, read 11,917,579 times
Thank you to all Veterans.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 AM

22,815 posts, read 28,698,284 times
my granpda was a ww2 vet. i dont think he was particularly proud of it, he never spoke highly of it, but he was an awesome guy and he killed people.

thanks to the veterans who go through hell for us.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:56 AM

1,203 posts, read 2,502,818 times
Thanks dad and all vets for putting yourselves on the line, whether by choice or draft, whether you agree with a war or not. It's something very few are willing to do.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my granpda was a ww2 vet. i dont think he was particularly proud of it, he never spoke highly of it, but he was an awesome guy and he killed people.

thanks to the veterans who go through hell for us.
Many of them, then and now, don't want to talk about what they experienced.

If there is anyone on here who likes to read, I recommend The Liberators--America's Witnesses to the Holocaust, which came out last year.

The author interviewed vets now in their 80's and 90's who were the first on hand in the concentration camps. Some of them were telling their stories for the first time--their own wives didn't know what they had seen and done. After WWII, the attitude was often, "You're alive, be happy, forget about the war, let's get on with living", and they put those memories away for 50, 60 years. It was a hard book to read and a hard book to put down.

I imagine the experiences of the vets now coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq will be similarly ignored.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 AM

22,815 posts, read 28,698,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Many of them, then and now, don't want to talk about what they experienced.

If there is anyone on here who likes to read, I recommend The Liberators--America's Witnesses to the Holocaust, which came out last year.

The author interviewed vets now in their 80's and 90's who were the first on hand in the concentration camps. Some of them were telling their stories for the first time--their own wives didn't know what they had seen and done. After WWII, the attitude was often, "You're alive, be happy, forget about the war, let's get on with living", and they put those memories away for 50, 60 years. It was a hard book to read and a hard book to put down.

I imagine the experiences of the vets now coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq will be similarly ignored.
i believe i was the only one who asked my grandpa for war stories. they were very interesting to me. he was drafted and jewish and felt very much out of place among the military. he would talk about the attitudes of the others and how they were more gung ho. he said they were like some song which went "onward christian soldiers." i dont know the song. he had negative things to say about soldiers that would murder civilians for fun. he also had negative things to say about soldiers that were undisciplined and shot at their fellow soldiers mistakenly. he had one story where he saved the men under his command, not sure if that would go over too well except for the families of the men whose lives he probably saved.

as i see it, these guys go through hell and without someone going through hell, we would all basically be screwed. i have a great deal of respect for them and they need to be respected because most of us would never want to go through what they do.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i believe i was the only one who asked my grandpa for war stories. they were very interesting to me. he was drafted and jewish and felt very much out of place among the military. he would talk about the attitudes of the others and how they were more gung ho. he said they were like some song which went "onward christian soldiers." i dont know the song. he had negative things to say about soldiers that would murder civilians for fun. he also had negative things to say about soldiers that were undisciplined and shot at their fellow soldiers mistakenly. he had one story where he saved the men under his command, not sure if that would go over too well except for the families of the men whose lives he probably saved.

as i see it, these guys go through hell and without someone going through hell, we would all basically be screwed. i have a great deal of respect for them and they need to be respected because most of us would never want to go through what they do.
I'm glad you asked your grandpa for his stories. Hats off to him. Yes, I imagine being at war brings out the best and worst in humanity. Some of the old movies glorified what was hell, as you pointed out.

Just for trivia's sake, "Onward, Christian Soldiers" is the official hymn of The Salvation Army!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or