U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,182 times

Advertisements

Hey I recently got a great job in Clark and will be moving to NJ in less than a month. The company will be paying for my housing for 3 months so I will more than likely be in clark until march. Im trying to figure out where I should live after that 3 months is up. I currently live in DC so I am used to a pretty lively lifestyle. I've been told to look into Rahway, linden, Roselle/Roselle Park, and South Orange.

Im 21 years old so I would like to be around people my demographic. I will be renting, looking to spend no more than 1200 a month for a nice apartment.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM

13,563 posts, read 16,060,181 times
I would suggest that you cross Roselle off from your list--unless your definition of "lively" includes murder, rape, mugging, car theft, and other crimes which are rampant in Roselle. Roselle Park presents a safer alternative to Roselle.

However, none of the communities on your list will have a truly vibrant lifestyle for a younger person. You might want to add New Brunswick, which does have a lot going on for the 20-30 set, to your list.

South Orange is really not a convenient commute to Clark.
However--in truth--none of the communities on your list are ones in which I would walk around at night, although younger folk would likely disagree with me.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 PM

is South Brunswick convenient both to Clark and NYC?

Old 11-12-2011, 12:13 AM

3,994 posts, read 8,724,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post

Probably a 35-50 minute commute to Clark, not really convenient for NYC.

only place you are gonna be living among a lot of people your age is in Hoboken and you would probably have to share an APT.

Housing is usually too expensive for 21 year olds in NJ unless in a roommate situation.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:15 PM

salary will be 60000. how much are studio apartments usually in rahway/Hoboken?

Old 11-13-2011, 05:44 PM

36 posts, read 78,233 times
New Brusnwick is a college town, that means it's a party town, it also isin't the safest place to live. I know I work there and I hear stories I've heard that there were some recent muggings.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM

3,726 posts, read 8,498,586 times
Quote:
There is nothing "lively" about South Brunswick. That town would fit the definition of suburban sprawl. It's not convenient to Clark or NYC. I would look into New Brunswick. It's a college town so you'll get that whole bar scene. It would be about a 30 minute commute from New Brunswick to Clark, possibly longer with traffic.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Anything comparable to South Brunswick in terms of "livelyness" closer to Clark?
Also how is Clark? It seemed like a slower/older place when I went for my interview

Old 11-14-2011, 04:00 PM

667 posts, read 1,437,185 times
Quote:
salary will be 60000. how much are studio apartments usually in rahway/Hoboken?

Sharing a small 2BR, at $1200 is doable in Hoboken. Having lived there when I was in my 20s, it does fit the bill. Lots to do. Parking is a horror so you need to pay for a garage or it will add years to your life. You'll have a reverse type commute in the AM to Clark so no problem there. But heading back home will be a bit crazy but at least you don't need to get over to NYC by car.

At 21 and at $60k, I would jump at the opportunity. I did it back 15 years ago making $40k. Yes, it wasn't cheap (my part of the rent was $900 for a 3BR share) but well worth it...ended up meeting my wife in Hoboken

Old 11-14-2011, 04:46 PM

13,563 posts, read 16,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
Sharing a small 2BR, at $1200 is doable in Hoboken. Having lived there when I was in my 20s, it does fit the bill. Lots to do. Parking is a horror so you need to pay for a garage or it will add years to your life.

Not paying for a garage will add years to your life?
Alert the media!
In that case, why would anyone pay for parking in Hoboken when The Fountain of Youth is available to anyone who cheaps out on parking?

Knowing Hoboken and its parking problems as I do, I am assuming that you are trying to tell us that failure to secure garage space for one's car will subtract years from one's life, but...perhaps I am wrong.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey