U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,898 times

Advertisements

When a future possible employer is checking my past work history and why I am no longer employed by my most recent past employer, how much detailed information will my past employer most likely supply? I actually stopped working under the Family Medical Leave program because of job burn out, stress and concern about some medical issues and was not able to return to my job after the 12 weeks. Will my ex-exployer give such a detailed answer? Thank-You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,032,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNJ789 View Post
When a future possible employer is checking my past work history and why I am no longer employed by my most recent past employer, how much detailed information will my past employer most likely supply? I actually stopped working under the Family Medical Leave program because of job burn out, stress and concern about some medical issues and was not able to return to my job after the 12 weeks. Will my ex-exployer give such a detailed answer? Thank-You.
I believe, legally, all they can tell someone is that you worked there during the dates given. They can also ask if they would re-hire, and that's the key right there.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's all that can be asked.

I would recommend if there was a co-worker or someone at your previous position that you did projects for and were on good terms with, leave them as your reference. If they are specifically asking for a manager, you can have the option of not giving them the information, or giving them permission not to contact. Just depends on the employer.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 AM

16,022 posts, read 11,065,747 times
My experience has been that the dates of employemnet are the only info a past employer may legally give.

Keep in mind many industries are inbred with circulating workforce. Think of it as professional sports where one guy plays for 5 teams. That situation means you probably can't apply for a job where someone doesn't know you or your reputation.

God knows what and where companies look these days to check out a prospective employee.

While age discrimination is not allowed, CV/resume gurus always recommend you leave off dates where possible to hide your age.

Apparently some dumbazz hairbrained philospohy du jour has overtaken the workplace which excludes people who have been retired or unemployed for long periods of time. The comeback is people have lost their skills. Well if that isn't prejudiced thinking. All those years of hawking diversity and apparently the concept has been lost on the biggest companies.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,187,491 times
True the only "hard" facts an ex-employer can legally give is the dates you worked (and I also believe they can confirm your position as well). The law is that they cannot say anything defamatory but they can give praise. All bosses I have worked for/been friends with always say the same thing when it comes to recommendations: If they call a previous employer and all they get is "so and so worked here from ___ to ____" they take that as a negative. I'm pretty sure that's commonplace. And there are employers who will give "bad" references, even thought legally they are not supposed to. How can you really ever prove it?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,522,836 times
Quote:
True the only "hard" facts an ex-employer can legally give is the dates you worked (and I also believe they can confirm your position as well). The law is that they cannot say anything defamatory but they can give praise.

Don't know where you got that but it is incorrect.

http://labor-employment-law.lawyers....eferences.html

Old 11-14-2011, 04:38 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,187,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Don't know where you got that but it is incorrect.

Job References - Lawyers.com
Sorry. That's what my former boss told me (someone was looking for a reference on an ex-employee who was less than stellar and he said he could not legally say anything bad about her). This was in NY so I don't know if it's different or not. Or perhaps he had the information wrong and hence, I had the information wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or