U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 734 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I currently work at Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory in Palisades, NY. I live in NJ right now and I am considering moving.

I am looking for a 1BR apt around $1200 or less. I am open to studios as well but I prefer 1BR for the space. I am looking for a nice area with plenty of shopping, restaurants, etc and slightly youngish, around my age or so.

Because of the location of my job, I prefer keeping my car, but I am open to moving into the city. If that's the case, I will sell my car since there is no point having it and Columbia offers a free shuttle between Manhattan and my job. Because I want a car, right now I like Englewood north of Palisades Ave and between Engle and Dean St. Any other areas besides that? I have done plenty of price comparisons, but I don't know the vibes of every neighborhood.

Also, I do not want any roommates. I am so done with the college experience. I love having a place all to myself!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,815,621 times
IF you want to live in the suburbs, you've done your research right because that is the absolute best possible area for your needs and budget.

However, you really should consider whether the lower costs, car-compatibility and shorter commute of being in the 'burbs are worth the loss of the advantages of being in a more urban area (NYC or Nyack) for a single 24 year-old guy. I live very close to this area and am in the same demographic (even share a large part of the commute route you would be taking - the Englewood-Palisades drive is short, consistent, and pleasant), and frankly would not have a significant social life if I didn't already know several people thanks to growing up locally. It is not easy to meet young people in the suburbs who you don't already share some kind of social connection with, and if you want to live outside the city you need to go in realizing that this is the price you are paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey