Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,539 times

Advertisements

Hi, My daughter who will be in 2nd grade this Sept. has been attending Montessori. The Montessori school is small and facility isn't great but the teachers are good. she has learned a great deal but am thinking about changing to Assumption Academy (catholic school) in Emerson NJ. I am thinking about changing her out of a school that she is used to because 1- the school has no structure on kids who misbehave.
2- Not only the school stresses kids with academically advancing but (not all) they don't cover the materials well enough to making the fundamental years fun.
3- Not enough school functions or parents involvement
4-Love Love 2 teacher out of 6 main subject teacher. ( is this a good enough reason to continue?)
5- I know she will not be attending 3rd grade at Montessori- therefore, if I don't change now, she will change next year. (Is it worth it?)

Out of 5 random schools, I thought Assumption Academy in Emerson was ok, but don't know anything about catholic school system ( they only have one nun in whole school- who only teaches religion)
Does anyone know of this school? Can anyone help to understand how catholic schools function? I have read a ton but I need personal advice/opinion.

I have no intention on sending her to Catholic High. My family is presybeterian.

would appreciate your thoughts or experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 AM

334 posts, read 731,725 times
My child has attended Catholic school for 7 years. Many schools usually have a couple of people (nuns or reg. Teachers) divide the grades to teach religion...it depends on the size of the school. In terms of changing, sometimes changing sooner rather than later is better, particularly if you have prepared her for the change. Elementary aged kids can be pretty resilient. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKMOM View Post
Hi, My daughter who will be in 2nd grade this Sept. has been attending Montessori. The Montessori school is small and facility isn't great but the teachers are good. she has learned a great deal but am thinking about changing to Assumption Academy (catholic school) in Emerson NJ. I am thinking about changing her out of a school that she is used to because 1- the school has no structure on kids who misbehave.
2- Not only the school stresses kids with academically advancing but (not all) they don't cover the materials well enough to making the fundamental years fun.
3- Not enough school functions or parents involvement
4-Love Love 2 teacher out of 6 main subject teacher. ( is this a good enough reason to continue?)
5- I know she will not be attending 3rd grade at Montessori- therefore, if I don't change now, she will change next year. (Is it worth it?)

Out of 5 random schools, I thought Assumption Academy in Emerson was ok, but don't know anything about catholic school system ( they only have one nun in whole school- who only teaches religion)
Does anyone know of this school? Can anyone help to understand how catholic schools function? I have read a ton but I need personal advice/opinion.

I have no intention on sending her to Catholic High. My family is presybeterian.

would appreciate your thoughts or experiences.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:02 AM

334 posts, read 731,725 times
Also in the smaller Catholic Schools, you have one class per grade with 22-27 kids in the class. The exception is kindergarten because they offer all day classes while some towns don't. My child's school has good structure and family involvement, and a fair amount of school functions. The clubs and activities are geared more towards the middle schools, but the school you are considering may have a Brownie troupe to get involved in.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 32,822 times
why not go to public schools if you do not know anything about the Catholic school?

My kids are also in a Montessori school and I am transferring them this year to public. The problem with Montessori school I have found is the kids are all in different towns and the school discourages parent involvement. So the kids are like outsiders in their own town meaning they join a sport and they do not know anybody.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:16 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
Are the public schools in your town not good?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 PM

thank you so much for all of your posts. I know what you mean about montessori school not being able to provide community outside of school. I thought of catholic instead of public: smaller class, family like... but I guess you can experience that at public.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:07 PM

22 posts, read 180,475 times
It really does depend on your town school. Visit the schools (public and catholic) and do some research and see how you feel. I send my daughters to catholic school but everyone is different. You will know which one is best for your child.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
My town only has under 10,000 residents so the school system is very small. The teachers are caring and motivated, and there is lots of parental involvement. It's more than possible in a public school environment, and many of the schools are highly rated and likely are much better than some of the Catholic schools.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM

I decided not to send my daughter to catholic school. Thank you for all of your advice/opinion.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:34 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,361 times
I may be too late for this, but if from my experience with Catholic School, it's pretty awful. Keep in mind public school teachers make $40,000-$60,000 a year, and all are certified (many have masters). When AI graduated Catholic school ten years ago, most teachers made under $20,000, and almost none we certified. Good teachers teach at Public Schools first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: