U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 PM
 
85 posts, read 152,781 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

So many variables - its really hard to narrow down without constraints!
I am researching West windsor versus the Princeton school districts. What is your opinion of either- specifically I am interested in schools to avoid.
Princeton school district is attractive because I am given to understand all kids go to the same one high school regardless of which elementary or middle school they attend.
I don't know much about westwindsor, good schools I hear, but is there any at the bottom of the pile or the top of ?
Also is west windsor more affordable than princeton ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 AM
 
838 posts, read 1,727,079 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha77 View Post
So many variables - its really hard to narrow down without constraints!
I am researching West windsor versus the Princeton school districts. What is your opinion of either- specifically I am interested in schools to avoid.
Princeton school district is attractive because I am given to understand all kids go to the same one high school regardless of which elementary or middle school they attend.
I don't know much about westwindsor, good schools I hear, but is there any at the bottom of the pile or the top of ?
Also is west windsor more affordable than princeton ?
If you read and put faith into the independent ratings of NJ Monthly mag and Greatschools.net than West Windsor schools rank above Princeton. Both town are wealthy to very well off, with a small section of Princeton being lower income (by the hospital).

While West Windsor is no bargain, I do believe you will get more for your money there than Princeton. You will find Princeton is general a small city with a upscale and thriving downtown. Surrounding the downtown are small but expensive housing. Outside of the downtown, you get into the Township there you'll find large to very large homes and big plots but not really in neighborhoods.

West Windsor on the other hand is more of a traditional subburb with lots of newer homes in walking type neighborhoods. Both are nice just depends on what you are looking for.

If I was young and single and had the money I would live in downtown Princeton, If I were old and rich I would buy one of the mansions on the hill in Princeton Township. If I had a family I would buy in West Windsor or Plainsboro.

Avoid East Windsor, not the same as West at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 AM
 
85 posts, read 152,781 times
Reputation: 35
Thank-you for the quick reply. I was looking at median house prices in Windsor and they seem to be around 550K- I am concerned its probably a very big stretch with 100K in income.
do you have any suggestions wrt specific neighborhoods to rent in - where there are kids and hopefully walking distance to an elementary school. Looking at the google maps I dont see the whole walking to grocery store or library thing as being possible...
My kid is biracial and I am Indian- so a little diversity would be nice, I mean truly diverse- not just code for "Indian" !
I am trying to rent in a neighborhood where I could eventually see myself buying a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Reputation: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha77 View Post
Thank-you for the quick reply. I was looking at median house prices in Windsor and they seem to be around 550K- I am concerned its probably a very big stretch with 100K in income.
do you have any suggestions wrt specific neighborhoods to rent in - where there are kids and hopefully walking distance to an elementary school. Looking at the google maps I dont see the whole walking to grocery store or library thing as being possible...
My kid is biracial and I am Indian- so a little diversity would be nice, I mean truly diverse- not just code for "Indian" !
I am trying to rent in a neighborhood where I could eventually see myself buying a home.
West Windsor has a lot of diversity. There are a lot of Indians, along with white and other races.

The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 54.9% White, 3.7% Black or African American, 0.1% Native American, 37.7% Asian, 1.0% some other race and 2.6% reporting two or more races. 4.5% were Hispanic or Latino of any race. - Wikipedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Rocking the 609
362 posts, read 875,025 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
West Windsor has a lot of diversity. There are a lot of Indians, along with white and other races.

The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 54.9% White, 3.7% Black or African American, 0.1% Native American, 37.7% Asian, 1.0% some other race and 2.6% reporting two or more races. 4.5% were Hispanic or Latino of any race. - Wikipedia.
Adding to that, the district for West Windsor is West Windsor-Plainsboro (WWP) and Plainsboro is also diverse with a large Indian / Asian population. From what I understand of how the schools work, lower elementary is the closest one to your house (K-3), then upper elementary is by town and they sort everyone together and break out the middle and high school by demographics. (More renters in Plainsboro due to the high number of apartment complexes).

I don't think you or your kids would feel out of place in the district in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Reputation: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
Adding to that, the district for West Windsor is West Windsor-Plainsboro (WWP) and Plainsboro is also diverse with a large Indian / Asian population. From what I understand of how the schools work, lower elementary is the closest one to your house (K-3), then upper elementary is by town and they sort everyone together and break out the middle and high school by demographics. (More renters in Plainsboro due to the high number of apartment complexes).

I don't think you or your kids would feel out of place in the district in the least.
My class was the first class to go through one HS without being split up :-). The good old WWP days. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2011, 02:28 AM
 
85 posts, read 152,781 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
From what I understand of how the schools work, lower elementary is the closest one to your house (K-3), then upper elementary is by town and they sort everyone together and break out the middle and high school by demographics. (More renters in Plainsboro due to the high number of apartment complexes).

.
so you mean there is no way to predict which school my child will be going to based on where I live ? When you say "sort everyone together and break out the middle and high school by demographics", what exactly happens ?
Seems like kids will lose their buddies suddenly. I have not experienced this so I am not sure if its a good thing!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 AM
 
6 posts, read 26,474 times
Reputation: 11
For WWP:
K-3 one of four elementary schools
4-5 one of two intermediate schools
6-8 one of two middle schools
9-12 one of two high schools. How the attendance of the high schools is broken down I'm not entirely sure. It's definitely not by demographics, but more of a regional basis. There is a Guide to Attendance on the district website, which seems to support this.

For Princeton:
Elementary- one of four schools
Middle school- Everyone goes to the same
High school- everyone goes to the same, and Cranbury kids are added in also

IMO Princeton is the better choice. The district is just as well respected as WWP. It wasn't until the last issue of NJ monthly that Princeton lost its lead over WWP, and the drop from #6 to #44 was a load of bull****. Princeton in general also offers a quality of life unlike anything WWP can provide with the downtown, academics, walkability, university, entertainment, town pride etc. However, the diversity isn't as much as WWP. Schooldigger can also give you a breakdown of limited demographics by school if you are interested.

Both districts are excellent choices, and would be more than willing to answer any questions you had.

Last edited by appr567; 11-15-2011 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: incorrect info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
If you read and put faith into the independent ratings of NJ Monthly mag and Greatschools.net than West Windsor schools rank above Princeton. Both town are wealthy to very well off, with a small section of Princeton being lower income (by the hospital).

While West Windsor is no bargain, I do believe you will get more for your money there than Princeton. You will find Princeton is general a small city with a upscale and thriving downtown. Surrounding the downtown are small but expensive housing. Outside of the downtown, you get into the Township there you'll find large to very large homes and big plots but not really in neighborhoods.

West Windsor on the other hand is more of a traditional subburb with lots of newer homes in walking type neighborhoods. Both are nice just depends on what you are looking for.

If I was young and single and had the money I would live in downtown Princeton, If I were old and rich I would buy one of the mansions on the hill in Princeton Township. If I had a family I would buy in West Windsor or Plainsboro.

Avoid East Windsor, not the same as West at all.
I'd kind of agree with the bolded. I'd say West Windsor's schools are equal or superior to those in Princeton, but the difference is infinitesimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha77 View Post
so you mean there is no way to predict which school my child will be going to based on where I live ? When you say "sort everyone together and break out the middle and high school by demographics", what exactly happens ?
Seems like kids will lose their buddies suddenly. I have not experienced this so I am not sure if its a good thing!
thanks
All schools are fed by neighborhood, and on the WW-P website, you can see which school your kids will be attending by where you live. The lower and upper elementary schools feed by neighborhood. On the other hand, some West Windsor kids go to Community Middle and North High School, which are located in Plainsboro, and some Plainsboro kids go to Grover Middle and South High School, which are located in West Windsor.

I have found that since kids from both schools are involved in community organizations, especially sports, in West Windsor and Plainsboro, where the leagues are merged, kids stay in contact through these activities, so it's less likely they'll lose their buddies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top