U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 AM

112 posts, read 110,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
I can understand your frustration and completely get where you are coming from. But please understand for a moment that affording the home isn't the problem that you have. It is the taxes that are pricing you out of the market.
That's a huge problem in NJ, we're at an approximate 50/50 ratio now as far as our mortgage payment goes, 50% of the payment goes to the loan and 50% go toward the taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
Actually, I was shocked by the original post. There are houses in New Jersey for $150,000??? Or even less?
In this day and age? yes:

Randolph Randolph Real Estate - Randolph, NJ Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®

Roxbury Twsp
Roxbury Township Real Estate - Roxbury Township, NJ Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®

Jefferson Twsp Jefferson Township Real Estate - Jefferson Township, NJ Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®

Wharton NJ Wharton Real Estate - Wharton, NJ Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®

Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 AM

3,994 posts, read 8,728,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Rough words Marc but basically true. Teachers whine and complain about the low pay but conveniently forget that they get the summers off. I think I'll try telling my boss that I'm taking next summer off, however...I'll "use that time to better myself for my profession". Let's see how well that goes over.
Why do you care if they get summers off? Kids should have some time off from school. They need chunks of time off from school just to be a kid. That is the ideal way to achieve the goal: educate children and young adults.

Teachers still end up going to work the equivalent to 85% of the days everybody else does.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Why do you care if they get summers off? Kids should have some time off from school. They need chunks of time off from school just to be a kid. That is the ideal way to achieve the goal: educate children and young adults.

Teachers still end up going to work the equivalent to 85% of the days everybody else does.
They get retirement, healthcare, summers off, weekends off, spring break, and holidays off which includes a week during Christmas.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,246,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
can't even afford to buy a house that is 150k in NJ. We make so much don't we Gov Christie? NO matter how much I crunch the numbers, when I include property tax, ins., mortage, utilities, PMI, and all the basics it goes over my net income for the month. THe only debt I have is a school loan and a monthly car payment.

I saw a few houses that were under 100k, but they need an immense amount of work and are in horrible areas.

It's very frustrating to read about people who are not even satisfied with buying a house under 500k. They should be so lucky that they can even afford it.

I love my job and I wouldn't know what else to do. I will have to somehow try to earn a second income and hope that my husband can find a job soon. Maybe I'll have to go back to school and get in more debt to study something else. Ha! Forget about starting a family and the biological clock is ticking. The funny thing is that I work in a district that supposedly pays more and I have 7 years experience.

BEing a teacher is wonderful isn't it?

Thanks for reading... I am having a frustrating week.
Teachers basicly need an earning husband or good side income. And if they want children, that's good, but they will need to be smart with their money and keep housing expenses low. Nothing wrong with renting, or having an extended family home.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 PM

143 posts, read 258,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no such thing as being underpaid. Everyone is paid exactly what they are worth. You are paid according to the uniqueness and rarity of your skills and abilities. It just so happens that the skills for social workers, and teachers, and plumbers, and accountants, and real estate agents for that matter, are common and easily obtainable by anyone with a half a brain and a modicum of drive. Truly high pay is reserved for those who excel, and it always has been, and it always will be.

If one truly wants wealth, one must make oneself rare through a combination of talent and effort. Common people make common money and that's fine. Not everyone wants to sacrifice free time with their families and/or friends and/or themselves to establish residence at the top of the bell curve.

The OP "wishes" that an average teacher in northern NJ could afford a detached single family home in a great neighborhood. That is not possible in a market that is in close proximity to a very talented pool of people - those who work near the capital of the world - New York.

It might indeed be possible in other less crowded and less talented markets. So you either make yourself really great, or you move to an area where the competition has less ability.

This is not unfair, or unjust. It's simply a metaphysical reality of living things.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:14 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,732,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
that's a sin, i made more (significantly more) right out of college 22 years ago. while i like what i do and it's <sort of> valued, i'm not delusional enough to think i'm worth more than a teacher.
Spanish teacher, nonetheless, which is considered a specialty in some areas.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i think you need to distinguish between "catholic private" and "private". "catholic private" runs the gamut between good and abysmal (mine was no better than fair). "private" is generally excellent, but you'll pay $30K+ a year for it.
i did catholic grad school, which was fair, but the teachers didn't push the students at all. I then did Jesuit high school, which was a "college preparatory" school, and that was highly competitive, great guidance counselors that helped understand admissions into college, etc. then there is another school in my area which was virtually twice as expensive as my high school that was a private boarding school, and really wasn't any better than my school. I think they had 2 or 3 more AP courses available. that's it.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
My Friend outside Winnipeg pays 1400$ a year in property taxes and my Friend in Quebec pays 2000$ a year. The Schools are the same in terms of quality , although Quebec is corrupt.... But living up there is pretty peaceful , people are very open minded and relaxed. I spent a month up there once a few years ago....
nationalized healthcare system helps keep the cost of running a school down...no health benefits needed for faculty and administrators. free childcare too...lots of stuff covered by your tax dollars from income tax means lots of lower other taxes.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You are context-dropping, which nullifies your position. We are obviously discussing lawful employment and compensation. And value in that realm is determined by talent and scarcity.

Your second statement is true. The teaching profession is a sewer treating an unholy mix of effluents: unionism, collectivism, and statism with an emphasis on seniority and achieving tenure. Let's just say that one should refrain from bathing in the treated wastewater.
your definition that says people are paid what they worth would be true in a totally free market system, maybe. but, when an individual goes out to get a job, a company or business hiring that individual has most of the power in the negotiations. regardless of what the individual can generate for the company, the company still determines what the individual is paid. for instance, a physician's assistant allows a doctor to make much higher margins on their office visits, because it can be billed to insurance differently. but, only a small portion of those margins go to the P.A., the doctor keeps a large portion of it. Now, the doctor wouldn't have gotten a penny more without the P.A., so shouldn't the P.A.'s worth be defined by the extra $$ they bring in to the practice? Except the Doctor holds the cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or