U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,729,057 times
Reputation: 3681

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Rough words Marc but basically true. Teachers whine and complain about the low pay but conveniently forget that they get the summers off. I think I'll try telling my boss that I'm taking next summer off, however...I'll "use that time to better myself for my profession". Let's see how well that goes over.
FYI - teachers get 2 months off. not "summers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,729,057 times
Reputation: 3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
doc1, you are correct to an extent. However, the general public shells out money every day on necessary products, and hidden in those product costs are the advertising and endorsement costs that pay those "superstars" the millions and millions of dollars; and we have no control of it.
those companies pay those "superstars" money because they believe it helps them sell more products. Brett Favre in a Wrangler commercial probably does influence peoples' decisions.

I'm with doc1 on this one...the athletes and actors you point to are a small subset of the total number of athletes and actors out their working for a buck...and they happen to be generating a lot of money for their teams' owners or their studios and producers...

in fact, i think a lot of pro athletes and actors are underpaid, as are authors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,729,057 times
Reputation: 3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
And the rubbish continues! They make less than the private sector because the benefits are stellar. And their pay and benefits continue long after they stop working. Teachers in the NY/NJ area are by no means underpaid. They chose a career with great benefits (good for them!) and then many decide that they should also be getting high pay. The majority of private sector salaries come with few holidays, short vacation time and no pension. If a teacher becomes dissatisfied with their salary they can leave at any time.
if you look at historical data, teachers' compensation, including benefits, used to be much closer to private sector. that's not true anymore. they do still have nice benefits that carry on into retirement (and so do a lot of private sector companies), but their pay has diminished in relation to others'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 03:08 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,729,057 times
Reputation: 3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
They get retirement, healthcare, summers off, weekends off, spring break, and holidays off which includes a week during Christmas.
most companies get 10 paid holidays, and anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks of vacation. some get unlimited sick days. some get the entire week during christmas too. only eyepopping difference is the 2 months off, because lots get nice retirement benefits and healthcare benefits too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM
 
1,787 posts, read 4,798,087 times
Reputation: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
most companies get 10 paid holidays, and anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks of vacation. some get unlimited sick days. some get the entire week during christmas too. only eyepopping difference is the 2 months off, because lots get nice retirement benefits and healthcare benefits too.
This is too vague. Those days are gone; I don't know of any company that offers this now. What companies offer 5 weeks vacation, unlimited sick days, and an extra week off for Christmas?

Healthcare benefits are far worse than they were in years past. My insurance "benefit" doesn't pay for anything until I spend $2,000.00 up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM
 
244 posts, read 483,108 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
This is too vague. Those days are gone; I don't know of any company that offers this now. What companies offer 5 weeks vacation, unlimited sick days, and an extra week off for Christmas?

Healthcare benefits are far worse than they were in years past. My insurance "benefit" doesn't pay for anything until I spend $2,000.00 up front.

I wouldn't say no companies offer it. I get 29 days off, plus sick days (reasonable amount but I've never went over 4), all major holidays including 4 day weekend for memorial day and labor day and closed wed through fri thanksgiving week and my company is closed in between Christmas and nye this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 PM
 
112 posts, read 110,469 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
most companies get 10 paid holidays, and anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks of vacation. some get unlimited sick days. some get the entire week during christmas too. only eyepopping difference is the 2 months off, because lots get nice retirement benefits and healthcare benefits too.
I never got paid holidays, I got 2 weeks vacation the 1st 5 years of employment, and every 5 years a week was added until the max of 4 weeks was attained, I got 5 days a year sick time with no carryover, no retirement, but I did get health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM
 
112 posts, read 110,469 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
This is too vague. Those days are gone; I don't know of any company that offers this now. What companies offer 5 weeks vacation, unlimited sick days, and an extra week off for Christmas?

Healthcare benefits are far worse than they were in years past. My insurance "benefit" doesn't pay for anything until I spend $2,000.00 up front.
Yep, those days are long gone for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 PM
 
1,920 posts, read 2,880,926 times
Reputation: 911
Everyone needs to shut the hell up. Ok we get it teachers are horrible overpaid bums. The private sector is greedy and useless. Now what? Talk about divide and conquer. These (all) politicians have everyday "joes" fighting amongst themselves for a smaller and smaller piece of the "American Dream". Its sad that all we do here is bash each other when in reality most people in this country work dam hard and earn everything they get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 04:33 AM
 
Location: NJ
15,904 posts, read 10,958,252 times
Reputation: 10112
Interesting to know my message was chosen of all messages on all threads of being off topic when it involved teachers, the source of their salaries and the stumblong blocks which precipitate threads like this. Ever notice how all threads tend to go off topic without any sheparding?

The sensitivity is directed.

Dem shill or indebted to the teachers union sympathyzer type among us, that's ok but to shut down a debatable post just doesn't feel right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top