Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren810g View Post
I wouldn't say no companies offer it. I get 29 days off, plus sick days (reasonable amount but I've never went over 4), all major holidays including 4 day weekend for memorial day and labor day and closed wed through fri thanksgiving week and my company is closed in between Christmas and nye this year.
Wow, that is interesting; you are the exception rather than the rule.

29 vacation/personal time days plus sick days? is extremely generous. How many is "all major holidays"? Many NJ public employees get 14 holidays, Federal Govt gets 10. How many sick days do you get?

The 4 day weekends you get are fantastic too; do they count against your vacation/Personal Time off?

When your company closes for the week between Christmas and NYE, is that counted against your vacation/Personal Time off?

Again, you work for one fantastic company, and from the friends I talk to who work for private industry, none of them even come close to those days off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
This is too vague. Those days are gone; I don't know of any company that offers this now. What companies offer 5 weeks vacation, unlimited sick days, and an extra week off for Christmas?

Healthcare benefits are far worse than they were in years past. My insurance "benefit" doesn't pay for anything until I spend $2,000.00 up front.
i'm close.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM

112 posts, read 328,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
After seven years of teaching and a master's degree I make 53k in the public schools and after all the deductions of taxes, mandatory union fees, health deductions, pensions, savings, etc. I'm left with a take home pay of $3500 a month. I think I will also change my exemption to 2 to have more each pay period.

I did get a prequalification from Wells Fargo and they said it was upto 200k. When I read the paper it said that I have to have a net income of $4400 monthly but it was based on gross income and not all the deductions I have to have taken out by public school. We do have 20k saved, but I don't want to give it all as a down payment because we need an emergency fund.

So we figured out that many houses after you add the mortgage, property taxes, PMI, and homeowner's insurance it adds up to about $1600 a month and that doesn't include utilities (which I"m trying to figure out how much that would add up to a month), one car payment at $380, car insurance at 130, school loan 150 , food, gas $200 , etc. It all adds up to just a bit over the monthly income and It would be nice to have a bit of extra at the end of the month for emergencies.

We're working hard now sending resumes everywhere so my husband can find a job. If anyone knows any work at high maximum security hospitals or facilities or knows about the cremation field (yes he has a certification to cremate people, but no one is hiring) I would greatly appreciate it. Those are his two specialties

Both of us came from very poor upbringings so buying a house for us is a very confusing process.
I hope you're not a math teacher because there's no way that $53k a year equals $3500 a month of take home pay after taxes, union dues, health insurance, etc.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:20 AM

244 posts, read 597,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Wow, that is interesting; you are the exception rather than the rule.

29 vacation/personal time days plus sick days? is extremely generous. How many is "all major holidays"? Many NJ public employees get 14 holidays, Federal Govt gets 10. How many sick days do you get?

The 4 day weekends you get are fantastic too; do they count against your vacation/Personal Time off?

When your company closes for the week between Christmas and NYE, is that counted against your vacation/Personal Time off?

Again, you work for one fantastic company, and from the friends I talk to who work for private industry, none of them even come close to those days off.

I do consider myself lucky in what my company offers. How it is broken out:

20 Vacation Days
9 Personal Days

None of the personal or vacation days count towards any holidays our company gives us off. Sick days are technically "unlimited" or basically until someone abuses it - the most I have ever taken is 4 sick days in one year (above the 29 days I get), but I'm sure if someone had 20, HR would have an issue.

Holidays I get off this year (2011) are:

Jan 3 for NYE, Jan 17 for Martin Luther King, Feb 21 for Presidents Day, 4 day weekend for memorial day so closed Friday and MOnday, 4 day weekend for July 4th weekend so closed Friday and Monday, 4 day weekend for Labor day so closed Friday and Monday, Oct 10 Columbus Day, Closed Wed through Friday for Thanskgiving week, Closed 12/22-1/2 for Christmas and NYE (typically we aren't closed but this year they did do it) - None of this counts towards my 29 days.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:25 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I used to work for a school district but make much more in the private sector. I (and many teachers I know) don't really get the summer "off" because you go the summer w/o pay, and I didn't get paid enough to save enough to last the summer, so I always had to work summers. My net pay was just about exactly 50% of my gross pay by the time they took everything out.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I used to work for a school district but make much more in the private sector. I (and many teachers I know) don't really get the summer "off" because you go the summer w/o pay, and I didn't get paid enough to save enough to last the summer, so I always had to work summers. My net pay was just about exactly 50% of my gross pay by the time they took everything out.
actually, you do get the summer off. many teachers choose to work during the summer to earn additional money.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM

112 posts, read 134,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you given an option as far as pay goes? you either get your pay spread out over 9 months or 12 months?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you given an option as far as pay goes? you either get your pay spread out over 9 months or 12 months?
i believe some have a choice and some dont. but it doesnt matter. if they only get paid during the school year, then you should budget accordingly. they have the benefit of being able to choose to work during the summer or relax.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:25 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Did the OP ever say how much they were paying for rent?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerveza View Post
I hope you're not a math teacher because there's no way that $53k a year equals $3500 a month of take home pay after taxes, union dues, health insurance, etc.
If you are going to throw a zinger at someone you should at least make sure you are right. The devil is in the details but you have to remember it's a 10 month pay cycle not 12.

PS I give 15 vacation days, 4 personal days, and reasonable sick days. Plus 2 additional days off in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey