U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 06:09 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,816,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It is interesting, and a symptom, I think, of a much larger problem, when so many are so concerned with how much time off they get. Perhaps this illustrates the decline in the work ethic that has resulted in third world countries beating the snot out of us and taking our jobs.
In a discussion about salary time off is always going to be discussed. You can't compare dollars paid without looking at days/hours worked.

I find as I get older time off means so much more. I guess it's also about how things have changed. Commuting takes longer so there's less of the day before and after work. And companies (the ones I've worked for) squeeze every hour they can out of you. 10 years ago we always got out early on the day before a long weekend. Sometimes we'd be off or work half a day the Friday after Thanksgiving. None of that happened in the last 5 years and the hours are often longer. When deciding which of us would stay home with my son my husband's more generous vacation time was a huge factor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:18 AM

7,405 posts, read 7,365,248 times
[quote=ocnjgirl;21764345]Yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the companies that operate in the 3rd world pay pennies an hour, make people work 14 hour days and have no benefits....that's really something we should strive for![/quote]

We should strive to enjoy our work so that we do not feel the constant need to chase free time to waste. If you love what you do, work is not work. If you are good at what you do, you enjoy doing it. If you are excellent at what you do, you enjoy it even more. If you are a lazy good-for-nothing who is good at nothing, you enjoy nothing. Of course, this is up to the individual to figure out for themselves. And it would be a much easier problem to solve in a free economy where we are not taxed and regulated to death.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:05 AM

12,542 posts, read 17,736,274 times
[quote=Marc Paolella;21765417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the companies that operate in the 3rd world pay pennies an hour, make people work 14 hour days and have no benefits....that's really something we should strive for![/quote]

We should strive to enjoy our work so that we do not feel the constant need to chase free time to waste. If you love what you do, work is not work. If you are good at what you do, you enjoy doing it. If you are excellent at what you do, you enjoy it even more. If you are a lazy good-for-nothing who is good at nothing, you enjoy nothing. Of course, this is up to the individual to figure out for themselves. And it would be a much easier problem to solve in a free economy where we are not taxed and regulated to death.
yeah - lowest taxes in our history is certainly being taxed to death.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:04 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,949,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I'm jealous.

Around 15 years ago, I worked for a company that was taken over by another company and my benefits were grandfathered. I had 5 weeks vacation, unlimited sick time, 10 paid holidays, and decent medical benefits. Prior to the takeover, the original company even gave you an extra week off for your honeymoon!

Am I right to assume you have benefits close to this, because you've been at your job for awhile? Or, are you self employed? Stay there; these benefits are not the norm.
almost as good - 4 wks vacation, unlimited sick time (i think in the past 15 years I've probably used 5 sick days, if that), 8 floaters. i think when i got married a zillion years ago i did get some extra time for my honeymoon.

my time is due to the years i've been with my company.

i don't think my benefits are really out of the norm - comparing to others i know in my position.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 AM

51,245 posts, read 50,539,435 times
[quote=Marc Paolella;21765417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the companies that operate in the 3rd world pay pennies an hour, make people work 14 hour days and have no benefits....that's really something we should strive for![/quote]

Who are you to decide that what we do with our free time is "waste"? What I love to do and spend my free time doing will not pay the bills. I am fortunate in that I do like my job very much, but it is a means to an end, not my reason for living.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:34 AM

111 posts, read 277,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
YOu're going to say you know more than me when I'm the one that's getting the damn check every two weeks? Biweekly take home is $1785 and some change

Union, pension, and health insurance fees are not a few dollars being deducted as most people think, it's hundreds!
I was unaware that teachers got paid in 10 month schedules.

I guess if you want more money you're going to have to teach summer school instead of having two months off (or find a better paying district).

btw, I wouldn't complain too much about health insurance costs: private sector is way worse, ask your friends who dont teach how much they pay for health insurance you'll probably find out that you're still paying half of what they pay.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:54 AM

7,405 posts, read 7,365,248 times
[quote=bradykp;21766025]
Quote:

yeah - lowest taxes in our history is certainly being taxed to death.
This is incorrect. Taxes are at an all time high and going higher. Liberal disinformation campaigns trumpet that income tax rates as a percentage of GDP are lower than other countries, and lower than at other times in the past.

Of course, they ignore crushing property taxes, multi-tiered income taxes at the state and city level, stifling excise taxes on fuels and intermediates, unfair double taxation on self-employment income, smothering sales taxes (which are also often multi-tiered with state, county, and or city-town each stealing their share), bruising user and license fees, regressive sin taxes, horrific tolls, and much, much more.

And that does not touch the economic destruction visited by excessive regulation.

And that does not touch the increases in taxation that will soon be coming to your bank account to support socialized medicine.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
bradykp
5,957 posts, read 1,948,419 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40
Rough words Marc but basically true. Teachers whine and complain about the low pay but conveniently forget that they get the summers off. I think I'll try telling my boss that I'm taking next summer off, however...I'll "use that time to better myself for my profession". Let's see how well that goes over.
-------------------------------------------------------------
FYI - teachers get 2 months off. not "summers".
--------------------------------------------------------------

I've been at my job nearly 20 years and I take about 3 weeks of vacation and they certainly aren't all during the best months of the year -- the summer. Teachers do quite well with the vacation time and is not even debatable.
i dunno. i worked in public accounting, where a lot of younger workers get 20-25 days off. some smaller firms also let you accrue more based on the overtime hours during busy season. I have plenty of friends who took 3-4 week vacations in the summer after busy season. they do well with time off, but they aren't paid for those 2 months either. it's a benefit of the profession no doubt though.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I'm jealous.

Around 15 years ago, I worked for a company that was taken over by another company and my benefits were grandfathered. I had 5 weeks vacation, unlimited sick time, 10 paid holidays, and decent medical benefits. Prior to the takeover, the original company even gave you an extra week off for your honeymoon!

Am I right to assume you have benefits close to this, because you've been at your job for awhile? Or, are you self employed? Stay there; these benefits are not the norm.
my wife's old company (known to many as an evil employer) gave her 3 weeks off, 8 weeks paid maternity (10 for a c-section), and her pharmacy was closed on most major holidays. her new company she gets about 4 weeks total "days off" with sick/vacation/personal all being the same. i get 17 days currently, but unlimited "sick" days on the honor system.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
It is interesting, and a symptom, I think, of a much larger problem, when so many are so concerned with how much time off they get. Perhaps this illustrates the decline in the work ethic that has resulted in third world countries beating the snot out of us and taking our jobs.
quality of life has declined for many in the U.S. with many households needing to be dual-income, and continous increases in "productivity" - that means people working more hours typically. and even with that, when many take a day off, they have remote access, blackberrys, etc.

when were people not concerned with benefits at a job? this isn't new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or