U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-20-2011, 11:19 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,697 posts, read 28,583,687 times
Reputation: 14630

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
What is this minimal cost you speak of?
the lowest cost that it would take to get the job accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2011, 02:00 PM
 
1,920 posts, read 2,882,121 times
Reputation: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the lowest cost that it would take to get the job accomplished.

Outsource the work to some 3rd world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 03:46 PM
 
Location: NJ
22,697 posts, read 28,583,687 times
Reputation: 14630
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Outsource the work to some 3rd world country.
you want to outsource the teaching profession to someone in china? that would be very challenging not to mention the fact that their english isnt very good. do you want your kids pronouncing lobster; robster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,300 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Reputation: 60228
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainnj View Post
you want to outsource the teaching profession to someone in china? That would be very challenging not to mention the fact that their english isnt very good. Do you want your kids pronouncing lobster; robster?
rofl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 06:34 PM
 
25,836 posts, read 49,741,556 times
Reputation: 19297
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
What is this minimal cost you speak of? Lets take a few of these careers and let me know how you feel about low cost. A cop that protects you and patrols the mean streets of any of our major cities should be low cost? The guy who runs in to save you when everyone else is running out should be low cost? Teachers should be low cost? If so why when I have sent my kids to Pre K did I pay upwards of 450 per week per kid. Yes a private Pre K that had 20 kids in his class. Lets do that math if you would like. Wow 9k a week per class, if its so easy to do at a low cost why then doesnt the private sector charge less?
Firefighting is close to my heart... I come from a long line of volunteer Firefighters and they do a great job... three of my cousins are currently in the department and they take their job very seriously and receive no wages...

As to the way public schools operate... I have a little family experience.

My father taught public High School and was also the PTA president at two local grammar schools... he became very disenfranchised whey the focus was no longer on the students.

My brother volunteered to head the Landscape committee at the public school his children attend... he has lots of connections in the building trade as a commercial property manager.

The school had a non-functioning irrigation system and the vegetation was is sad shape. The principal wanted the PTA to find a way to come up with $36,000 to get it done.

My brother went to his contacts and had a local licensed plumber volunteer to repair the lines and a hardware store and an irrigation supply offer to donate materials... he also secured donations of plants from several local nurseries.

The district stonewalled at every opportunity... seems only union district staff are allowed to perform maintenance at the school or approved contractors through a lengthy bid proposal...

In other words... it was not about getting something nice for the school... it was about raising money to pay district employees.

After a year of only being able to fund raise... my brother left.

His kids now attend a Catholic School and the Monseigneur at the Parish and school parents couldn't be happier with all the donations my brother has arranged...

They were considering Home Schooling and decided to go the Catholic School route.

The couple were I was best man at their wedding are both teachers... they decided to home school and now their daughters are in college, received advance placement and are at the top of their respective classes...

It must mean something when someone inside the system takes their own children out of the system...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 08:02 PM
 
1,920 posts, read 2,882,121 times
Reputation: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Firefighting is close to my heart... I come from a long line of volunteer Firefighters and they do a great job... three of my cousins are currently in the department and they take their job very seriously and receive no wages...

As to the way public schools operate... I have a little family experience.

My father taught public High School and was also the PTA president at two local grammar schools... he became very disenfranchised whey the focus was no longer on the students.

My brother volunteered to head the Landscape committee at the public school his children attend... he has lots of connections in the building trade as a commercial property manager.

The school had a non-functioning irrigation system and the vegetation was is sad shape. The principal wanted the PTA to find a way to come up with $36,000 to get it done.

My brother went to his contacts and had a local licensed plumber volunteer to repair the lines and a hardware store and an irrigation supply offer to donate materials... he also secured donations of plants from several local nurseries.

The district stonewalled at every opportunity... seems only union district staff are allowed to perform maintenance at the school or approved contractors through a lengthy bid proposal...

In other words... it was not about getting something nice for the school... it was about raising money to pay district employees.

After a year of only being able to fund raise... my brother left.

His kids now attend a Catholic School and the Monseigneur at the Parish and school parents couldn't be happier with all the donations my brother has arranged...

They were considering Home Schooling and decided to go the Catholic School route.

The couple were I was best man at their wedding are both teachers... they decided to home school and now their daughters are in college, received advance placement and are at the top of their respective classes...

It must mean something when someone inside the system takes their own children out of the system...

Congrats.. I think..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 11:48 AM
 
147 posts, read 336,466 times
Reputation: 80
[quote=Raven1976;21701249]can't even afford to buy a house that is 150k in NJ. We make so much don't we Gov Christie? NO matter how much I crunch the numbers, when I include property tax, ins., mortage, utilities, PMI, and all the basics it goes over my net income for the month. THe only debt I have is a school loan and a monthly car payment.

I saw a few houses that were under 100k, but they need an immense amount of work and are in horrible areas.

It's very frustrating to read about people who are not even satisfied with buying a house under 500k. They should be so lucky that they can even afford it.

I love my job and I wouldn't know what else to do. I will have to somehow try to earn a second income and hope that my husband can find a job soon. Maybe I'll have to go back to school and get in more debt to study something else. Ha! Forget about starting a family and the biological clock is ticking. The funny thing is that I work in a district that supposedly pays more and I have 7 years experience.
BEing a teacher is wonderful isn't it?
quote]

Actually teachers pay is right about at the average (median) for American workers. But most workers don't have a guaranteed job (tenure) after 3 years, work 10 months a year, and get the pension benefits of teachers (most states follow the "rule of 80"--when your age and experience add up to 80, they can retire). A tenured position--where you are assured of a job for life--would be especially appealing to workers today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM
 
17,277 posts, read 14,837,493 times
Reputation: 32868
There is no reason you can't start a family while renting, is there? I also cannot afford a home in OC as they are all at least half a million for single family, however I choose to live here and rent because this is where I want to be. I am able to save a lot more because I don't have property taxes, water bills, repair bills, etc, and who knows one day maybe I will be able to afford a home here. I just think acceptance and working with what we do have is going to make us happier in the long run than lamenting what we don't. There is no reason to put your life on hold. My brother and his wife started their family in a one-bedroom apt until they could afford a small home, and the kids grew up just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 AM
 
128 posts, read 166,508 times
Reputation: 101
If you look at Sussex County you will find houses for $150,000 and less. Check out gsmls.com and put in a maximum price of $150,000 and you will find a good number of homes. In this current real estate market you can find bargains. Prices are back down to the 2002-2003 levels in many areas. Of course you may not be thrilled with the town/area/school system where it is affordable, but you can get something, and it may not require tons of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 AM
 
303 posts, read 767,183 times
Reputation: 172
Whats teachers salary in NJ? $80K. Whats your hubsand make? Assume average $60K. Total $150K. 3x income = $450K easy you can afford. Don't play the violens lady, u can afford a house .... I'm tired of NJ teachers playing the violens - everyone has to start somewhere, what u and NEA want Christie to do next, pay teachers morgages or guarantee their house prices will rise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top