U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,939,295 times

Advertisements

Average teacher makes $60k not $80. That is not the starting pay that is mid career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 AM

17,196 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Average teacher makes $60k not $80. That is not the starting pay that is mid career.
And it still depends where you are. My niece has been teaching in a south Jersey public school for 5 years and she's in the mid-40k range.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM

303 posts, read 766,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And it still depends where you are. My niece has been teaching in a south Jersey public school for 5 years and she's in the mid-40k range.
Not bad if u duble it for the 6 months's that teachers get of due to vacation and there part-time hours (9am to 3.30pm) even when its is not vacation.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 PM

13,560 posts, read 16,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
Not bad if u duble it for the 6 months's that teachers get of due to vacation and there part-time hours (9am to 3.30pm) even when its is not vacation.

Isn't it ironic that you criticize teachers when there is so little evidence that you ever spent much time in a classroom?
Posting eight errors in one sentence may actually set some kind of new record for the lack of literacy!

Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say teachers work part time since they spend a bit of time doing stuff outside the classroom plus extra-curricular.

However, their contract is 10 months so a teacher with a salary of $50k has an annual equivalent pay rate of $60k.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,205,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
First, sorry to hear that you are having a rough time.

Personally, I'm all for paying teachers a whole lot more in return for at least the following...

1. Dissolution of tenor - effective immediately so performance is what keeps teacher's job
2. Get rid of pension for new teachers. Existing and retired teacher are grandfathered but they keep their old payrate and don't get the new payrate.
3. Major reduction in benefit package for new teachers meaning you pay more into healthcare, dental, vision package. Except for grandfathered in teachers (existing and retired)
4. Reduce paid time off, work longer, and more days to provide more mentorship in small group of 3:1 or 1:1 tutor to students falling behind in your subject matter expertise

I would love to see good qualified experienced teachers (5+ years) get paid 80-90k in NJ in return for items I listed above. Why? Because it'll make teachers more dependent on their performance and skills to keep job, not 'stick' it out for more years to get pension because it won't exist, not take this job for benefits.

Private sector white collar jobs have no job security, no one will take care of you, high employee contribution amount for benefits, and not a whole lotta days off for most part. In return you get paid more for it. I'd love teachers to be in same scenario so neither side will complain about what one side has and don't have. Also gov't will be forced to pay cash upfront and not pay it later in pension only for the fund to be raided for something else and have this huge problem. Plus it'll get rid of investment scandals with gov't money put away to pay for teacher pensions.

Edit: To give you an example, I pay $500 for family healthcare, dental, and vision every month which isn't unusually high or low. Plus since I don't have option for reduced pay for pension so I max out my 401k. What that means is my 80k salary roughly turns into 59k a year in terms of cash flow (6k for benefits, 15k for 401k) which you can chop out my state/federal taxes and let's say that's about 9k. I get 50k in my pocket which turns into about 4k a month.

I guess teachers make up for the crappy pay with genorous benefits.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 AM

303 posts, read 766,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I guess teachers make up for the crappy pay with genorous benefits.
Exactly, who in the private sector gets a garanteed salary check and pension 4life, some NJ teachers are retiring at 55 and making $8K monthly penions garanteed they don't worry on the stock market is another thing, who in private sector has a 401k like that?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,880,463 times
Quote:
Exactly, who in the private sector gets a garanteed salary check and pension 4life, some NJ teachers are retiring at 55 and making $8K monthly penions garanteed they don't worry on the stock market is another thing, who in private sector has a 401k like that?
Guys I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you guys take soundbites and turn them into the gospel. Trust me my wife is a teacher and while she is very happy at her job she spends countless and I do mean countless hours working on things at home. Not looking for anyone to cry about it but its a fact and just thought I would state it. Also what 8k pension are you talking about? Look at any database that provides pension info and find me a teacher who is retiring with 8k a year. Just not true. That in most cases would be 100% and that would mean the person worked for 55 years. Thats not going to happen because you would be dead wayyy before that. By the way not sure who you are talking about but my wife has been stuck at the same salary for two years. Again not looking for any tears just stating the facts. Listen to both sides and then find a spot in the middle that tends to be a lot more of the truth.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Just to put it in perspective. An individual that has a maximum contribution allowable by IRS into their 401k for 35 years can earn $8,000/month for 38 years into retirement before you run out of money. My calculation includes a conservative growth rate of 2.5%.

Healthcare is another story, however.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 AM

13,560 posts, read 16,060,181 times
Quote:
...some NJ teachers are retiring at 55 and making $8K monthly penions garanteed they don't worry on the stock market is another thing, who in private sector has a 401k like that?
Ummmmm...NO, as usual with your "information".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
...what 8k pension are you talking about? Look at any database that provides pension info and find me a teacher who is retiring with 8k a year. Just not true. That in most cases would be 100% and that would mean the person worked for 55 years. Thats not going to happen because you would be dead wayyy before that.
+1

Are there people in the state pension system who are getting $8k per month?
Yes!
Who are they?
In every case, they are career politicians who held multiple jobs, also known as "double dipping".

No retired teacher--or even a retired principal--comes anywhere near that inaccurately-inflated number.

If Mr. Pickle can't distinguish between the shocking newspaper stories about double-dipping retired politicians, and the situation of the typical retired teacher, that does not say very much for his reading comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or