U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 PM
 
12 posts, read 9,750 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why do professors deserve any more protection from getting burned by the powers that be than an employee anywhere? i dont particularly care if you feel you have the freedom to write your book, we will all be fine without it.

that issue with the family having their house burn down because they didnt pay was cute. they intentionally chose not to pay the fee. they didnt want to pay their "fair share" like everyone else who was contributing to the fire department, but they wanted the benefits. of course, their home should have burned down. its like choosing not to get insurance, you save the money but take the risk.

Well, perhaps it was not so "cute" for the family whose house burned down. Some things like a pay-to-play fire service have been tried in the USA and Britain before. But often what happened was that the house next door would catch fire and sometimes entire city blocks. Perhaps something like that should be organized through socialism (like it currently is). The family (with a recent member unemployed) could not afford to pay the fire service. I do not think they went out of their way to commit fraud ("free ride"), they simply could not pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2012, 12:01 AM
 
12 posts, read 9,750 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
How dare you think you have a right to a job guarantee for life at the expense of those who might be better qualified and/or just plain better teachers. You should not be shielded because of your politics.
If your employers don't agree with your politics, they should have every right to fire you. It's called freedom of association. With the corollary implied right of freedom of disassociation.

Your anti-Capitalist nonsense is typical of the Occupy Wall Street crowd, which I am sure you completely approve of. And you also seem to be suffering from conspiracy theoritis, and a distaste for a society based on merit and quality rather than collectivism and mediocrity.

It is scary enough that you fancy yourself to be a teacher. The prospect of someone like you being tenured and allowed to poison young minds for the rest of your life is an abject tragedy.
I do not have a job guarantee for life. I have a letter every year which says that my employment is contingent on the fiscal ability of the city and state of NY (both levels of government being my employer).

You have confused "freedom of association" with employment. Termination of employment does not equal "freedom of disassociation" since I have not entered into a contract with my employer to pursue a "common interest" outside of the purview of my duties of teaching, research, and service. And the Board of Trustees are overseers and managers (a real life oligarchy) which muddles whether or not they are really my employers (or whether the city and state of NY truly are).

Actually, the major financial houses on Wall Street (and the more important ones in midtown) are the true anti-capitalists. The "capital" they are involved with is not real capital--instead it is paper claims to assets (many of which are "derived" 2 or 3 times removed from some real physical object). They cannot grow food, repair cars, or cure the sick. The Occupy Wall Street "crowd" is much too complex to pin down. I've seen everything from Socialists (no, not the ones who own the financial houses around Wall Street and get bailed out by the Federal Reserve) to Ron Paul supporters to Lyndon LaRouche fanatics and anti-Semites.

Conspiracy theories? Ah yes, those are fun. Unfortunately there is not much more to it than profiteering and bribery.

Time to go "poison some young minds...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 05:15 AM
 
13,468 posts, read 14,467,280 times
Reputation: 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to Jersey View Post
..... I do not think they went out of their way to commit fraud ("free ride"), they simply could not pay.
If I feel I can't afford to pay my ridiculously high property taxes and I decide to pay what I can afford, or better yet, none at all, should I get a pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 05:22 AM
 
20,979 posts, read 15,629,058 times
Reputation: 10270
Did that degree come with a guarantee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,744 posts, read 28,605,773 times
Reputation: 14642
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to Jersey View Post
Well, perhaps it was not so "cute" for the family whose house burned down. Some things like a pay-to-play fire service have been tried in the USA and Britain before. But often what happened was that the house next door would catch fire and sometimes entire city blocks. Perhaps something like that should be organized through socialism (like it currently is). The family (with a recent member unemployed) could not afford to pay the fire service. I do not think they went out of their way to commit fraud ("free ride"), they simply could not pay.
im sure it wasnt cute for them, those chose poorly. i see you are comfortable lying and creating your own reality. the choice to not pay the $75 fee was because:

""I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong," said Gene Cranick."

thank you for so easily exposing yourself as a pure liar.

the rest of your post about how a pay to play service not working is nonsense. it worked perfectly in this case. the homes of people who pay are protected and those who dont pay, dont get protected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,744 posts, read 28,605,773 times
Reputation: 14642
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to Jersey View Post
I do not have a job guarantee for life. I have a letter every year which says that my employment is contingent on the fiscal ability of the city and state of NY (both levels of government being my employer).

You have confused "freedom of association" with employment. Termination of employment does not equal "freedom of disassociation" since I have not entered into a contract with my employer to pursue a "common interest" outside of the purview of my duties of teaching, research, and service. And the Board of Trustees are overseers and managers (a real life oligarchy) which muddles whether or not they are really my employers (or whether the city and state of NY truly are).

Actually, the major financial houses on Wall Street (and the more important ones in midtown) are the true anti-capitalists. The "capital" they are involved with is not real capital--instead it is paper claims to assets (many of which are "derived" 2 or 3 times removed from some real physical object). They cannot grow food, repair cars, or cure the sick. The Occupy Wall Street "crowd" is much too complex to pin down. I've seen everything from Socialists (no, not the ones who own the financial houses around Wall Street and get bailed out by the Federal Reserve) to Ron Paul supporters to Lyndon LaRouche fanatics and anti-Semites.

Conspiracy theories? Ah yes, those are fun. Unfortunately there is not much more to it than profiteering and bribery.

Time to go "poison some young minds...."
another thing that is cute is that this guy is writing a book. im sure those administrators with links to the financial industry are terrified that this guy is going to bring down the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 AM
 
12 posts, read 9,750 times
Reputation: 29
Don't worry captain...it is only "threatening" if people read it. If they don't I'm safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 10:49 AM
 
12 posts, read 9,750 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im sure it wasnt cute for them, those chose poorly. i see you are comfortable lying and creating your own reality. the choice to not pay the $75 fee was because:

""I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong," said Gene Cranick."

thank you for so easily exposing yourself as a pure liar.

the rest of your post about how a pay to play service not working is nonsense. it worked perfectly in this case. the homes of people who pay are protected and those who dont pay, dont get protected.
Oh it gets better....in 1978, two private ambulances (under city contract) had EMTs stand and watch a 16 year old kid die because he was just over city limits and they were prohibited from doing what they were trained to do to help him as their city forbade them from operating outside city limits.

Inability to pay for a fire service or knowledge that you must pay in this particular case is pretty abnormal compared to most places in the US, Europe, and Canada.

The victim even offered to pay retroactively.

I just paid my first NJ car insurance premium. At the bottom I noticed a $6 charge to pay into a collective fund for insurance companies who cannot pay or meet their obligations. So now I am paying welfare money (as are other NJ insured drivers) for possible insurance company malfeasance. I guess the insurance lobby must be very powerful in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 12:41 PM
 
12 posts, read 9,750 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
If I feel I can't afford to pay my ridiculously high property taxes and I decide to pay what I can afford, or better yet, none at all, should I get a pass?
You should move. Or you should fight against the ridiculous property tax system. I've seen people paying $20,000 in property taxes! Schools should be federally funded and standardized. Raise federal taxes on UNEARNED Wall Street (finance, insurance, and real estate sector) incomes, reduce wasteful military spending, get rid of drug company patent monopolies,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 PM
 
Location: NJ
22,744 posts, read 28,605,773 times
Reputation: 14642
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to Jersey View Post
Oh it gets better....in 1978, two private ambulances (under city contract) had EMTs stand and watch a 16 year old kid die because he was just over city limits and they were prohibited from doing what they were trained to do to help him as their city forbade them from operating outside city limits.

Inability to pay for a fire service or knowledge that you must pay in this particular case is pretty abnormal compared to most places in the US, Europe, and Canada.

The victim even offered to pay retroactively.

I just paid my first NJ car insurance premium. At the bottom I noticed a $6 charge to pay into a collective fund for insurance companies who cannot pay or meet their obligations. So now I am paying welfare money (as are other NJ insured drivers) for possible insurance company malfeasance. I guess the insurance lobby must be very powerful in NJ.
your 1978 example has nothing to do with the other situation. that was a government defect, the fire example was a person knowingly choosing not to pay because they wanted to save the money and hope they will still get the service because other people were supporting the fire department no thanks to them.

ohh he even offered to pay retroactively! wow!! what extreme generosity! hey, i would like to not pay my life insurance policy and then right when i die i want to get a $10 million policy!

you can thank government corruption for your $6 fee. lobbyists exist because government is corrupt. thats a government problem, not an insurance company problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top