U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 AM

824 posts, read 1,852,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
can't even afford to buy a house that is 150k in NJ. We make so much don't we Gov Christie? NO matter how much I crunch the numbers, when I include property tax, ins., mortage, utilities, PMI, and all the basics it goes over my net income for the month. THe only debt I have is a school loan and a monthly car payment.

I saw a few houses that were under 100k, but they need an immense amount of work and are in horrible areas.

It's very frustrating to read about people who are not even satisfied with buying a house under 500k. They should be so lucky that they can even afford it.

I love my job and I wouldn't know what else to do. I will have to somehow try to earn a second income and hope that my husband can find a job soon. Maybe I'll have to go back to school and get in more debt to study something else. Ha! Forget about starting a family and the biological clock is ticking. The funny thing is that I work in a district that supposedly pays more and I have 7 years experience.

BEing a teacher is wonderful isn't it?

Thanks for reading... I am having a frustrating week.

I see your problem...

You complain about not being able to afford to buy a house on YOUR SALERY ALONE.

Most families in New Jersey have both partners working.

You should be aware that the current mortgage rates call for approx. $500.00/month per $100,000 borrowed.

The rub comes in the fact that property taxes in New Jersey drive the monthly carring cost through the roof.

The dilemma comes when you realize that the driving force in property taxes is the municipal school districts salaries and spending.

If you feel depressed by this, consider those of us NOT living off the backs of the taxpayer.

Sadly, the only solution seems to be that your husband will have to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:38 AM

22,744 posts, read 28,613,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Private sector pays less!
and those schools manage to get people to pay both property taxes for public schools plus private school tuition. its amazing that they are able to do that while paying teachers less. i wonder what that means.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,347,516 times
I would be very interested to know how much you make after 7 years that you can't afford a 150K house. It is hard to really comment without know that.

And most people on one income would certainly have a hard time buying a house unless you are really making good money. If your husband was working would you be able to afford that house?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 AM

22,744 posts, read 28,613,182 times
i know someone with 7 years of teaching experience and i can see online that her salary is just under 66k a year.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 AM

2,508 posts, read 5,271,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i know someone with 7 years of teaching experience and i can see online that her salary is just under 66k a year.
and $66K should be enough to afford a $150K house.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 AM

527 posts, read 2,493,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
and $66K should be enough to afford a $150K house.
Yeah, I was going to say that. Not to be a jerk or anything but how much is the OP making? I bought a $350k house on a $100k salary and we are getting by. Is the OP making less than $50k?

With interest rates as low as they are, a $150k house should be really affordable. Assuming a $15k down payment, your monthly payment, before PMI and taxes and insurance, would be $644/month.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,179,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
4. Reduce paid time off, work longer, and more days to provide more mentorship in small group of 3:1 or 1:1 tutor to students falling behind in your subject matter expertise
My best friend is a Spanish teacher and I don't think you have any concept of how many hours they actually work. She often goes in an hour early and stays quite late tutoring her students who need help and for those who need to make up quizzes/exams. Not to mention the Spanish club she runs and not only does she have to put in the extra hours for their meetings/parties, she pays for most of the material out of her own pocket. This year they have her teaching 6 classes in 3 different schools. She has over 200 students - do you have any idea how much time it takes to write lesson plans for 6 different classes and grade all of their homework and tests? She practically has NO spare time to herself.

For extra income she was teaching an ESL type class at Fairleigh but it was too much time and work on top of what she was already doing. She decided it wasn't worth the extra $2500/semester.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:58 AM

65 posts, read 159,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
My best friend is a Spanish teacher and I don't think you have any concept of how many hours they actually work. She often goes in an hour early and stays quite late tutoring her students who need help and for those who need to make up quizzes/exams. Not to mention the Spanish club she runs and not only does she have to put in the extra hours for their meetings/parties, she pays for most of the material out of her own pocket. This year they have her teaching 6 classes in 3 different schools. She has over 200 students - do you have any idea how much time it takes to write lesson plans for 6 different classes and grade all of their homework and tests? She practically has NO spare time to herself.

For extra income she was teaching an ESL type class at Fairleigh but it was too much time and work on top of what she was already doing. She decided it wasn't worth the extra $2500/semester.

Good post! Those who use the argument about the hours teachers work seem to have the misguided notion that a teachers work day starts and ends with the same bell that begins and ends a students day.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:12 AM

2,060 posts, read 4,027,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post

no question teachers work hard. the discussion here is if teachers make enough money given their education, work hours, benefits, etc. as in any other profession, if one isn't making enough money to live the lifestyle they always wanted, explore other options.

there are two key criteria that one must consider before selecting a career option. first is if they would enjoy doing it for next 30+ years. and second is if it pays enough money. people choose to become teachers because they enjoy working with kids, which is terrific, but did they not know how much it pays to be a teacher and what's a typical work day like?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 AM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
I see your problem...

You complain about not being able to afford to buy a house on YOUR SALERY ALONE.

Most families in New Jersey have both partners working.

You should be aware that the current mortgage rates call for approx. $500.00/month per $100,000 borrowed.

The rub comes in the fact that property taxes in New Jersey drive the monthly carring cost through the roof.

The dilemma comes when you realize that the driving force in property taxes is the municipal school districts salaries and spending.

If you feel depressed by this, consider those of us NOT living off the backs of the taxpayer.

Sadly, the only solution seems to be that your husband will have to get a job.
Was that necessary? Teachers are educating children--that's what your taxes are paying for, regardless of what you think of their salaries. Do you really want to be a society where we DON'T educate our children?

You personally may have no use for education, but imagine the type of society we would be if everyone thought spelling and other forms of learning were just some kind of big joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or