U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM

284 posts, read 524,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi21 View Post
After 11 years as a corporate research scientist, I made only a few thousand more than that.
Your salary is for 12 month, hence you may getting less than her....not to mention the benefits..
I agree with people pointing out that the problem is mainly because her husband is unemployed at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:57 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,146,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
can't even afford to buy a house that is 150k in NJ. We make so much don't we Gov Christie? NO matter how much I crunch the numbers, when I include property tax, ins., mortage, utilities, PMI, and all the basics it goes over my net income for the month. THe only debt I have is a school loan and a monthly car payment.

I saw a few houses that were under 100k, but they need an immense amount of work and are in horrible areas.

It's very frustrating to read about people who are not even satisfied with buying a house under 500k. They should be so lucky that they can even afford it.

I love my job and I wouldn't know what else to do. I will have to somehow try to earn a second income and hope that my husband can find a job soon. Maybe I'll have to go back to school and get in more debt to study something else. Ha! Forget about starting a family and the biological clock is ticking. The funny thing is that I work in a district that supposedly pays more and I have 7 years experience.

BEing a teacher is wonderful isn't it?

Thanks for reading... I am having a frustrating week.
I don't know if anybody mentioned this but consider
buying a two family home in a not so great area. Your tenant will be paying a large portion of you mortgage payment and your unemployed husband now has a job to do. If you can save enough for a down payment on another than buy a second two family house in a nicer location.

I have friends who did this years ago and they retired at 50 with multiple properties bringing in a nice lifetime income.

You must be willing to live in a less than perfect neighborhood (in the beginning) and be able to deal with tenants but it is a way towards owing your own dream home.

Is it easy? Absolutely not but it is do able for those willing to do the work.

BTW I used to do work on my friends properties and some of them were dumps and the tenants were on public assistance but the checks came every month and like he used to tell me. "I don't have to live in them I just make the money off them".

Old 11-14-2011, 04:05 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,816,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't know if anybody mentioned this but consider
buying a two family home in a not so great area. Your tenant will be paying a large portion of you mortgage payment and your unemployed husband now has a job to do. If you can save enough for a down payment on another than buy a second two family house in a nicer location.

I have friends who did this years ago and they retired at 50 with multiple properties bringing in a nice lifetime income.

You must be willing to live in a less than perfect neighborhood (in the beginning) and be able to deal with tenants but it is a way towards owing your own dream home.

Is it easy? Absolutely not but it is do able for those willing to do the work.

BTW I used to do work on my friends properties and some of them were dumps and the tenants were on public assistance but the checks came every month and like he used to tell me. "I don't have to live in them I just make the money off them".
If they pay.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
If they pay.
No doubt that is a legitimate concern but there are thousands of two family homes in NJ with renters paying the bills. I can't imagine that the majority don't pay their rent.

BTW renters on public assistance have their rent payments sent directly to the landlord.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:35 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,403,928 times
Pick a different career. It has gone to hell in this state.

I am all for Christie doing what he has done because teachers in this state have gotten massive ego trips since they are constantly being told they have got it made and cannot go wrong nor can they do better at anything else. But no. You insist you have a "passion" for it and want it no matter what.

I was a teacher once. By the time I had gotten my first teaching job, districts were already ensuring they let their "new" teachers go before they can even become eligible to apply for tenure. They want to pay as little as possible since they will not let tenured teachers take any cuts, at the expense of us newbies. Soon every school district in this state will become a "revolving door" for teachers.

Your finger should be pointed at your local superintendent, not the state governor.

Last edited by HubCityMadMan; 11-14-2011 at 06:44 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 PM

143 posts, read 258,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Thanks for catching it. I make ton of spelling and grammar mistakes, although I think I'm not too bad for someone who immigrated at age of 13
It's all right. We all mistakes. I just that one was funny.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 AM

9,007 posts, read 3,127,688 times
Raven --- don't even think about buying a house now. Prices are going to be lower in 3 years than they are today. In the meantime, concentrate on paying off the existing debt you have and getting your husband some employment. Home ownership is not for everyone and once you add in the sky high NJ taxes (thank you, democrats), you're probably better off renting!

Old 11-15-2011, 04:36 AM

13,466 posts, read 14,454,422 times
Quote:
It's sad that anyone that works hard and is middle class can't buy something so essential as a house. It doesn't have to be fancy.
It's just a fact of life if you choose to live in NJ.

Compared to many other states the cost of a home in NJ is extremely high.

Factor in property taxes that are high enough make your ears pop and your nose bleed, welcome to NJ.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:21 AM

844 posts, read 2,595,688 times
Quote:
can't even afford to buy a house that is 150k in NJ. We make so much don't we Gov Christie? NO matter how much I crunch the numbers, when I include property tax, ins., mortage, utilities, PMI, and all the basics it goes over my net income for the month. THe only debt I have is a school loan and a monthly car payment.

I saw a few houses that were under 100k, but they need an immense amount of work and are in horrible areas.

It's very frustrating to read about people who are not even satisfied with buying a house under 500k. They should be so lucky that they can even afford it.

I love my job and I wouldn't know what else to do. I will have to somehow try to earn a second income and hope that my husband can find a job soon. Maybe I'll have to go back to school and get in more debt to study something else. Ha! Forget about starting a family and the biological clock is ticking. The funny thing is that I work in a district that supposedly pays more and I have 7 years experience.

BEing a teacher is wonderful isn't it?

Thanks for reading... I am having a frustrating week.
There are thousands of other workers who cannot afford a home either, and in most instances with your benefits factored in, they make considerably less; so you really shouldn't be complaining.

Additionally, a very high percentage of families all over the nation need a dual income, so when your husband gets back to work, and you get a summer job, things will be much better.

Count your blessings that you have a job working less hours per year than the average, and have fantastic benefits.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:05 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Raven --- don't even think about buying a house now. Prices are going to be lower in 3 years than they are today. In the meantime, concentrate on paying off the existing debt you have and getting your husband some employment. Home ownership is not for everyone and once you add in the sky high NJ taxes (thank you, democrats), you're probably better off renting!
Another clueless person throwing politics into the mix.

NJ has high property taxes because of home rule and has nothing to do with politics.

Having arguably the best public school system in the country also contributes to the high taxes.

You should be posting in the politics forum with the rest of the "experts"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or