U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 AM

527 posts, read 2,494,088 times

Advertisements

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but I'm curious what you expected your salary to be from a teaching job? After seven years of experience in my current career I was making about $40k, and I am in the private sector. Granted, that was over 10 years ago but in today's dollars I would assume it would be roughly the same as what you are making.

I think the issue has more to do with the cost of housing than what teachers make. My wife worked in education and I have to say I thought her salary was pretty good, and so did she. She was in the mid-60's. Wasn't an easy job, of course, but we both felt the pay was fair.

No one is going to get rich teaching, in NJ or anywhere. Your salary is not Christie's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
After seven years of teaching and a master's degree I make 53k in the public schools and after all the deductions of taxes, mandatory union fees, health deductions, pensions, savings, etc. I'm left with a take home pay of $3500 a month. I think I will also change my exemption to 2 to have more each pay period.

I did get a prequalification from Wells Fargo and they said it was upto 200k. When I read the paper it said that I have to have a net income of $4400 monthly but it was based on gross income and not all the deductions I have to have taken out by public school. We do have 20k saved, but I don't want to give it all as a down payment because we need an emergency fund.

So we figured out that many houses after you add the mortgage, property taxes, PMI, and homeowner's insurance it adds up to about $1600 a month and that doesn't include utilities (which I"m trying to figure out how much that would add up to a month), one car payment at $380, car insurance at 130, school loan 150 , food, gas $200 , etc. It all adds up to just a bit over the monthly income and It would be nice to have a bit of extra at the end of the month for emergencies.

We're working hard now sending resumes everywhere so my husband can find a job. If anyone knows any work at high maximum security hospitals or facilities or knows about the cremation field (yes he has a certification to cremate people, but no one is hiring) I would greatly appreciate it. Those are his two specialties

Both of us came from very poor upbringings so buying a house for us is a very confusing process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 09:17 AM

1,319 posts, read 3,505,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
My best friend is a Spanish teacher and I don't think you have any concept of how many hours they actually work. She often goes in an hour early and stays quite late tutoring her students who need help and for those who need to make up quizzes/exams. Not to mention the Spanish club she runs and not only does she have to put in the extra hours for their meetings/parties, she pays for most of the material out of her own pocket. This year they have her teaching 6 classes in 3 different schools. She has over 200 students - do you have any idea how much time it takes to write lesson plans for 6 different classes and grade all of their homework and tests? She practically has NO spare time to herself.

For extra income she was teaching an ESL type class at Fairleigh but it was too much time and work on top of what she was already doing. She decided it wasn't worth the extra $2500/semester.
Yes, I do actually. While I'm not a teacher, many of my friends and relative are. My mother in law is retired teacher.

I'm not saying it's all of teachers challenges, there is just as much if not more problems on gov't side and their political lack of will to do what's necessary to tackle the big issues in our education system leaving us behind compared to what other countries are already in-progress of. For example, in S.Korea there is gov't education website for teachers and students where teachers can trade, request, lesson plans to help each other put together one faster (on both national, county, and state curriculum level), there are tutorial videos, and exams/hw are being done electronically.

At the same time, in order for anyone to make a good money they have to do work just as much outside of their normal company hours. To hit that six figure salary in a year or two for myself, I spend a ton of time to be domain knowledge expert (in project management, PM) by attending seminars, classes to keep my knowledge sharp, I mentor junior project managers which means I have to prepare presentation materials off-hours, keeping up with latest by reading materials, etc., taking on side projects at work which means I work longer.

Just like real estate agent spends ton of time after hours following-up, generating leads, putting in marketing, reading latest reports, etc. Teachers are no different and saying she has no time for herself would be stretching it. No one can work 24/7 and not have time for herself. Lastly, if one doesn't work their ass off in our current times. We become obsolete in fast changing world and not in the category or get replaced by ones that do.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM

22,745 posts, read 28,621,839 times
i think public school teacher is a great job for a 2nd income in the family. i wouldnt want to have it as the sole income for a family.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 AM

859 posts, read 2,335,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
Dissolution of tenor? How about sopranos and contraltos? (Sorry, couldn't resist, I know that you mean tenure)

Pay more for benefits for new teachers? Of course, that makes perfect sense. The ones who get paid the least will be thrilled to pay more.

Benefits? I don't know a single person who went into teaching for the benefits. They went into it because they love kids and are passionate about their work.

Actually, I was shocked by the original post. There are houses in New Jersey for $150,000??? Or even less?
Teachers getting paid the least...? I almost spit out my water when I read that. I am willing to bet my left ovary that as the lowly social worker that I am, I make FAR less than you! And I'll go as far as to double down on the right one and bet that the population I work with is even more challenging!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 AM

284 posts, read 524,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
To hit that six figure salary in a year or two for myself, I spend a ton of time to be domain knowledge expert (in project management, PM) by attending seminars, classes to keep my knowledge sharp, I mentor junior project managers which means I have to prepare presentation materials off-hours, keeping up with latest by reading materials, etc., taking on side projects at work which means I work longer.

Just like real estate agent spends ton of time after hours following-up, generating leads, putting in marketing, reading latest reports, etc. Teachers are no different and saying she has no time for herself would be stretching it. No one can work 24/7 and not have time for herself. Lastly, if one doesn't work their ass off in our current times. We become obsolete in fast changing world and not in the category or get replaced by ones that do.
Not a PM myself, but the above is so true. I have spoken with the teachers in my kid's school many times last year and found them not keeping up with the research-based methodology. One teacher's idea of "multimedia" visualization was to watch video with my kid, pause the video to explain what they watched, then continued...

Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 AM

51,371 posts, read 50,647,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Teachers getting paid the least...? I almost spit out my water when I read that. I am willing to bet my left ovary that as the lowly social worker that I am, I make FAR less than you! And I'll go as far as to double down on the right one and bet that the population I work with is even more challenging!
I believe the person is referring to NEW TEACHERS, who will pay more for benefits even though they make less money than longer-term teachers. Not comparing to other professions in other industries.

One of my coworkers did what you do for a while. She made peanuts and eventually went back to school and is now in commercial property leasing.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 AM

143 posts, read 259,250 times
The reference was about NEW teachers. Thanks Mightyqueen.

I'm not a teacher, BTW, HeatherLynn, and I do think that social workers are the most grossly underpaid professionals that I know of. Especially considering that you usually need a Master's degree, even more considering the type of job it is -- very stressful and sometimes dangerous.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 AM

7,411 posts, read 7,377,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
The reference was about NEW teachers. Thanks Mightyqueen.

I'm not a teacher, BTW, HeatherLynn, and I do think that social workers are the most grossly underpaid professionals that I know of. Especially considering that you usually need a Master's degree, even more considering the type of job it is -- very stressful and sometimes dangerous.
There is no such thing as being underpaid. Everyone is paid exactly what they are worth. You are paid according to the uniqueness and rarity of your skills and abilities. It just so happens that the skills for social workers, and teachers, and plumbers, and accountants, and real estate agents for that matter, are common and easily obtainable by anyone with a half a brain and a modicum of drive. Truly high pay is reserved for those who excel, and it always has been, and it always will be.

If one truly wants wealth, one must make oneself rare through a combination of talent and effort. Common people make common money and that's fine. Not everyone wants to sacrifice free time with their families and/or friends and/or themselves to establish residence at the top of the bell curve.

The OP "wishes" that an average teacher in northern NJ could afford a detached single family home in a great neighborhood. That is not possible in a market that is in close proximity to a very talented pool of people - those who work near the capital of the world - New York.

It might indeed be possible in other less crowded and less talented markets. So you either make yourself really great, or you move to an area where the competition has less ability.

This is not unfair, or unjust. It's simply a metaphysical reality of living things.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 PM

22,745 posts, read 28,621,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You are paid according to the uniqueness and rarity of your skills and abilities. It just so happens that the skills for social workers, and teachers, and plumbers, and accountants, and real estate agents for that matter, are common and easily obtainable by anyone with a half a brain and a modicum of drive.
you basically said what i was about to say. people keep throwing out how hard they work. thats totally irrelevant. some of the jobs that people would consider to be the "hardest work" are some of the lowest paying jobs out there. the real question is how hard it is to replace you. the reality with teachers is that its pretty easy to replace you.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 PM

9,107 posts, read 3,154,672 times
Today, 08:05 AM
PDD
2,315 posts, read 1,097,300 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40
Raven --- don't even think about buying a house now. Prices are going to be lower in 3 years than they are today. In the meantime, concentrate on paying off the existing debt you have and getting your husband some employment. Home ownership is not for everyone and once you add in the sky high NJ taxes (thank you, democrats), you're probably better off renting!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another clueless person throwing politics into the mix.

NJ has high property taxes because of home rule and has nothing to do with politics.

Having arguably the best public school system in the country also contributes to the high taxes.

You should be posting in the politics forum with the rest of the "experts"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you saying that the democrats did not nearly bankrupt NJ? I hope you aren't saying that. I salute Chris Christie --- "The Best Governor In America" for what he is trying to do. He was dealt a bad hand by Corzine (who has now gone on to wreck MF Global)....and he's doing the best he can to clean things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or