U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM

4,073 posts, read 7,102,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Are you saying that the democrats did not nearly bankrupt NJ? I hope you aren't saying that. I salute Chris Christie --- "The Best Governor In America" for what he is trying to do. He was dealt a bad hand by Corzine (who has now gone on to wreck MF Global)....and he's doing the best he can to clean things up.
Covenient to ignore Whitman's underfunding of pensions to pay for the sales tax decrease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,839,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and those schools manage to get people to pay both property taxes for public schools plus private school tuition. its amazing that they are able to do that while paying teachers less. i wonder what that means.
it's typically because people want to send their kids to a religious school, or have smaller classrooms, etc. it's not necessarily that the schools are better, if that's what you're wondering, though they may be.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Was that necessary? Teachers are educating children--that's what your taxes are paying for, regardless of what you think of their salaries. Do you really want to be a society where we DON'T educate our children?

You personally may have no use for education, but imagine the type of society we would be if everyone thought spelling and other forms of learning were just some kind of big joke.
well said. are cops living off the backs of the taxpayers? are fireman? yeah - they are, and they're also providing a service for that. people like to be ignorant about the fact that things cost money.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Another clueless person throwing politics into the mix.

NJ has high property taxes because of home rule and has nothing to do with politics.

Having arguably the best public school system in the country also contributes to the high taxes.

You should be posting in the politics forum with the rest of the "experts"
well said. my parents live in an area with significantly lower cost of living, and their school taxes are $3,000/yr. on top of that, you also pay a local income tax to the city you work in (aside from your typical state income tax, sales tax, etc). that school tax they pay gets them access to a horrible public school. my school taxes are around $8,000/yr, and I have access to a significantly better school system than they do, yet my town is considered to be more towards the middle in the quality of schools among NJ towns...it's unbelievable how much people gloss over this detail. our taxes are high because NJ residents have demanded a lot over the years. some of it good, some of it bad, but either way, that's how we got here.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:37 PM

22,901 posts, read 28,810,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it's typically because people want to send their kids to a religious school, or have smaller classrooms, etc. it's not necessarily that the schools are better, if that's what you're wondering, though they may be.
i wasnt really saying that they are better. just that they are able to get people to pay both for public and private schools. you are practically paying double for those kids in private school. yet, the teachers are paid less and the education is probably at least as equal to public school. what i really believe is that how much you pay your teachers isnt the primary factor in what makes a school a good one or a bad one.

understand that i am "frugal" so when someone is willing to pay for private school in an area with good public schools and high property taxes, that is interesting to me.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM

390 posts, read 1,125,975 times
If you want to pay less taxes and have crummy public schools, I'm sure there are lots of homes for sale in Florida and Texas. Most people chose to live here because we understand the high cost of living is outweighed by the high quality of life we enjoy here - and our top public schools are a huge part of that.

I don't know any teachers who complain about their salary (they would have picked another profession). I do know a lot of teachers who are complaining about the drastic cuts their districts got from the state (which, by the way, resulted in higher property taxes!) - and how the students are suffering because of it.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
i wasnt really saying that they are better. just that they are able to get people to pay both for public and private schools. you are practically paying double for those kids in private school. yet, the teachers are paid less and the education is probably at least as equal to public school. what i really believe is that how much you pay your teachers isnt the primary factor in what makes a school a good one or a bad one.

understand that i am "frugal" so when someone is willing to pay for private school in an area with good public schools and high property taxes, that is interesting to me.
depends on which private school. most catholic private schools aren't really very expensive, and from my personal experience, the motivating factor is the theology being included in the curriculum. in the case of one of the private schools i had friends at, they ended up closing, because the high school was so bad that kids never stayed past 6th or 8th grade.

what you pay teachers isn't the only factor in what makes a school a good or bad one. i probably wouldn't call it the primary factor either, but it's certainly an important factor in attracting talented educators.

i'm not sure why someone would pay for a private school in an area with good public schools other than the religous aspect of it, or some other sort of specific environmental reason.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
If you want to pay less taxes and have crummy public schools, I'm sure there are lots of homes for sale in Florida and Texas. Most people chose to live here because we understand the high cost of living is outweighed by the high quality of life we enjoy here - and our top public schools are a huge part of that.

I don't know any teachers who complain about their salary (they would have picked another profession). I do know a lot of teachers who are complaining about the drastic cuts their districts got from the state (which, by the way, resulted in higher property taxes!) - and how the students are suffering because of it.
i know a teacher that has a bit of a complaint about her salary. she's making $18,000/yr - her first year teaching out of college. not NJ, in PA, but that's a struggle to live on.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,071,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i know a teacher that has a bit of a complaint about her salary. she's making $18,000/yr - her first year teaching out of college. not NJ, in PA, but that's a struggle to live on.
that's a sin, i made more (significantly more) right out of college 22 years ago. while i like what i do and it's <sort of> valued, i'm not delusional enough to think i'm worth more than a teacher.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,071,308 times
Quote:

i think you need to distinguish between "catholic private" and "private". "catholic private" runs the gamut between good and abysmal (mine was no better than fair). "private" is generally excellent, but you'll pay $30K+ a year for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or