Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 02:46 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times

Advertisements

bradykp
5,957 posts, read 1,948,419 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40
Rough words Marc but basically true. Teachers whine and complain about the low pay but conveniently forget that they get the summers off. I think I'll try telling my boss that I'm taking next summer off, however...I'll "use that time to better myself for my profession". Let's see how well that goes over.
-------------------------------------------------------------
FYI - teachers get 2 months off. not "summers".
--------------------------------------------------------------

I've been at my job nearly 20 years and I take about 3 weeks of vacation and they certainly aren't all during the best months of the year -- the summer. Teachers do quite well with the vacation time and is not even debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:07 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm close.
I'm jealous.

Around 15 years ago, I worked for a company that was taken over by another company and my benefits were grandfathered. I had 5 weeks vacation, unlimited sick time, 10 paid holidays, and decent medical benefits. Prior to the takeover, the original company even gave you an extra week off for your honeymoon!

Am I right to assume you have benefits close to this, because you've been at your job for awhile? Or, are you self employed? Stay there; these benefits are not the norm.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:23 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I'm jealous.

Around 15 years ago, I worked for a company that was taken over by another company and my benefits were grandfathered. I had 5 weeks vacation, unlimited sick time, 10 paid holidays, and decent medical benefits. Prior to the takeover, the original company even gave you an extra week off for your honeymoon!

Am I right to assume you have benefits close to this, because you've been at your job for awhile? Or, are you self employed? Stay there; these benefits are not the norm.
I get thirty-four days vacation. Some of them used to be personal days but they converted them to all vacation. 11 holidays, I think. Sick days aren't exactly unlimited but you could be out for a few months and be paid, provided there was acceptable medical documentation.

The number of vacation days is related to how long I've been there, but even so, the newer people coming in don't get the same amount of vacation to start as did those of us who have been around for decades.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerveza View Post
I hope you're not a math teacher because there's no way that $53k a year equals $3500 a month of take home pay after taxes, union dues, health insurance, etc.
YOu're going to say you know more than me when I'm the one that's getting the damn check every two weeks? Biweekly take home is $1785 and some change

Union, pension, and health insurance fees are not a few dollars being deducted as most people think, it's hundreds!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,354 times
$3500 x 12 = $42, 000.00

Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am also not alone, of the 9 science and engineering teachers at my school all but 1 is leaving next year.
Now, this is tragic. This must stop.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:57 AM

41 posts, read 61,503 times
This is flat-out untrue. Many teachers do not get full-benefits, and sometimes do not get weekends off or summers off. Are you implying business CEO's do not take vacations? What about the former CEO of BP taking yacht vacations while the oil leak in the Gulf kept spewing? Are you serious? If so, teachers must be the most overpaid, under worked majority in America that I have never heard of. Get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
They get retirement, healthcare, summers off, weekends off, spring break, and holidays off which includes a week during Christmas.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
It is interesting, and a symptom, I think, of a much larger problem, when so many are so concerned with how much time off they get. Perhaps this illustrates the decline in the work ethic that has resulted in third world countries beating the snot out of us and taking our jobs.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you given an option as far as pay goes? you either get your pay spread out over 9 months or 12 months?
We didn't have that option. We had the option of them taking a percentage of our pay and saving it for us...but when they took 50% from the start (with pension, union dues, taxes) I couldn't afford to have more taken out and still pay my bills

Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It is interesting, and a symptom, I think, of a much larger problem, when so many are so concerned with how much time off they get. Perhaps this illustrates the decline in the work ethic that has resulted in third world countries beating the snot out of us and taking our jobs.
Yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the companies that operate in the 3rd world pay pennies an hour, make people work 14 hour days and have no benefits....that's really something we should strive for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey