Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,250 times

Advertisements

Captain- what is on data universe includes compensation beyond the teaching salary. For example does she oversee a club or coach a sport. If she is an elementary school teacher does she give up her lunch hour, stay late or come in early to watch the kids? All of those things are paid duties- the pay varies of course for each but that could be the difference in the data universe salary and the contract teachers pay scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Private sector pays less!
Then it's time to change jobs. If you are looking to make X, and no jobs in the industry are paying X, it's time to retrain and move on to something new. Whining is not an option. Well, OK, it is, but not a productive one.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:31 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Why do politicians get pensions?
For the same reason a dog licks his balls. Because they can.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Captain- what is on data universe includes compensation beyond the teaching salary. For example does she oversee a club or coach a sport. If she is an elementary school teacher does she give up her lunch hour, stay late or come in early to watch the kids? All of those things are paid duties- the pay varies of course for each but that could be the difference in the data universe salary and the contract teachers pay scale.

...and, it needs to be pointed out that "extra duty" pay--which includes things like coaching and supervising student clubs--is NOT a part of the salary that is used to calculate someone's retirement benefits. Only the contractual salary can be used when calculating retirement benefits.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM

12 posts, read 11,650 times
The reason for tenure is so that (I am a professor on a tenure track) we do not get burned at the stake for saying something against the powers that be. Eg. I am writing a book critical of how Wall Street operates (and its immense power over Washington). The Board of Trustees of my public university have many connections to the financial sector and phone calls can be made, pressure can be applied if enough people start reading my work and they can fire me. Therefore I am silent (will not pursue publication of book) until I have tenure (based on high quality research that requires 80-90 hours of (yes even during the summer)).

Most of the pay in public schools is going to administrators who do very little. But that is the point. Many of the Wall Street bankers want public schools to fail. Why? Because they want buy them at fire sale prices and turn the into charter schools. The No Child Left behind act puts pressure on districts to improve test scores, reduces federal funding (sometimes inducing localties to raise property taxes), starve their budget, then paint the schools and teachers as failures. This is a pre-text for privatization. Not only schools: libraries will be turned into bookstores, fire depts, police depts, drinking water, toll booths, etc. In Missouri a family did not pay for their "fire subscription" and the fire department showed up and watched the house burn down. This is the wave of the future because there are no other physical assets left for Wall Street to create derivatives and debt securities with. There last place to turn is to privatize the public sector.

The fact that you cannot buy a house is part of the plan to reduce the living standards of the American middle class (liquidate the middle class). Wall Street is a parasite but a dumb one.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Tenure makes sense -- in fact tenure is critical -- at a university level. I think it does no good at the elementary/high school level.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Your one of the lucky ones, you have a job. It's next to impossible to get a job in teaching here in NJ unless you have an inside connection.
And what's wrong with this statement, boys and girls?

Old 01-05-2012, 02:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to Jersey View Post
The reason for tenure is so that (I am a professor on a tenure track) we do not get burned at the stake for saying something against the powers that be.
why do professors deserve any more protection from getting burned by the powers that be than an employee anywhere? i dont particularly care if you feel you have the freedom to write your book, we will all be fine without it.

that issue with the family having their house burn down because they didnt pay was cute. they intentionally chose not to pay the fee. they didnt want to pay their "fair share" like everyone else who was contributing to the fire department, but they wanted the benefits. of course, their home should have burned down. its like choosing not to get insurance, you save the money but take the risk.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:48 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to Jersey View Post
The reason for tenure is so that (I am a professor on a tenure track) we do not get burned at the stake for saying something against the powers that be. Eg. I am writing a book critical of how Wall Street operates (and its immense power over Washington). The Board of Trustees of my public university have many connections to the financial sector and phone calls can be made, pressure can be applied if enough people start reading my work and they can fire me. Therefore I am silent (will not pursue publication of book) until I have tenure (based on high quality research that requires 80-90 hours of (yes even during the summer)).

Most of the pay in public schools is going to administrators who do very little. But that is the point. Many of the Wall Street bankers want public schools to fail. Why? Because they want buy them at fire sale prices and turn the into charter schools. The No Child Left behind act puts pressure on districts to improve test scores, reduces federal funding (sometimes inducing localties to raise property taxes), starve their budget, then paint the schools and teachers as failures. This is a pre-text for privatization. Not only schools: libraries will be turned into bookstores, fire depts, police depts, drinking water, toll booths, etc. In Missouri a family did not pay for their "fire subscription" and the fire department showed up and watched the house burn down. This is the wave of the future because there are no other physical assets left for Wall Street to create derivatives and debt securities with. There last place to turn is to privatize the public sector.

The fact that you cannot buy a house is part of the plan to reduce the living standards of the American middle class (liquidate the middle class). Wall Street is a parasite but a dumb one.
How dare you think you have a right to a job guarantee for life at the expense of those who might be better qualified and/or just plain better teachers. You should not be shielded because of your politics.
If your employers don't agree with your politics, they should have every right to fire you. It's called freedom of association. With the corollary implied right of freedom of disassociation.

Your anti-Capitalist nonsense is typical of the Occupy Wall Street crowd, which I am sure you completely approve of. And you also seem to be suffering from conspiracy theoritis, and a distaste for a society based on merit and quality rather than collectivism and mediocrity.

It is scary enough that you fancy yourself to be a teacher. The prospect of someone like you being tenured and allowed to poison young minds for the rest of your life is an abject tragedy.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:33 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,250 times
Tenure is not a guarantee of a job for life. Tenure is a guarantee that you will receive due process and will be fired for cause. The problem is that administrators do not document why they want someone fired. Fault the administrators and not tenure.
No I am not a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey