U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,439,196 times

Advertisements

can't even afford to buy a house that is 150k in NJ. We make so much don't we Gov Christie? NO matter how much I crunch the numbers, when I include property tax, ins., mortage, utilities, PMI, and all the basics it goes over my net income for the month. THe only debt I have is a school loan and a monthly car payment.

I saw a few houses that were under 100k, but they need an immense amount of work and are in horrible areas.

It's very frustrating to read about people who are not even satisfied with buying a house under 500k. They should be so lucky that they can even afford it.

I love my job and I wouldn't know what else to do. I will have to somehow try to earn a second income and hope that my husband can find a job soon. Maybe I'll have to go back to school and get in more debt to study something else. Ha! Forget about starting a family and the biological clock is ticking. The funny thing is that I work in a district that supposedly pays more and I have 7 years experience.

BEing a teacher is wonderful isn't it?

Thanks for reading... I am having a frustrating week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 PM

769 posts, read 2,399,139 times
Your one of the lucky ones, you have a job. It's next to impossible to get a job in teaching here in NJ unless you have an inside connection.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 PM

688 posts, read 1,026,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
can't even afford to buy a house that is 150k in NJ. NO matter how much I crunch the numbers, when I include property tax, ins., mortage, utilities, PMI, and all the basics it goes over my net income for the month. THe only debt I have is a school loan and a monthly car payment.

I saw a few houses that were under 100k, but they need an immense amount of work and are in horrible area.
I hear you! I'm in a very similiar situation in the DC 'burb's. Very frustrating. All I can do is sympathize.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM

15,757 posts, read 13,184,034 times
And that is why this is my last year teaching. Signed my contract to go back to my old job already. More than 25% pay increase (including benefits), similar hours and I will miss my students every day. I am also not alone, of the 9 science and engineering teachers at my school all but 1 is leaving next year.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:31 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,501,726 times
First, sorry to hear that you are having a rough time.

Personally, I'm all for paying teachers a whole lot more in return for at least the following...

1. Dissolution of tenor - effective immediately so performance is what keeps teacher's job
2. Get rid of pension for new teachers. Existing and retired teacher are grandfathered but they keep their old payrate and don't get the new payrate.
3. Major reduction in benefit package for new teachers meaning you pay more into healthcare, dental, vision package. Except for grandfathered in teachers (existing and retired)
4. Reduce paid time off, work longer, and more days to provide more mentorship in small group of 3:1 or 1:1 tutor to students falling behind in your subject matter expertise

I would love to see good qualified experienced teachers (5+ years) get paid 80-90k in NJ in return for items I listed above. Why? Because it'll make teachers more dependent on their performance and skills to keep job, not 'stick' it out for more years to get pension because it won't exist, not take this job for benefits.

Private sector white collar jobs have no job security, no one will take care of you, high employee contribution amount for benefits, and not a whole lotta days off for most part. In return you get paid more for it. I'd love teachers to be in same scenario so neither side will complain about what one side has and don't have. Also gov't will be forced to pay cash upfront and not pay it later in pension only for the fund to be raided for something else and have this huge problem. Plus it'll get rid of investment scandals with gov't money put away to pay for teacher pensions.

Edit: To give you an example, I pay $500 for family healthcare, dental, and vision every month which isn't unusually high or low. Plus since I don't have option for reduced pay for pension so I max out my 401k. What that means is my 80k salary roughly turns into 59k a year in terms of cash flow (6k for benefits, 15k for 401k) which you can chop out my state/federal taxes and let's say that's about 9k. I get 50k in my pocket which turns into about 4k a month.

Last edited by babo111; 11-13-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 PM

505 posts, read 2,108,145 times
I can understand your frustration and completely get where you are coming from. But please understand for a moment that affording the home isn't the problem that you have. It is the taxes that are pricing you out of the market.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 PM

7,405 posts, read 7,367,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
can't even afford to buy a house that is 150k in NJ. We make so much don't we Gov Christie? NO matter how much I crunch the numbers, when I include property tax, ins., mortage, utilities, PMI, and all the basics it goes over my net income for the month. THe only debt I have is a school loan and a monthly car payment.

I saw a few houses that were under 100k, but they need an immense amount of work and are in horrible areas.

It's very frustrating to read about people who are not even satisfied with buying a house under 500k. They should be so lucky that they can even afford it.

I love my job and I wouldn't know what else to do. I will have to somehow try to earn a second income and hope that my husband can find a job soon. Maybe I'll have to go back to school and get in more debt to study something else. Ha! Forget about starting a family and the biological clock is ticking. The funny thing is that I work in a district that supposedly pays more and I have 7 years experience.

BEing a teacher is wonderful isn't it?

Thanks for reading... I am having a frustrating week.
I would not wallow in self-pity the way you are right now. If more money is your goal, figure out a logical path to get there and follow it. It's the same thing in my industry. The typical agent cannot afford a $150,000 home. The best agents have no trouble affording a $5,000,000 home. I would suspect the same thing is true of plumbers, and lawyers, and doctors. The key is to get good enough to command more income. Perhaps pursuing a teaching position in the private sector. Or making yourself a better teacher so that you are in high demand due to your enhanced skill set. Or doubling up on the jobs and saving money.

And anyway, the bottom line is this: If you don't have an appointment with an oncologist this week, life is good! Being broke is not unjust, it is simply a fact in time that can be changed. So get to work and change it!

Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 PM

143 posts, read 259,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post

Personally, I'm all for paying teachers a whole lot more in return for at least the following...

1. Dissolution of tenor - effective immediately so performance is what keeps teacher's job
2. Get rid of pension for new teachers. Existing and retired teacher are grandfathered but they keep their old payrate and don't get the new payrate.
3. Major reduction in benefit package for new teachers meaning you pay more into healthcare, dental, vision package. Except for grandfathered in teachers (existing and retired)
4. Reduce paid time off, work longer, and more days to provide more mentorship in small group of 3:1 or 1:1 tutor to students falling behind in your subject matter expertise

I would love to see good qualified experienced teachers (5+ years) get paid 80-90k in NJ in return for items I listed above. Why? Because it'll make teachers more dependent on their performance and skills to keep job, not 'stick' it out for more years to get pension because it won't exist, not take this job for benefits.

Private sector white collar jobs have no job security, no one will take care of you, high employee contribution amount for benefits, and not a whole lotta days off for most part. In return you get paid more for it. I'd love teachers to be in same scenario so neither side will complain about what one side has and don't have. Also gov't will be forced to pay cash upfront and not pay it later in pension only for the fund to be raided for something else and have this huge problem. Plus it'll get rid of investment scandals with gov't money put away to pay for teacher pensions.

Edit: To give you an example, I pay $500 for family healthcare, dental, and vision every month which isn't unusually high or low. Plus since I don't have option for reduced pay for pension so I max out my 401k. What that means is my 80k salary roughly turns into 59k a year in terms of cash flow (6k for benefits, 15k for 401k) which you can chop out my state/federal taxes and let's say that's about 9k. I get 50k in my pocket which turns into about 4k a month.

Dissolution of tenor? How about sopranos and contraltos? (Sorry, couldn't resist, I know that you mean tenure)

Pay more for benefits for new teachers? Of course, that makes perfect sense. The ones who get paid the least will be thrilled to pay more.

Benefits? I don't know a single person who went into teaching for the benefits. They went into it because they love kids and are passionate about their work.

Actually, I was shocked by the original post. There are houses in New Jersey for $150,000??? Or even less?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post

That is crazy!

Well I'm all for taking tenure away because as a teacher I don't really see it working in my town.
I wish there wasn't so much time off in the summer because a lot of teachers don't get paid in the summer, it's only a ten month contract. So the check is bigger and therefore more tax taken out and then it's up to yourself to budget for 12 months on 10 month salary.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
Dissolution of tenor? How about sopranos and contraltos? (Sorry, couldn't resist, I know that you mean tenure)

Pay more for benefits for new teachers? Of course, that makes perfect sense. The ones who get paid the least will be thrilled to pay more.

Benefits? I don't know a single person who went into teaching for the benefits. They went into it because they love kids and are passionate about their work.

Actually, I was shocked by the original post. There are houses in New Jersey for $150,000??? Or even less?
Yes there are! You just have to look around on the real estate websites. I saw one for 60k but it was a HUGE mess.

They are not in northern NJ. They are only in central and south NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or