Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
This is too vague. Those days are gone; I don't know of any company that offers this now. What companies offer 5 weeks vacation, unlimited sick days, and an extra week off for Christmas?

Healthcare benefits are far worse than they were in years past. My insurance "benefit" doesn't pay for anything until I spend $2,000.00 up front.
i don't know, most of my friends get the 10 holidays (some get 8), and 3-4 weeks of vacation. 5 weeks is the high end, and usually people with 3+ years of service. sick days i've seen both sides - some companies give 3 or 5, some just use the honor system. the extra week is the one that's most rare, but i think amongst my friends i happen to know an unusually high amount that get it. some friends get 2 days for 4th of july and labor day too.

healthcare has gotten a lot worse though. 100% with you there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Everyone needs to shut the hell up. Ok we get it teachers are horrible overpaid bums. The private sector is greedy and useless. Now what? Talk about divide and conquer. These (all) politicians have everyday "joes" fighting amongst themselves for a smaller and smaller piece of the "American Dream". Its sad that all we do here is bash each other when in reality most people in this country work dam hard and earn everything they get.
good point! very true. we focus way too much bashing each other within the middle class.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
good point! very true. we focus way too much bashing each other within the middle class.
the public sector "middlet class" is not the same as the private sector middle class. the public sector's benefits/pay come from the private sector. so if they are overpaid, the private sector middle class is hurt by it. this is a private vs public sector issue, not a middle class vs middle class issue.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:43 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
quality of life has declined for many in the U.S. with many households needing to be dual-income, and continous increases in "productivity" - that means people working more hours typically. and even with that, when many take a day off, they have remote access, blackberrys, etc.

when were people not concerned with benefits at a job? this isn't new.
Good point. I am expected to monitor my BB on off-hours and weekends and on days off. People have been told to take their laptops along on vacation when something is going on.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
In the private sector now often the only way to get a decent salary hike is to leave and go someplace else. Which means starting over with the minimum number of vacation days.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Liberal disinformation campaigns trumpet that income tax rates as a percentage of GDP are lower than other countries, and lower than at other times in the past.
Income taxes as a percentage of GDP? Who cares??? What matters to me is income taxes as a percentage of _income_, and that's sure not at an all time low.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,978 times
Try being a teacher in Florida. My husband has 10 years of experience and only makes $38,600 (same as last year). Family insurance is $800 a month (NOT including dental, vision, or disability - those are extra), and that just increased by $50 a month here. The plan is terrible - thousands out of pocket for even the most routine stuff)

He has no planning periods due to mandatory meetings most days.

Tenure was banned this year, so he will be on annual contract forever. (we moved away and came back - huge mistake!)

It's a JOKE here and we are looking to leave the state asap. We would kill to get a teaching job in NJ (he grew up there). I actually know 2 teachers up there; one was a former co-worker of mine when I used to teach here. Christie has made some radical changes according to my sister-in-law who teaches there, but the protections she has a unreal. Unions are a joke here, so we have never even joined.

Good luck to you. At least you have a job. We are talking about going to a 4-day school week here, and when we lived in GA, 150 teachers were laid off, then everyone else took 10 furlough days AND a 2.8% pay cut on top of that. Student school days were cancelled for some of the furloughs.

Education is suffering death by a thousand cuts and we are going to lose the new crop of teachers who decide to change majors and go into healthcare or some other field.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:15 PM

124 posts, read 227,739 times
MovedfromFl, Thank you for this post. The scenario you described echoes what is also happening in CA, where my sister teaches. CA used to be envied as the best state for education. Prop.13, passed years ago, slashed property taxes but ruined California's educational system. My sister now teaches HS English classes of 50 in a suburban, middle class town in LA county. Unpaid furlough days, slashed salaries-just like in GA add to this race to the bottom. Yes, NJ is better than FL and CA but not for long. I'm sorry to say this but the education reform, or should I say "deform"" Christie is fighting for(in a state that ranks #4 in education in the country) is part of a concerted effort to destroy unions and to privatize public schools-a cash cow for the wealthy. Christie is also out to dissolve tenure and institute merit pay-just like FL.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:28 PM

124 posts, read 227,739 times
@MovedfromFl-Here's one of many recent articles. Also read JerseyJazzman.com

Group with connections to Christie, Rhee making big push into politics of NJ education | The Republic

Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB1234 View Post
MovedfromFl, Thank you for this post. The scenario you described echoes what is also happening in CA, where my sister teaches. CA used to be envied as the best state for education. Prop.13, passed years ago, slashed property taxes but ruined California's educational system. My sister now teaches HS English classes of 50 in a suburban, middle class town in LA county. Unpaid furlough days, slashed salaries-just like in GA add to this race to the bottom. Yes, NJ is better than FL and CA but not for long. I'm sorry to say this but the education reform, or should I say "deform"" Christie is fighting for(in a state that ranks #4 in education in the country) is part of a concerted effort to destroy unions and to privatize public schools-a cash cow for the wealthy. Christie is also out to dissolve tenure and institute merit pay-just like FL.
One point of correction... California had the best system until Serrano became law.

Serrano made the State responsible for education instead of the local community... Many strongly supported funding their local schools pre Serrano...

Prop 13 came about to re-establish some local control and even with Prop 13... revenue increased for nearly 30 years...

California also still has some outstanding public schools and districts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey