U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 28,627 times

Advertisements

Hi -- just wondering if anyone out there actually does this commute daily and can tell me how long it usually takes during normal rush hour. A few of you have posted your thoughts in other threads, including one of mine -- just hoping to get a very clear idea before we commit to NB as our new home.
It sounds like we can expect 40-50 minutes in the a.m. and 45-60 minutes in the p.m. to the Lawrenceville area -- is that right? I don't think my wife could handle any more than that, frankly...
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
I used to drive from Princeton Jnc to down town New Brunswick to work and back in 30 minutes. From Lawrenceville and/or Princeton, I would add about 10 to 15 more minutes.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:18 AM

2,060 posts, read 4,021,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa37 View Post
Hi -- just wondering if anyone out there actually does this commute daily and can tell me how long it usually takes during normal rush hour. A few of you have posted your thoughts in other threads, including one of mine -- just hoping to get a very clear idea before we commit to NB as our new home.
It sounds like we can expect 40-50 minutes in the a.m. and 45-60 minutes in the p.m. to the Lawrenceville area -- is that right? I don't think my wife could handle any more than that, frankly...
Thanks!
Depends on the time. If you start before 7 AM, it shouldn't be too bad but between 7:30 to 9, Rt 1 South gets very congested. But 45-50 minutes should be enough time even with the regular congestion.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,403,301 times
I live in North Brunswick and have gone to Quakerbridge Mall in Lawrenceville more than a few times. It never took me longer than 25 minutes, but it was not during rush hour.

It is a straight ride down Rt 1 to get there. The only real issue I see is the six mile stretch of it through South Brunswick where it narrows down to two lanes each way and all at-grade intersections before widening back up in Plainsboro. But where it backs up the most is between Aaron Rd and Finnegans Ln since that is where the third lane disappears so you have that heavy merge.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,018,422 times
I used to commute between New Brunswick to Rider.

First things first: If you're committing to New Brunswick as your new home, be absolutely sure you want to live there. Commute is one thing, but the college kids and the crime element are another. I don't know where in NB you want to live, but make sure you're renting.

Secondly: At most, the commute took 45 minutes. The key is knowing the correct backroads to getting on 1 and then knowing the correct backroads getting to your location.

Shouldn't be more than 45 mins each way, IMHO. It's a reverse commute - a lot of people go north in the morning, and go south at night. You're going against that flow.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 PM

87 posts, read 195,883 times
I agree with SweepTheLeg. I was a grad student at Douglass campus and worked in Ewing, and 40-45 minutes was the norm between the two. I had to be at work at 8:00 and left my apartment between 7:00-7:15 and was never late. I even stopped at McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts on the way sometimes.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:49 AM

838 posts, read 1,728,000 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Yeah I have to ask what's the motivation to live in New Brunswick. It's good for the college student, but I see little value in living there for any other purpose.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:11 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Yeah I have to ask what's the motivation to live in New Brunswick. It's good for the college student, but I see little value in living there for any other purpose.
There's two other good reasons to live there. Train Station access, and Johnson & Johnson. They have some nice condos recently built near downtown. And they're fairly cheap too. I think you can get a 2 bedroom for $450,000. But I don't know what rent is if you wanted to rent.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,109,805 times
Quote:
Thanks!
HMM it's called NJT NEC line to princeton walk to nassau st a 2 min walk then use NJT 606 the trip is quite short

Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 PM

838 posts, read 1,728,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's two other good reasons to live there. Train Station access, and Johnson & Johnson. They have some nice condos recently built near downtown. And they're fairly cheap too. I think you can get a 2 bedroom for $450,000. But I don't know what rent is if you wanted to rent.
I'm not trying to be argumentative here but there are plenty of good towns with direct train access. Additionally, if you work at J&J you could drive in there. J&J does have private gated parking for thier employees.

The new condos and high rise apts are nice I agree with you there. But they are very expensive with high HOA fees. It appeals to the young professional looking to live the urban lifestyle. An urban lifestyle in New Brunswick? It just doesn't seem to work or be believable to me.

If that's what you want and are willing to pay top dollar for it, you'd be in NYC, JC, Hoboken or Brooklyn. N.B. has the state theatre, a comedy club and a few nice restaurants, however an individual looking for an urban lifestyle will soon be bored looking for other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or