U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 AM

15 posts, read 47,623 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking to move from UWS to Westchester largely due to proximity of my office to Grand Central. Yesterday we came across Glen Ridge, NJ and like it, but obviously I would have to commute into Penn Station and then make the trek across town. Total commute time is about the same from Glen Ridge as it would be from Chappaqua or Briarcliff, and not as convenient as from lower Westchester (Larchmont, River Towns). Seems like you get much more for the money in Glen Ridge althoguth taxes are high in both. Anyone have any epxeriences to share about making a similar decision or live in Glen Ridge can can tell us more about the community? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 01:05 PM

390 posts, read 1,118,400 times
I live in Glen Ridge so any specific questions you may have I'd be happy to answer. I'm totally unfamiliar with Weschester, so I'm not really able to compare the two.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 PM

4,074 posts, read 7,045,383 times
Wow, taxes are similar in Westchester compared to Glen Ridge? Just surprised because Glen Ridge's reptutation is that it's taxes are very high, even for NJ.

Otherwise, keep Montclair in mind as an option too.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 PM

667 posts, read 1,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Wow, taxes are similar in Westchester compared to Glen Ridge? Just surprised because Glen Ridge's reptutation is that it's taxes are very high, even for NJ.

Otherwise, keep Montclair in mind as an option too.
Many of the Westchester towns, Dobbs Ferry, Scarsdale, Bronxville, Chappaqua (sp?), etc., are easily on par if not higher than what you see for Glen Ridge.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 PM

I replied to your question via message, but I'm very curious about Wechester now. Do a lot of these towns with easy access to NYC have nice downtowns, schools, etc? I know the Batali empire opened in Tarrytown recently, so something must be happening there.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 PM

88 posts, read 301,553 times
Default Glen Ridge vs. Westchester

When we were looking to move out of the city twenty years ago, we started our search in Westchester; towns like Larchmont, Mamaroneck, river towns, Pelham, etc. We liked the housing stock and the areas but we saw we got very little for our money. We almost settled on something when a friend of ours told us to check out New Jersey. We never saw ourselves living in New Jersey but on our daytrip out there, we discovered the beautiful towns of Montclair and Glen Ridge. Our agent showed us about six properties and we couldn't believe how much further our money went there. We wound up buying the first house she showed us.

Glen Ridge is a lovely middle and upper class town. It doesn't have much in the way of shopping or a downtown but you do most of your errands and eating out in Montclair. It's got a highly respected school system, a beautiful community pool and some of the most colorful trees this time of year. If you live on the south end of town below Bloomfield Ave., there is a jitney which runs along Ridgewood Ave. to take you to the train station.

I enjoy the area and the architecture so much I became a real estate agent. If you have more specific questions, you can send me a direct message.

Good luck.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 AM

23 posts, read 50,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
I live in Glen Ridge so any specific questions you may have I'd be happy to answer. I'm totally unfamiliar with Weschester, so I'm not really able to compare the two.

We are looking at Glen Ridge as possible town to move to, due to schools, from the UK. From a practicality point of view, I would like to know the actual trasit time for commuting daily for office from there to either Long Island City station or Court square station. My husband's office will be located there and we are looking at other options as well. Transit time will be a criteria to chose.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 AM

23 posts, read 50,797 times
Could I also know of the diversity of people in the town? Are there numbers in Indian, black and other races too?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM

I used to live in Glen Ridge, and know the town well. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

To answer the above question, Glen Ridge itself is almost entirely white, but the surrounding areas, and Northern NJ in general, are very diverse.

Glen Ridge's taxes are a little bit lower than most of Weschester, and the main reasons people move there are:
1. The schools
2. Easy access to Penn Station (35 minutes)
3. The beautiful, historic architecture and homes
4. Proximity to Montclair

The main negative of Glen Ridge is that the surrounding neighborhoods have declined around it.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM

88 posts, read 301,553 times
There is a small Indian population in Glen Ridge. A realtor colleague of mine who is Indian and lives in Glen Ridge says there are about 15-20 Indian families in Glen Ridge. If you would like to contact her for more information regarding the community, direct message me and I will give you her contact information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey