U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 20,514 times

Advertisements

I commute 62 miles each way. It is mostly all highway and takes 1 hour each way most days. Yesterday it took me an additional 30 minutes and it annoyed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM

587 posts, read 1,909,120 times
Thankfully ~15 miles round trip.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,651,743 times
On a good day its 1.5 hrs of driving each way. About 50 miles D2D (middlesex to morris county). On a bad day - like today - its almost 3 hours to get here. I rarely get home before 8pm.

When I was single I didnt care.
When we were looking for a house, we were able to almost double the size of the house and have 1/2 the taxes for the same monthly mortgage.
Now, that my son is getting older (hes now 4) I have decided that I am absolutely miserable commuting so far away. I have been looking for 2 years for something closer to home. Either the pay is 10-15k less (Gas and toll savings would only be about 3.5k/year) or requires travel (which I am unwilling to do...the whole point is to be home more.)
I actually love my job, but the commute is tearing at me.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:29 PM

30 posts, read 78,946 times
On average it's about 65-75 minutes each way from South Plainfield to Lower Manhattan.(no or little traffic). I drive to JC and hop on the PATH. I normally dont mind, but on days when I have to work late I'd love to blink and be home.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 PM

51,551 posts, read 50,793,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading. How do people not mind 1.5 - 2 hour commutes?? Do you not have families? I can't imagine losing 4 hours of every day being on a train, bus, or car. The longest I ever had to commute was 45 minutes by car and it felt like an eternity. My commute now is 5 miles (10 minutes). I feel like I have regained much of my life back. I can actually spend more time with my kids now and be able to relax with my family.
Sometimes you do what you have to do because of your job. When my daughter was growing up, I had the hour and 20 commute and lived in a town where my mother and other family members lived. Now my daughter is at school on the other side of the planet, I moved somewhere further away but more affordable, and the commute doesn't matter except for my own mental health. I've been at my job for almost 33 years. I'd like a shorter commute, but I can hardly leave now and forfeit the benefit of retiring from payroll.

And as I said--I am a reader. The NJ Transit train part of the commute means I have two solid hours to read every day without thinking I should get up and do something else--because I can't!

It all depends upon one's situation and one's available choices.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,451,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading. How do people not mind 1.5 - 2 hour commutes?? Do you not have families? I can't imagine losing 4 hours of every day being on a train, bus, or car. The longest I ever had to commute was 45 minutes by car and it felt like an eternity. My commute now is 5 miles (10 minutes). I feel like I have regained much of my life back. I can actually spend more time with my kids now and be able to relax with my family.
You gotta do what you gotta do. I used to live in downtown JC and later on in Lyndhurst, and had that blissful 20 min commute for years. But my wife works in Princeton Area, and we wanted a house. Guess what, and for what we wanted to spend, we didnt want to live in a condo or townhouse. So we moved somewhere in the middle (middlesex county) and got a beautiful house.

I leave my house around 720 and am home by 630, i dont think thats terrible at all.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM

244 posts, read 485,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
You gotta do what you gotta do. I used to live in downtown JC and later on in Lyndhurst, and had that blissful 20 min commute for years. But my wife works in Princeton Area, and we wanted a house. Guess what, and for what we wanted to spend, we didnt want to live in a condo or townhouse. So we moved somewhere in the middle (middlesex county) and got a beautiful house.

I leave my house around 720 and am home by 630, i dont think thats terrible at all.
It's definitely a trade off and my husband and I are trying to figure it out now. We are looking in Monroe township and robbinsville and LOVE LOVE the houses and what we could get for our price range. I would have to leave at 730 and likely wouldn't get home until 7-8p most days. Now it's fine because we don't have kids but down the road it could be something I regret. I could always look for a job in NJ in my industry to lessen commute.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,451,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren810g View Post
It's definitely a trade off and my husband and I are trying to figure it out now. We are looking in Monroe township and robbinsville and LOVE LOVE the houses and what we could get for our price range. I would have to leave at 730 and likely wouldn't get home until 7-8p most days. Now it's fine because we don't have kids but down the road it could be something I regret. I could always look for a job in NJ in my industry to lessen commute.
we looked in the good zip of hamilton (steiner) and lawrenceville. I concluded it was too far. Monroe and Robbinsville are in no mans land. And like you, we dont have kids now, but will soon, and so we passed on moving that far south with a commute into the city

Last edited by TonyStarksNJ; 11-16-2011 at 07:59 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 10:43 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,501,783 times
Yowza, reading some of these makes me feel bad for complaining about my old commute.

My office is in Edgewater, and for years I'd commuted from Brooklyn and later Queens to Port Authority, grabbed a bus there and got to Edgewater. In the mornings, it was a solid hour and a half. Evenings? Different story. If left the office at 6 and the bus showed up on time, which it rarely did, I'd be lucky to be home by 7:45.

Finally it just got to be too much. The anxiety of it all (which I never felt when I lived in Brooklyn and my job was in Manhattan) was too much, to the point where personality was taking a toll and I wasn't all to nice to be around (unless I had a beer in hand!) which eventually brought us to NJ.

Now it's about 15-20 minutes drive from my town to work. And, I can leave the office when I'm done for the day, not when I have to run down the hill for a bus that may or may not show up. It's nice finally being a bit more in control of where I am. Though I do miss my crossword puzzle time on the N/Q/R/E/M/G/7/L trains and 158 bus.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,227,916 times
12 steps. I chose to work out of my basement. But I have to travel to NYC on occasion (which I do by train)... that's about 50 miles each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or