Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:06 PM

244 posts, read 597,938 times

Advertisements

How far is your commute to work door to door? Specifically if you live in NJ and work in NYC how long does it take?

Is an hour and a half commute door to door (one way) completely miserable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren810g View Post
How far is your commute to work door to door? Specifically if you live in NJ and work in NYC how long does it take?

Not at all. As a matter of fact, until several weeks ago, my commute to NYC was 2 hours door to door. Our office moved to J.C., and it cut about 20 - 25 minutes off the commute each way.

The two-hour commute was fairly recent--since I moved to Central Jersey two years ago. That was getting to be a little hard to take, but I know people who go 2 - 1/2 hours each way. For years, coming from NW Bergen County, the commute was about an hour and 20 minutes to the WTC; then, after the buildings went down and we were relocated, it took about an hour and a half.

I use the time for reading. Sometimes I nap at the end of the day, but not that often. Reading's not a bad thing--as a matter of fact, the lack of people reading these days is showing pretty badly in the lack of knowledge and inability to write a clear sentence that so many people demonstrate, and no one will interrupt you. If you're the kind of person who can't sit still for an hour or so and can't entertain yourself or find use of the time, you might have a problem.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:04 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren810g View Post

All depends on how you get there. If it's just straight shot train or bus ride that's not a problem. You can ride it and do your own things like reading books, surfing online, hell even get some work stuff done.

If you're talking as in you have to drive to town X that's not nearby and then take a train B to city or to another town then transfer. No then it's miserable.

Basically more transfers you have to make, more nightmare it becomes, and more point of failures to screw up your commute (ie. train doesn't run, road is not plow, ferry hour is closed, etc.)

Old 11-15-2011, 06:37 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
I am 1.75 hours door to office cubicle chair from Jersey Ave to my office in midtown. No transfers on the NEC, Its a straight shot. In the morning I sleep on the train on the way in, and in the evening, I sleep on the way home.

You can also read, or do work. But i prefer to leave the work at home and sleep. As long as you arent driving, and arent transferring multiple times, I dont think the 1.5 hour commute is terrible at all.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM

71 posts, read 162,938 times
I had been driving 82 miles door to door, after not really caring for the job as it was the 82 miles became unbearable.
Picked up a great new job in L.I. that is now 45 miles and 1:15 hours.

For 12 yrs I worked 4 miles from home, I find the commute time to think but wish I could get home earlier to spend time with family

Old 11-15-2011, 07:03 PM

44 posts, read 184,242 times
Millburn to Madison park in manhattan, 55 minutes door to door. Very tolerable, I actually prefer it to the commute I had when I lived in the financial district because the train ride is more comfortable than the subway and I can get some reading done.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
All depends on how you get there. If it's just straight shot train or bus ride that's not a problem. You can ride it and do your own things like reading books, surfing online, hell even get some work stuff done.

If you're talking as in you have to drive to town X that's not nearby and then take a train B to city or to another town then transfer. No then it's miserable.

Basically more transfers you have to make, more nightmare it becomes, and more point of failures to screw up your commute (ie. train doesn't run, road is not plow, ferry hour is closed, etc.)
Good points. Some modes of commuting are better than others.

I have a 7-minute drive to the train station, then an hour on NJ transit to Newark, and a 20-minute PATH ride to Jersey City. The hour on the train is the best part. Plus, the first part of the ride going and the last part going home are scenic--the bay, the rivers, the woods, the marshlands with egrets, etc.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
65-70,000 miles per year.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:36 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading. How do people not mind 1.5 - 2 hour commutes?? Do you not have families? I can't imagine losing 4 hours of every day being on a train, bus, or car. The longest I ever had to commute was 45 minutes by car and it felt like an eternity. My commute now is 5 miles (10 minutes). I feel like I have regained much of my life back. I can actually spend more time with my kids now and be able to relax with my family.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:37 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading. How do people not mind 1.5 - 2 hour commutes?? Do you not have families? I can't imagine losing 4 hours of every day being on a train, bus, or car. The longest I ever had to commute was 45 minutes by car and it felt like an eternity. My commute now is 5 miles (10 minutes). I feel like I have regained much of my life back. I can actually spend more time with my kids now and be able to relax with my family.
There is always pro and con for just about everything. I'm sure folks had reasons for their long commute. I did my 2-2.5 hour round trip commute everyday driving for 3 years because it was decent job and job market really sucked during past 3-4 years. But now I have new opportunity and 15min walking distance but I work longer so I can get even further ahead in my career. Don't have children yet so my wife and I are focused on getting ahead so we can be more financially stable before taking jobs at companies and work location that's more family friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey