U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 AM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Reputation: 12779

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If the OP resides in South Orange and has concerns about quality of life issues in that town, then he/she needs to complain loud and long to the elected officials and police of South Orange. If "the powers that be" are doing things to improve conditions in Jersey City, Newark, and other urban areas, then it is up to the elected officials and police in South Orange to do what is necessary to improve conditions in that town.

The Powers That Be have a responsibility to the town that they represent, be it Newark, Jersey City, East Orange, South Orange, or any other municipality. To complain about what is being done in other municipalities without demanding more action from your own municipality is just...backward, IMHO.


I should complain about the "ghettos" moving out of Trenton into West Windsor. Oh, wait, that isn't happening because my mayor cares about us.

 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 PM
 
831 posts, read 2,273,547 times
Reputation: 710
I can't believe people are attacking the OP in support of lazy, poor, trash.
What's happening is all true and why should a hard working person with money have to put up with poor people destroying the town.
Low income shouldn't equal crime and destruction, but it does.

I'm black so I know what history has done to my culture, but there's no excuse anymore.

A similar situation is happening to me in Montclair.
For 7yrs I rented a great apt. in upper montclair, safe, quiet, clean but pricey.

I had to move in Sept. in a hurry, had to take a cheaper, smaller place in the South End section of the same town, now I can barely leave the house. Everything is different and the apts. are literally 10mins apart. Everynight when I get home police are staked up by my complex because of crime, bums walk up and down the road to the liquor store in huge gangs looking suspicious, cars are not safe on the street, my doors have to be bolted down because i'm afraid whereas before I barely locked them during the day. It's not the worse case senario, but it's like night and day.

I'm in one of the lower income, all black sections of Montclair and the quality of life is the pits because of the residents in this area. It's ridiculous and unneccessary. Maybe if they would get jobs, educate their kids and make better decisions this wouldn't be happening. I can't wait to move. At this point i'm starting over after a layoff and i'm considered low income, but I don't act like my neighbors. It seems like none of them work or have respect. As soon as I get my income up, i'm leaving.

To the OP, that's all you can do as well, they won't change. Leave.
 
Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 5,216,879 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I can't believe people are attacking the OP in support of lazy, poor, trash.
What's happening is all true and why should a hard working person with money have to put up with poor people destroying the town.
Low income shouldn't equal crime and destruction, but it does.

I'm black so I know what history has done to my culture, but there's no excuse anymore.

A similar situation is happening to me in Montclair.
For 7yrs I rented a great apt. in upper montclair, safe, quiet, clean but pricey.

I had to move in Sept. in a hurry, had to take a cheaper, smaller place in the South End section of the same town, now I can barely leave the house. Everything is different and the apts. are literally 10mins apart. Everynight when I get home police are staked up by my complex because of crime, bums walk up and down the road to the liquor store in huge gangs looking suspicious, cars are not safe on the street, my doors have to be bolted down because i'm afraid whereas before I barely locked them during the day. It's not the worse case senario, but it's like night and day.

I'm in one of the lower income, all black sections of Montclair and the quality of life is the pits because of the residents in this area. It's ridiculous and unneccessary. Maybe if they would get jobs, educate their kids and make better decisions this wouldn't be happening. I can't wait to move. At this point i'm starting over after a layoff and i'm considered low income, but I don't act like my neighbors. It seems like none of them work or have respect. As soon as I get my income up, i'm leaving.

To the OP, that's all you can do as well, they won't change. Leave.
No one's attacking the OP in defense of the ghetto element. All we're telling him/her to do is stop barking up the wrong tree. Don't complain about the element moving to your town, DO something about it.

The OP wants Newark/JC etc. and the like to remain exactly the way they are (which are job centers, but are drains on the state treasury). Why should the state's cities remain thug havens??
 
Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Reputation: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I can't believe people are attacking the OP in support of lazy, poor, trash.
What's happening is all true and why should a hard working person with money have to put up with poor people destroying the town.
Low income shouldn't equal crime and destruction, but it does.

I'm black so I know what history has done to my culture, but there's no excuse anymore.

A similar situation is happening to me in Montclair.
For 7yrs I rented a great apt. in upper montclair, safe, quiet, clean but pricey.

I had to move in Sept. in a hurry, had to take a cheaper, smaller place in the South End section of the same town, now I can barely leave the house. Everything is different and the apts. are literally 10mins apart. Everynight when I get home police are staked up by my complex because of crime, bums walk up and down the road to the liquor store in huge gangs looking suspicious, cars are not safe on the street, my doors have to be bolted down because i'm afraid whereas before I barely locked them during the day. It's not the worse case senario, but it's like night and day.

I'm in one of the lower income, all black sections of Montclair and the quality of life is the pits because of the residents in this area. It's ridiculous and unneccessary. Maybe if they would get jobs, educate their kids and make better decisions this wouldn't be happening. I can't wait to move. At this point i'm starting over after a layoff and i'm considered low income, but I don't act like my neighbors. It seems like none of them work or have respect. As soon as I get my income up, i'm leaving.

To the OP, that's all you can do as well, they won't change. Leave.
It's more that the OP thinks he/she is better than the "lazy, poor, trash" (your terms). But somehow ended up in a town full of "lazy, poor, trash". It's a no brainer here, if you're living among the "lazy, poor, trash" and aren't the "lazy, poor, trash" yourself, then move. You can't kick the "lazy, poor, trash" out since for obvious reasons, including that they have the lowest income and options. But anyone who is not "lazy, poor, trash" has an income that allows them to freely move around... otherwise they are just "lazy, poor, trash" themselves... and possibly in denial.
 
Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 PM
 
9,313 posts, read 13,839,731 times
Reputation: 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If the OP resides in South Orange and has concerns about quality of life issues in that town, then he/she needs to complain loud and long to the elected officials and police of South Orange.
Ha, the police of South Orange won't go east of the police station, except maybe to harass some Seton Hall students. Normally they're occupied with seat belt checkpoints and parking violations.
 
Old 11-18-2011, 02:14 PM
 
157 posts, read 279,699 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I can't believe people are attacking the OP in support of lazy, poor, trash.
What's happening is all true and why should a hard working person with money have to put up with poor people destroying the town.
Low income shouldn't equal crime and destruction, but it does.

I'm black so I know what history has done to my culture, but there's no excuse anymore.

A similar situation is happening to me in Montclair.
For 7yrs I rented a great apt. in upper montclair, safe, quiet, clean but pricey.

I had to move in Sept. in a hurry, had to take a cheaper, smaller place in the South End section of the same town, now I can barely leave the house. Everything is different and the apts. are literally 10mins apart. Everynight when I get home police are staked up by my complex because of crime, bums walk up and down the road to the liquor store in huge gangs looking suspicious, cars are not safe on the street, my doors have to be bolted down because i'm afraid whereas before I barely locked them during the day. It's not the worse case senario, but it's like night and day.

I'm in one of the lower income, all black sections of Montclair and the quality of life is the pits because of the residents in this area. It's ridiculous and unneccessary. Maybe if they would get jobs, educate their kids and make better decisions this wouldn't be happening. I can't wait to move. At this point i'm starting over after a layoff and i'm considered low income, but I don't act like my neighbors. It seems like none of them work or have respect. As soon as I get my income up, i'm leaving.

To the OP, that's all you can do as well, they won't change. Leave.
I can agree with you. My grandmother lived in a senior citizen building across from Orange Park. After the sun set she wouldn't step foot outside out of fear of getting mugged, and she had every right to have that fear. You are right about the mentality of the people and that they need to do something about themselves.

The OP is barking up the wrong tree though. He said that people are leaving and renting their homes out to lower income people. Whose fault is that? The lower income person who's moving in, or the person renting the place to whoever just to make a buck and because they are no longer in the town they don't care what happens. Which is essentially what happened in Newark, EO, Orange and Irvington.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
696 posts, read 1,203,990 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyResident View Post
So let me understand this. So you are saying as long as it's cleaning up the quality of life in one city, it doesn't matter if it ruins the quality of life in other towns? There are better ways to clean up your community. Maybe if NPD or JCPD did their job we wouldn't have to worry about thugs coming into these towns.
Or maybe if Maplewood/SO PD and other suburban PD actually did their jobs, grow a set and protect their own town from these ghetto hoodlums instead of issuing parking tickets, we wouldn't have this problem.

Or better yet, move to the sticks.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 AM
 
5,617 posts, read 13,389,329 times
Reputation: 2771
UMMM GHETTO PEOPLE YOU SAY:
Let me add what I know as facts. I know several active drug dealers. They deal, crack, pills, pot. Some are on section 8 playing the single mom act, some are the part time low wager. They live in towns such as Lodi, clifton and Wayne. They like too look poor however they are far from it. They play poor. Listen you better wake up. Most of these people have little side businesses off the books selling nice little piles of drugs in nice little towns, acting like poor little people on food stamps and section 8. Meanwhile they have more money than you!! We are not talking the 19 year old gang member, you would not realize that its your single mother next door in Clifton NJ, selling xanax, oxy's or now suboxon. Poor in Newark, MY A##~~!!!!! These people will deliver right to your home, people will pay big money and they never seem to get caught. It a whole underground economy of these people that you would never know.

now I can also add to a nice man in a gym a nice old guy, selling a pile of nice little steriods to all sorts of people in a nice corner gym in a nice little passaic county town in NJ. Makes a pile of money off the books and he is poor!! He claims he is an old personal trainer who makes below the poverty level and cant even pay for his rent barely. Meanwhile the steroids that go in and out of that gym are unbelievable!!! Poor my A##!! Ohh and this guy is damn old, you would not think this for a million years!!!

Point is you cant really judge a book by its cover. These people you would not think are ghetto at all. They mix very well with your south orange townies. The key is they are smart. They get the section 8 or poor act down, play the hard working jerk and make a small buck legally and do big business illegally. They can afford to live in a semi decent town and not look like a drug dealer but they are the same scum!!! They just refine their act better. They are slick. They are cons, they are good. And they are RICH!!

Last edited by stevemorse; 11-19-2011 at 12:12 PM..
 
Old 11-19-2011, 12:59 PM
 
17 posts, read 49,286 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
No one's attacking the OP in defense of the ghetto element. All we're telling him/her to do is stop barking up the wrong tree. Don't complain about the element moving to your town, DO something about it.

The OP wants Newark/JC etc. and the like to remain exactly the way they are (which are job centers, but are drains on the state treasury). Why should the state's cities remain thug havens??
So, in order for one city to get better another town has to become a haven for thugs? So you are saying it's okay to push thugs to another town as long as it makes yours safer?
 
Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 PM
 
17 posts, read 49,286 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
let's time i remembered south orange was very safe as i recall. there's crime but it's nowhere near the level that you're saying that it is which leads me to believe that this thread was influenced more from your racist views as you displayed than what's really going on.

what it sounds like is that there are more black people moving into your suburbian neighborhood and like the neighbors i had across the street 10 years ago, you can't stand the sight of black people. keep it honest, you're a racist. why don't you move to one of the many towns in new jersey with a majority of white population if you can't stand the sight of black people? i live in maplewood. i'm black. i'm a law abiding citizen. you probably think that all black people in south orange are from newark. i'm tired of dealing with racists such as yourself that don't realize that skin color has nothing to do with crime. in fact, i know of plenty of guys from south orange that were pretty much doing all sorts of crime and are white. i don't see you saying anything about that. what about the students that go to seton hall that are busy causing all sorts of trouble and whatever else? you assume that because you see a young black man or woman, they're going to cause trouble when they're just like you, trying to enjoy life and make it back in one peace. so you can shove your views where the sun doesn't shine assuming that every black person is a damn criminal.
I'm just pointing out facts. The same things that happened in Irvington in the late 70's is happening in South Orange now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top