U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 AM

701 posts, read 1,438,117 times

Advertisements

I wish I saw this thread earlier. A couple of points I need to make, anyone who is a blatant racist should not live in South Orange.
Also, comparing South Orange to Irvington is very stupid. Irvington was a working class white suburb of Newark. After the 1967 riots and when Newark took its final turn for the worse Irvington went down with it and in under 20 years went from white to black and incomes went from working class to poor and crime went from minor to sky high. South Orange has been diverse for a long time and has to many beautiful neighborhoods to ever suffer the same fate as Irvington. Ultimately, if you live in South Orange, Maplewood you cannot have this mindset. Both towns are very small and unlike West Orange every neighborhood will be about 5-10 minutes from Newark. If you do I would recommend getting out of Essex County because diversity is everywhere there and will continue to spread.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 AM

20 posts, read 24,642 times
I've been around South Orange, Newark and Irvington for most of the last 20 years. I have not seen that much of a change other than a higher presence of African-Americans.

The crime the OP speaks of is HIGHLY exaggerated.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 AM

4,383 posts, read 8,676,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyResident View Post
They push the poor out of the city and they have no where else to go but smaller towns. Look at Penn Hills, Pa. It use to be a great place to live. Now it's a ghetto suburb. It's getting worse because the poor are getting pushed out the city into it. It is filled with nothing but murders, gang banging, and crime.
Since when do cities have an obligation to house "thugs" while enduring a lower quality of life so u can enjoy a highern one? Especially since its clear you are not concerned with them having to deal with what you are complaining about. Im sure you'd be perfectly content if these people moved onto another town and you wouldn't shed a tear

Old 11-23-2011, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 19,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.phillips View Post
I've been around South Orange, Newark and Irvington for most of the last 20 years. I have not seen that much of a change other than a higher presence of African-Americans.

The crime the OP speaks of is HIGHLY exaggerated.
Yes it is exaggerated a little. But, stuff like that does happen in SO. Last time I was there someone broke in my car and stole my laptop. Although, I admit leaving it where someone can see it was a bad idea on my part..... it still proves that the town does house some trouble makers. I also remember walking down the street one day and seeing some guy following me. After I noticed him I ran and he ran after me. I lost him about 2 minutes after that. Other than that.... nothing else has happened to me there. SO is a nice place. I just hope somebody who is looking forward to living in this area doesn't read this post. This post makes SO seem like it's turning into Baghdad.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:09 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,128,606 times
Default Crime has been getting worse this year because of the police layoffs in Newark, EO, and Irvington. A lot of those inner

what do police layoffs in these towns have to do with crime in another town. Do the other towns patrol your town. If I was a crook i wouldn't go to a town that didn't lay off police. I would go to a town that laid them off.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:13 AM

17 posts, read 49,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I wish I saw this thread earlier. A couple of points I need to make, anyone who is a blatant racist should not live in South Orange.
Also, comparing South Orange to Irvington is very stupid. Irvington was a working class white suburb of Newark. After the 1967 riots and when Newark took its final turn for the worse Irvington went down with it and in under 20 years went from white to black and incomes went from working class to poor and crime went from minor to sky high. South Orange has been diverse for a long time and has to many beautiful neighborhoods to ever suffer the same fate as Irvington. Ultimately, if you live in South Orange, Maplewood you cannot have this mindset. Both towns are very small and unlike West Orange every neighborhood will be about 5-10 minutes from Newark. If you do I would recommend getting out of Essex County because diversity is everywhere there and will continue to spread.
Are you calling me racist? I just point out facts. Just like I said before "I grew up in Newark's west side neighborhood" I was surrounded by blacks. We all know when they come in property prices go down.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 AM

17 posts, read 49,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
what do police layoffs in these towns have to do with crime in another town. Do the other towns patrol your town. If I was a crook i wouldn't go to a town that didn't lay off police. I would go to a town that laid them off.
When I was growing up in Newark the kids use to to richer towns because out there people have better things to steal. They still do it now. Think, If you was a thief would you want to rob someone in your poor little neighborhood where they hardly have anything worth value? No, you would want to go where people have nice cars, watches, and rings. The inner city kids are getting away with so much in their town so they start to think they are invincible.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,520 times
Default Woaw!

This whole discussion is about socioeconomic boundaries. Who is the good, who is the bad, and who is the ugly is matter of perspective.

We don't need a lesson on who best to steal from. Clearly a thief, who has any brains at all, steals from those who have something worth stealing.

It's true, drugs are everywhere and in every town. Affluent teenagers smoke just as much weed as kids in not so affluent communities. However, kids from affluent neighborhoods usually draw the line at self-destructive behavior.

Car theft, larceny, breaking and entering, are usually low-income hobbies. If you don't have much respect for authority, then helping your self to someone else's belongings is no big deal. If you're dad kills himself to bring home a few hundred dollars a week, and you can make that much by stealing a car... well...

For the kid who's dad is an accountant or an executive, it doesn't seem worth it to steal for a few bucks, but the kid who's dad barely feeds his family has a very different perspective on the matter.

I don't condone criminal behavior of any kind, but I certainly understand the machination behind it. If you live on the border between these two worlds, get yourself a couple of large dogs. Most thieves will not risk harm to themselves in order steal something. If your being robbed by someone who is capable of murder, then you have a real problem.

That's it for me, and always remember, my opinion is worth the price you paid for it.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:02 PM

572 posts, read 1,733,533 times
Wow...you have an answer for everything don't you? Simply put, the types of crimes you are talking about (stolen vehicles, graffiti and yes even "Chain Snatching") are generally younr local teenagers with nothing to do. I grew up in an upper-middle class/upper class town and this stuff still happened there.

Kids get bored and some of the bad apples, and yes there are bad apples in good neighborhoods, resort to illeagle activities.

Quote:
You didn't ruin the discussion. Crime has been getting worse this year because of the police layoffs in Newark, EO, and Irvington. A lot of those inner city kids have been coming to small towns running around committing crimes. You have to wait till 2011 is over to get the official stats. So the discussion is back on until then and didn't you notice 2010's crime rate was higher then 2006,2007,2008, and 2009. If you are going to bring up stats.... read them right. It's funny.... You came on here trying to act smart but you showed yourself to be the complete opposite.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:06 PM

572 posts, read 1,733,533 times
I think you just proved yourself a racist by stating, and I quote, "We all know when they come in property prices go down."

Really...who are you kidding trying to say you are not a blatant racist?!?!?!?! Here is an idea...move to Kentucky or some other white majority state and I am sure you will see they have the same crime...committed by white people who are just as ignorant as you are.

Oh...and I am not black just in case you were wondering...just an appalled human being.

Quote:
Are you calling me racist? I just point out facts. Just like I said before "I grew up in Newark's west side neighborhood" I was surrounded by blacks. We all know when they come in property prices go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or