Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM

17 posts, read 57,685 times

Advertisements

I live in South Orange, Nj and thugs and poor residents are starting to move in. They are being pushed out of places like Jersey City, Newark, and New York because of gentrification. Don't people ever think about us who still want to live in the burbs? Did you know that East Orange was one of the richest suburbs in the state? Now they are letting the same thing happen to SO. Why can't they just keep the poverty in the city? I have no problem with poor people but crime has been occurring all over town. Graffiti, robberies, and thefts are all becoming common. Why do these cities just push their problems onto another town? It's already too late for orange, Irvington, and East Orange. Now WO and SO are next.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Blah , Blah , Blah.....quit whining....thugs moving in eh.... There are poor suburbs you know , go to Southeastern PA or the Midwest. Most Poor people I know are law bidding citizens... Stop painting a board stroke.... Graffiti is often done by the teens of the towns and not outsiders....and thats been going on for decades... LOL , what happens when EO and O come back.....i'm sure SO and WO will come up with ways to slow that. The Surrounding suburbs of Newark , The Urban Oranges and Elizabeth have already fought a war on any nice developments going up in those areas , thus less jobs in the Urban areas and more social economic problems.. So part of the problem is your town creating unfair advantages over the surrounding Urban areas...

Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Gotta agree w/ Nexis, a lot of youth today (even in decent areas) contribute to quality of life concerns. You'll know when crime migration is solid once the drugs come. Right now, folks have to go to the city to get them.

With all that said, how can poor afford SO? It doesn't have an abundance of affordable housing and a lot of that property is very expensive.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Gotta agree w/ Nexis, a lot of youth today (even in decent areas) contribute to quality of life concerns. You'll know when crime migration is solid once the drugs come. Right now, folks have to go to the city to get them.

With all that said, how can poor afford SO? It doesn't have an abundance of affordable housing and a lot of that property is very expensive.
I have seen this happen for different reasons. For example, I seen one wealthy home owner let a poor family rent. It could be that simple.
That's why the quality of life in Newark's ironbound is going down the drain.

There are also poor people in SO. We just don't have them like Newark. Last time I checked The amount of people living under the poverty line was almost 6%

And don't take this as racist but SO's percentage of AA are almost about 40%(Last time I checked). That's where Irvington was in the late 70's.

A lot of home owners move out for these reason. Look what happened to EO.

Last edited by NewJerseyResident; 11-15-2011 at 10:45 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 AM

390 posts, read 1,366,794 times
So move. Go move to upper Bergen County where you won't ever have to look at a poor person again. You don't live in Essex County unless you're comfortable that all kinds of socio-economic classes living in close proximity. You're obviously not. Many others are.

Crime is frustrating, but it's going to be a fact of life living in proximity to areas like Newark and Orange. You can't build a wall around South Orange!

All my best,
A person renting (oh gawd!) from a wealthy family in an upscale Essex County town. Sorry for ruining your towns!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:09 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyResident View Post
I live in South Orange, Nj and thugs and poor residents are starting to move in. They are being pushed out of places like Jersey City, Newark, and New York because of gentrification. Don't people ever think about us who still want to live in the burbs? Did you know that East Orange was one of the richest suburbs in the state? Now they are letting the same thing happen to SO. Why can't they just keep the poverty in the city? I have no problem with poor people but crime has been occurring all over town. Graffiti, robberies, and thefts are all becoming common. Why do these cities just push their problems onto another town? It's already too late for orange, Irvington, and East Orange. Now WO and SO are next.
So let me understand this. You want other towns, like Newark & Jersey City, to STOP the gentrification that is causing criminals & thugs to leave those towns, because those undesirables are moving too near you? You want efforts to improve the quality of life in other towns to stop so that YOUR quality of life isn't affected?

Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So let me understand this. You want other towns, like Newark & Jersey City, to STOP the gentrification that is causing criminals & thugs to leave those towns, because those undesirables are moving too near you? You want efforts to improve the quality of life in other towns to stop so that YOUR quality of life isn't affected?

Yup!
I think that you have summed up the OP's philosophy very well.
Perhaps the OP may want to reflect on what you have pointed out.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So let me understand this. So you are saying as long as it's cleaning up the quality of life in one city, it doesn't matter if it ruins the quality of life in other towns? There are better ways to clean up your community. Maybe if NPD or JCPD did their job we wouldn't have to worry about thugs coming into these towns.

Last edited by NewJerseyResident; 11-16-2011 at 01:19 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyResident View Post
So let me understand this. So you are saying as long as it's cleaning up the quality of life in one city, it doesn't matter if it ruins the quality of life in other towns? There are better ways to clean up your community. Maybe if NPD or JCPD did their job we wouldn't have to worry about thugs coming into these towns.
Tell us what it is that these towns are doing, that you feel they should NOT be doing. How is the quality of life in your town being ruined by the quality of life improvements in another town or city? How is it their fault that the thugs & undesirables that leave their town, come to yours?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:35 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,794 times
Yes, the police of Newark (who just lost how many officers?) and Jersey City are just sitting around lazily - they're not out on the streets every night putting their lives in danger to protect citizens! I'd like to see you try and do what they do for ONE night - sounds to me like you have trouble even looking at a dark skinned man, never mind the things they have to put themselves through. I hate to say this about anyone I don't really know, but you're coming off as incredibly ignorant and sheltered, and you know what - downright offensive to the men of women of New Jersey's police departments who put their lives on the line each and every single day for ungrateful citizens like yourself.

Look, I'll be fair - South Orange is a WEALTHY town - average household income $116,000 - median house price $480,000. But a large part of your town borders Orange and Newark. They're your neighbors, and poor people live there, and you're going to have to share your life with them. This isn't going to change, and you'll have to get over it. And yes, because of the large change in income in a small amount of space, crime is going to happen (I live in Glen Ridge, trust me, I know it's not fun).

But this is exactly what makes Essex County appealing to so many people. It's not just upper class, and your children grow up exposed to a lot more. Many people consider this a positive. It's why so many people from New York City chose to make South Orange, Maplewood, Montclair, and Glen Ridge their homes. You, obviously, don't like it. So my best advice to you, again, is that unless you can convince the Village of South Orange to build an electric fence around its borders (wouldn't that be a fun way to live?) is to move. Northern Bergen County is also super wealthy, and is surrounded by only super wealthy towns, and crime is non existent. Go there. Start a new life. Make new friends! Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Alpine, Franklin Lakes. You'd probably love it there. It is totally fair and reasonable that Essex County isn't for everyone. There are certainly pros and cons. Most of the things you consider cons you will avoid in Bergen County. There's nothing wrong with that at all!

Until you do, I'd recommend taking a minute to thank the police officers in your village, who are working every night to make your town safer, and keep the unfortunate few, who want to ruin it for the hard working many, out of your homes.

And by the way, I grew up in Elmwood Park, and Garfield: two towns MUCH less wealthy than South Orange, and that border Passaic and Paterson. It's lower to middle class families who work hard, and crime is about HALF of South Orange's. So blaming it on income alone doesn't explain anything. Newark, Irvington, Orange, and East Orange have problems that go deeper than economics. Since you live next to them, you're going to share in some of those problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey