Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyResident View Post
I live in South Orange, Nj and thugs and poor residents are starting to move in. They are being pushed out of places like Jersey City, Newark, and New York because of gentrification. Don't people ever think about us who still want to live in the burbs? Did you know that East Orange was one of the richest suburbs in the state? Now they are letting the same thing happen to SO. Why can't they just keep the poverty in the city? I have no problem with poor people but crime has been occurring all over town. Graffiti, robberies, and thefts are all becoming common. Why do these cities just push their problems onto another town? It's already too late for orange, Irvington, and East Orange. Now WO and SO are next.
Yeah, we should have never gotten rid of redlining, keep that scum away from our pristine land!

Get a grip......

Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM

17 posts, read 57,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Tell us what it is that these towns are doing, that you feel they should NOT be doing. How is the quality of life in your town being ruined by the quality of life improvements in another town or city? How is it their fault that the thugs & undesirables that leave their town, come to yours?
They push the poor out of the city and they have no where else to go but smaller towns. Look at Penn Hills, Pa. It use to be a great place to live. Now it's a ghetto suburb. It's getting worse because the poor are getting pushed out the city into it. It is filled with nothing but murders, gang banging, and crime.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
They push the poor out of the city and they have no where else to go but smaller towns. Look at Penn Hills, Pa. It use to be a great place to live. Now it's a ghetto suburb. It's getting worse because the poor are getting pushed out the city into it. It is filled with nothing but murders, gang banging, and crime.
You sound very sheltered , which typical of most Morris & Essex line towns.... I suggest you get out of your bubble and explore the world , so where not allowed to have the poor class live near the Upper class? Most of the Upper Class uses the Poor class for "slave labor"...

Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Gotta agree w/ Nexis, a lot of youth today (even in decent areas) contribute to quality of life concerns. You'll know when crime migration is solid once the drugs come. Right now, folks have to go to the city to get them.

With all that said, how can poor afford SO? It doesn't have an abundance of affordable housing and a lot of that property is very expensive.
You can get drugs in any suburb. Drugs are everywhere.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LOL , what happens when EO and O come back....
For Orange to come back, it would have had to have been somewhere in the first place. Personally as a WO resident, I'd like to see EO come back (more buffer between me and Newark), but I don't see it happening.

As for SO, it's not the job of the gentrifying areas to stay crappy so the thugs stay put. It's the job of SO to keep the thugs unwelcome, so any migrating thugs go somewhere else.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:50 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
You can get drugs in any suburb. Drugs are everywhere.
Yeah, but you can't get them way you can in Newark. Gangs have and will fight over drugs in NJ's larger cities; back-and-forth warfare over them isn't as common in the suburbs.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
I've always felt Orange was nice (and was indeed nicer in the past), but then again, it's no Livingston.

---------------------

To the OP, a better Newark/JC/Elizabeth etc would be much easier on the state's treasury if these areas would gentrify. Cities are more creators of wealth, whereas suburbs are usually the result of wealth. A city doing good can push your taxes that support it lower.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 PM

376 posts, read 665,480 times
Quote:
I have seen this happen for different reasons. For example, I seen one wealthy home owner let a poor family rent. It could be that simple.
That's why the quality of life in Newark's ironbound is going down the drain.

There are also poor people in SO. We just don't have them like Newark. Last time I checked The amount of people living under the poverty line was almost 6%

And don't take this as racist but SO's percentage of AA are almost about 40%(Last time I checked). That's where Irvington was in the late 70's.

A lot of home owners move out for these reason. Look what happened to EO.
let's time i remembered south orange was very safe as i recall. there's crime but it's nowhere near the level that you're saying that it is which leads me to believe that this thread was influenced more from your racist views as you displayed than what's really going on.

what it sounds like is that there are more black people moving into your suburbian neighborhood and like the neighbors i had across the street 10 years ago, you can't stand the sight of black people. keep it honest, you're a racist. why don't you move to one of the many towns in new jersey with a majority of white population if you can't stand the sight of black people? i live in maplewood. i'm black. i'm a law abiding citizen. you probably think that all black people in south orange are from newark. i'm tired of dealing with racists such as yourself that don't realize that skin color has nothing to do with crime. in fact, i know of plenty of guys from south orange that were pretty much doing all sorts of crime and are white. i don't see you saying anything about that. what about the students that go to seton hall that are busy causing all sorts of trouble and whatever else? you assume that because you see a young black man or woman, they're going to cause trouble when they're just like you, trying to enjoy life and make it back in one peace. so you can shove your views where the sun doesn't shine assuming that every black person is a damn criminal.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
So let me understand this. So you are saying as long as it's cleaning up the quality of life in one city, it doesn't matter if it ruins the quality of life in other towns? There are better ways to clean up your community. Maybe if NPD or JCPD did their job we wouldn't have to worry about thugs coming into these towns.
Maybe you should move out of a poor town into a town in which "thugs" or "poor people" cannot afford.

Move to Jersey City waterfront. You can get a nice apartment in a safe area for as little as $4000/month.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:08 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
If the OP resides in South Orange and has concerns about quality of life issues in that town, then he/she needs to complain loud and long to the elected officials and police of South Orange. If "the powers that be" are doing things to improve conditions in Jersey City, Newark, and other urban areas, then it is up to the elected officials and police in South Orange to do what is necessary to improve conditions in that town.

The Powers That Be have a responsibility to the town that they represent, be it Newark, Jersey City, East Orange, South Orange, or any other municipality. To complain about what is being done in other municipalities without demanding more action from your own municipality is just...backward, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey