U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:58 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,927,608 times

Advertisements

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...r_teen_su.html

I agree with the school in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 09:57 AM

3,223 posts, read 8,254,778 times
I was bashing the haters in the comment section. People are so ignorant about American history. When schools get to banning gothic artists and rebel flags you can only imagine what's next. When I was in 4th grade my school tried to suspend me for 2 weeks for having a pocket knife (not unusual to carry for a pinelands boy). My father was very angry and went to the school and they reduced the suspension to 3 days. lol. This was in 1994. When I have children, they're going to be homeschooled. I want to make sure they actually learn a lot and remember their god-given rights.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 AM

164 posts, read 349,238 times

Old 11-16-2011, 03:00 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,650,231 times
She lives in the North , she should embrace our history....which is 3x better then the south....

Old 11-16-2011, 03:06 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,751,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
i think schools should have uniforms, or a strict dress code at least that limits graphics on clothing anyways. this crap distracts from the learning environment, and if you're going to work virtually anywhere after high school, you're going to need to follow a dress code anyways.

also, it's easier in the morning when all you have to decide is which pants you're wearing - khaki, or navy. etc.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM

9,336 posts, read 13,879,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
if you're going to work virtually anywhere after high school, you're going to need to follow a dress code anyways.
You haven't seen my office, then.

The confederate battle flag isn't a symbol of racism. It's the battle flag of an army supporting a government which was pro-slavery... but you could say the same about the Stars and Stripes.

And the school picking on the "I love boobies" bracelet is pretty much exactly the sort of thing I'd expect small-minded authoritarians to do.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:45 PM

3,314 posts, read 8,521,679 times
I don't believe she should be suspended for wearing the shirt. If it is deemed "offensive" or a "distraction", then fine, sit her down and explain this to her and disallow the shirt. But yanking a kid out of school for this?

Furthermore, since her family is from Virginia, she probably had a great-grandfather or other relative who died in the Civil War--the symbol/flag means something different to her/her family than to outsiders.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,650,231 times
Theres probably more to the story then where getting...she probably cursed and verbly attacked the Administrators who told here to take it off.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 AM

332 posts, read 446,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I don't believe she should be suspended for wearing the shirt. If it is deemed "offensive" or a "distraction", then fine, sit her down and explain this to her and disallow the shirt. But yanking a kid out of school for this?

Furthermore, since her family is from Virginia, she probably had a great-grandfather or other relative who died in the Civil War--the symbol/flag means something different to her/her family than to outsiders.
Point blank knowing the Confederates represented the Southern U.S. and they disrespected black people back then, even though today blacks fail to take advantage of what they have and complain about it, I think she should still suffer the full consequences of her actions. It's not okay that we still have stuff like this and the KKK still lounging around in parts of the U.S.!!! And this in itself is pure disrespect to what the United States of America currently stands for.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,927,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You haven't seen my office, then.

The confederate battle flag isn't a symbol of racism. It's the battle flag of an army supporting a government which was pro-slavery... but you could say the same about the Stars and Stripes.
I'm an African American who is descended from more Confederate veterans than Union ones...and I do think it has been appropriated by the racists as a symbol of their beliefs.

Quote:
And the school picking on the "I love boobies" bracelet is pretty much exactly the sort of thing I'd expect small-minded authoritarians to do.
This I agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey