U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:03 AM

15 posts, read 20,456 times

Advertisements

What about Westfield. What is the commuting difference between Metuchen and Westfield? Is one a direct train?

Are there 2 sides of Westfield. Is one better than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 AM

115 posts, read 322,836 times
I thought a little out-of-the-box on this one.

What about Monmouth County? If 1 million is your budget and good schools are what you want, I would go to Holmdel. The average home price is $648,700 and the schools are some of the best in the state. Inside Jersey breaks down the HS's scores. And you'll have land, lots.

For your wife, Middletown has a weekday ferry that goes right to Lower Manhattan. It's not 42nd street, but there is obviously not a lot of traffic on the water!

As for you, google maps puts the two most direct commutes under 50 minutes, but they look very convoluted (like north on the parkway to south on the turnpike). I'm sure you could find some more direct backroads.

But the bottom line is that Monmouth County has space. If your wife can deal with the ferry (an often overlooked option) and you can get creative on your commute, Holmdel would be a fine choice. Marlboro or Colts Neck would work too, but may be too far away from the ferry for your wife.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 PM

115 posts, read 322,836 times
Default Additionally

There is a catamaran service to the city from from Highlands & Altantic Highlands, and your wife could get to 35th st. it looks like. Not cheap though. Would get her from Middletown area to midtown in 1 hour or 1:20 depending on which stops she takes. Wow.

I did a double take on that. 40 trip pass is $645.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyparent View Post
where to live. We currently live in Paramus and I am tired of driving so far but it is still 1 hour each way for me most day. I want to move to a bigger house with a big yard. Wife does not want too long a commute. She likes the freedom of leaving for work late and driving to park and ride at Vince Lombardi. I want good schools as well. Maximum is $1 million. We have 2 young kids so good schools are important.
Just wanted to mention one thing that no one else has.

My guess is that your wife's realistic door-to-door commute from Paramus -- not the hypothetical best case, but the norm -- is probably at least 60 minutes itself. No matter what, the minimum it could be is 45 minutes and that's if her office is right next to Port Authority.

You moving anywhere outside of where you are now will probably bring her commute to somewhere in the 75 minute range each way, door-to-door, minimum; possibly even 90 minutes depending.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rargus View Post
Just wanted to mention one thing that no one else has.

My guess is that your wife's realistic door-to-door commute from Paramus -- not the hypothetical best case, but the norm -- is probably at least 60 minutes itself. No matter what, the minimum it could be is 45 minutes and that's if her office is right next to Port Authority.

You moving anywhere outside of where you are now will probably bring her commute to somewhere in the 75 minute range each way, door-to-door, minimum; possibly even 90 minutes depending.

it took her 1 hour and a 45 minutes yesterday. We need a town with frequent trains as she believes driving to Vince Lombardi gives her more freedom. But this is getting nutes driving 125 miles round trip. Any thoughts on Westfield to East 42nd Street in NY.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyparent View Post
it took her 1 hour and a 45 minutes yesterday. We need a town with frequent trains as she believes driving to Vince Lombardi gives her more freedom. But this is getting nutes driving 125 miles round trip. Any thoughts on Westfield to East 42nd Street in NY.
I suggest you contact a realtor and let them find you your ideal house in a location suitable for both.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I suggest you contact a realtor and let them find you your ideal house in a location suitable for both.

I agree but where. I am certainly open to suggestions for areas so when I contact a realtor I know which areas to focus on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or