Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
How exactly do you get to the aquarium without going through the city of Camden???
Technically, you would have to pass through Camden to reach the aquarium, but if you take I-676 and then go through Downtown Camden, you avoid the rougher areas because you're only passing through the downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
It's great. My girlfriend and I went the other week and it's trumped every other aquarium we've been to. The shark tunnel was amazing!

Don't worry about safety, you'll be more than fine.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
How exactly do you get to the aquarium without going through the city of Camden???
The highway access is pretty much set up so you can avoid the bad areas.

To the OP, the aquarium and the rest of the waterfront area (Campbell's Field, Susquehanna Bank Center, Battleship NJ, some restaurants, etc) are pretty nice.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:33 AM

283 posts, read 607,237 times
You could take the Riverlink from Penn's Landing! That's one way to avoid driving through downtown!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM

133 posts, read 330,821 times
I went a few months after it first opened (it opened in 1992, I went in 1993). It was beautiful. Getting there though (and this was before GPS and Internet), we went through some BAD parts of Camden!

And this was when we were relying on road signs that pointed to the aquarium. We purposely got there early/first thing in the morning, so that the streets of Camden were almost empty. We left before noon to hightail it out of there.

What they need to do is do what they did in Baltimore for the Inner Harbor - make a major highway exit/entrance ramp! Now reading previous posts related to that, I'm confused. Did they actually do that, or is it still iffy?

Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pci2k View Post
I went a few months after it first opened (it opened in 1992, I went in 1993). It was beautiful. Getting there though (and this was before GPS and Internet), we went through some BAD parts of Camden!

And this was when we were relying on road signs that pointed to the aquarium. We purposely got there early/first thing in the morning, so that the streets of Camden were almost empty. We left before noon to hightail it out of there.

What they need to do is do what they did in Baltimore for the Inner Harbor - make a major highway exit/entrance ramp! Now reading previous posts related to that, I'm confused. Did they actually do that, or is it still iffy?
I don't know, but I too got lost trying to find the battleship New Jersey and ended up in some scary-looking neighborhoods.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:

I can't exactly remember the roads we took to get there. We stayed in a hotel on that side of the state but north of Camden. I think my daughter was 8 or 9 when I went, and she was born in 1991. I just know that I sort of was wondering if we would SEE Camden up close and we really didn't drive through any ghetto neighborhoods. It seems as though it was mostly a highway to get there.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:

I believe you can take I-676 and get off at Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd and then take it west until you reach the waterfront.

As far as building an exit out of there, that would only further the decline of the surrounding areas (People don't have to pass through and there's no incentive to fix the area up). I mean, it might improve the Downtown area, but everywhere else will remain undesirable. The solution is to try and advertise the area as being close to Philadelphia and hope it gentrifies that way. The poor people might get displaced, but you can try to build some areas with mixed-income housing so they can enjoy the benefits of the revitalization.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
I am a bit of an aquarium snob (my father designed the exhibits for most of the big aquariums) but I do not like Camden much at all. Low species diversity compared to National, Shedds or Boston, decent "wow" species, touch tank is abysmal and they even had a mantis shrimp in it once!!, shark tank is an antiquated design (aside from the "tube" which has been done better elsewhere), I could go on but won't. On about the same par as the Mystic Aquarium IMO.

Also, it is odd that Camden is the only city I have heard of to not benefit from the aquarium effect. Weird.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:44 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Is it really such a big deal to drive through the ghetto for a couple of minutes? jeez.

That said, the aquarium is very big and was entertaining when I went. Not sure how the outside is (closed during winter), but it was pretty impressive.

It is pretty much what you would expect in an aquarium, and this is a big one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey