U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM

390 posts, read 1,118,672 times

Advertisements

There are lots of options that could work in Bergen County. People forget it's not just Ridgewood and Alpine! Elmwood Park, Saddle Brook, Lodi, Fair Lawn, Waldwick, etc. The lower half of Bergen County is filled with middle class families, more affordable homes, and pretty much every town is safe and has a good school system. This is totally possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 AM

8,176 posts, read 14,256,731 times
Oops

Last edited by NY Annie; 11-20-2011 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: OOPS

Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 AM

20 posts, read 41,293 times
I have narrowed it down to 5 towns-----1. Fair Lawn 2. Rutherford 3. Paramus 4. Ridgefield Park 5. Leonia.....Please let me know what are the pros & cons of each & where you would rank each one in order. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 AM

1,043 posts, read 2,324,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspace01 View Post
I have narrowed it down to 5 towns-----1. Fair Lawn 2. Rutherford 3. Paramus 4. Ridgefield Park 5. Leonia.....Please let me know what are the pros & cons of each & where you would rank each one in order. Thanks!
OK, here's my rank of the 5:

1. Leonia

Pros - Great schools (probably the best of the bunch you listed), nice, charming small town, very close to NYC

Cons - It will probably be impossible for you to find a 300K house in this town.

2. Paramus

Pros - Great schools, wide variety of housing options, taxes lower than comparable Bergen County Towns.

Cons - Again, it will probably be impossible for you to find a 300K house here. Highways are constantly flooded with traffic. So are the main side streets, from people looking to get to places without taking the highways.

3. Fair Lawn

Pros- Diverse population, train access, tons of worship options, very good schools, more affordable than other towns in the area of similar socioeconomic levels. You have a shot of finding a 300K house here with a lot of work.

Cons- A lot of properties tend to be on the smaller side, the town is more densely populated than many other Bergen 'burbs, no true downtown area, west and south sides of town tends to have more crime (still very little though) due to their proximity to less affluent towns with higher crime rates.

4. Rutherford

Pros- Nice downtown, very good schools, outstanding transportation options including train access. Another town where you have a shot of finding a 300K house with a lot of work.

Cons- Tends to be a bit more dense/urban in feel than Leonia, Paramus, or even Fair Lawn. Schools not quite as good overall as the ones in the previosuly mentioned three towns. Most other towns in the area are among the less affluent/desirable in Bergen County.

5. Ridgefield Park

Pros- Very near NYC, most affordable town of the bunch.

Cons - Average schools, dense, partially urban feel.

So in a nutshell:

Tier 1 towns - Leonia, Paramus

Tier 2 towns - Fair Lawn, Rutherford

Tier 3 town - Ridgefield Park

Old 11-21-2011, 11:29 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,329,796 times
why did you X waldwick off the list?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
OK, here's my rank of the 5:

1. Leonia

Pros - Great schools (probably the best of the bunch you listed), nice, charming small town, very close to NYC

Cons - It will probably be impossible for you to find a 300K house in this town.

2. Paramus

Pros - Great schools, wide variety of housing options, taxes lower than comparable Bergen County Towns.

Cons - Again, it will probably be impossible for you to find a 300K house here. Highways are constantly flooded with traffic. So are the main side streets, from people looking to get to places without taking the highways.

3. Fair Lawn

Pros- Diverse population, train access, tons of worship options, very good schools, more affordable than other towns in the area of similar socioeconomic levels. You have a shot of finding a 300K house here with a lot of work.

Cons- A lot of properties tend to be on the smaller side, the town is more densely populated than many other Bergen 'burbs, no true downtown area, west and south sides of town tends to have more crime (still very little though) due to their proximity to less affluent towns with higher crime rates.

4. Rutherford

Pros- Nice downtown, very good schools, outstanding transportation options including train access. Another town where you have a shot of finding a 300K house with a lot of work.

Cons- Tends to be a bit more dense/urban in feel than Leonia, Paramus, or even Fair Lawn. Schools not quite as good overall as the ones in the previosuly mentioned three towns. Most other towns in the area are among the less affluent/desirable in Bergen County.

5. Ridgefield Park

Pros- Very near NYC, most affordable town of the bunch.

Cons - Average schools, dense, partially urban feel.

So in a nutshell:

Tier 1 towns - Leonia, Paramus

Tier 2 towns - Fair Lawn, Rutherford

Tier 3 town - Ridgefield Park
This is awesome info! Thx! I think it's going to be 1. Fair Lawn 2. Ridgefield Park 3. Rutherford. Can you be more specific on Fair Lawn "west & south sides"? I will start my search tomorrow....

Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
why did you X waldwick off the list?
Waldwick is too much of a drive for us...Seems like an awesome town though..

Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 AM

151 posts, read 304,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspace01 View Post
This is awesome info! Thx! I think it's going to be 1. Fair Lawn 2. Ridgefield Park 3. Rutherford. Can you be more specific on Fair Lawn "west & south sides"? I will start my search tomorrow....
West side borders Paterson, south side borders Elmwood Park(East Paterson).

Old 11-22-2011, 10:02 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,329,796 times
Drive where?

If you live in Waldwick, take the train to the city.

Ridgefield park stands out here. It's much more urban like and less town/suburban like.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:33 PM

115 posts, read 322,876 times
I would also vote for Hasbrouck Heights. . . and not a terrible school system for your money either. Southern Bergen County is definitely more affordable, look at this map of NJ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11898551@N03/6335629849/in/photostream - broken link) over (green) and under (red) average property taxes.

Englewood is also one of those towns that is gentrifying quickly. If the downturn never occurred, it would be a lot further along. The schools are going to get better there eventually, but probably not in time for the 13 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or