Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM

110 posts, read 204,855 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Illinois
Why are you moving? Several reasons. Change of scenery, more opportunity, have always wanted to live near NYC, etc.
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? New Jersey

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget? 900-1,000 (with roommate - will be sharing a 1BR)
What kind of place are you looking for? Honestly? I just want a place that's not in a horrible neighborhood. I've researched New Jersey apartments for months, and I know that a budget of 900-1,000 will definitely limit my options (where I'm from, that price range would get you a great, multiple BR option). That being said, I'm only 23 and this will be my first apartment. I am not expecting to live in a mansion right off the bat. I'm low maintenance and appreciate the things I have.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? I will be sharing the apartment with a roommate who already lives in New Jersey.
Do you need/want good public schools? No.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc): As I said before, safety is definitely at the top of my list. Moving to a new place, I don't want to have to constantly worry about falling victim to XYZ crime. Being young myself, a young crowd would be nice, though, not imperative. I'm fairly mature for my age, so being around others who are, shall we say, less mature, isn't that important.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Safety, easy parking (as I will have a roommate), and a variety of things to do. I am moving from a small town, so I'm looking to see/try/experience new things.

Any advice, town recommendations, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've never been to New Jersey, so all the information I know is what I research on the internet.
My main question is, with my limited budget, what areas would you recommend that I look at? As I said before, I have searched for months now, and gathered as much information as I can. It would be nice to hear from people who actually live in the area, though.

Also, to clarify, I am looking for an apartment in North Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 AM

523 posts, read 1,679,712 times
Since your roommate already lives in NJ (though you didn't say where) and presuming your roommate has a job, it might also be presumed that you'll live near your roommate's job. If these presumptions are valid, then this will give you a starting point. If you'd like to share more details, I'm sure folks here will be more than willing to give you some feedback.

You did state you'd like to be in North Jersey. Well, that's half of the state. Some suggestions that have been made in the past are: Edison, Clifton, Hoboken, Passaic, Sayverville.

Let us know some more of your thoughts.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM

Sorry, roommate currently lives in Passaic County and goes to college in Bergen County, so that is the general area as far as current living situation, work, and school.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 AM

171 posts, read 416,277 times
Check out Clifton. I'm in a pretty similar situation, 21, first apartment, sharing a 1br with a roommate and it costs us about $1000/mo. My neighborhood is very safe, it's a lot of senior citizens and families with children. I've been here since the beginning of September (I moved from a small town in South Jersey) and I love it.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Hackensack would be a good choice. Lots of apartments on Prospect. Close to Bergen CC. Buses and train to NYC...

Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Thanks guys. Re-checking the aforementioned towns.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,276 times
Default Moving to NJ

Son just moved to NJ for his first job. Relatively easy commute from Jersey City into NY. If you need tips on moving try movers nj (http://www.beltmann.com/new-jersey-movers.aspx - broken link)
for locations and packing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey