U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:56 PM

9,164 posts, read 20,195,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
Yeah. I've looked into selling eggs, It's something I'd like to do at a later time. Ive researched it and It's a lot more of a time commitment than it seems. Right now I'm working And going to school full time so I couldn't commit to being an egg donor. But its on my radar for after I graduate
If this is something you'd like to consider; please give it a lot of thought. I've always wanted to do it too; but am too old now & am not sure if I would consider it if I were younger..

There was a show on about one guy that donated sperm; seeing that made me really think twice about this- he has hundreds of kids out there. He's getting married & is ready to start his own family; so now comes the tricky part about his own children & possibly dating one of their siblings without knowing it.

The next concern would be your own health; having to take medications to ovulate & any side effects. Watch Guiliana & Bill or the Little Couple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 AM

15,901 posts, read 10,954,801 times
Default blood donation incentives controlled by fed regs

I donate platelets in Raritan, there is also a center in New Brunswick. Call the NY blood services 800# to find a closer location.

In all the years I've donated I have never been paid. the Fed regs seesawed back and forth on offering incentives. Now the incentives are more significant than before. Never took advantage of the offerings.
Workplace would give you an extra day off if you donated 5 times.

With platelets you can donate every few days vs whole blood with a 30 or 60 day recovery time. Sometimes if you donate regularly the blood center with pair you up with a cancer or burn patient so you end up being that person's main supply. Gives you a good feeling.

Rarely is whole blood given as it is usually broken down to components. I donated whole blood to a friend who had heart surgery and my blood was treated as a 'prescription' ordered by the doc if blood was needed.

Donating blood or platelets beats donating money as you have no idea where your money will end up and how much administrative costs are carved out.

Sometimes industry would seek blood donors and pay money based on the rarities of blood components to be used for research.

there is the NJ blood services and NY blood services operating in NJ. I always donated at the NY blood centers for no particular reason other than proximity to donation center. NJBS seems to sponsor traveling donation centers in town halls and so on.

With platelet donations the technology has progressed to using one needle in one arm vs a needle in each arm. As the blood is drawn and plasma seperated, the remaing 'blood' and added fluids are circulated back into the body so ther is no blood volume loss as with whole blood donations. I have never had any drag time as I did with whole blood doantions.

Doantion takes about an hour, most places have videos or tv going. If they like the color and volume of your plasma they may ask to 'double bag' you. Takes about 20 minutes longer.

As with all blood donations your blood is tested for 'everything', free bp and iron check. Almost like a free 'physical'.

[CENTER]

[SIZE=1]You are receiving this message because you have requested information and updates sent via email. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, simply click on the following link:Unsubscribe or contact us at 1-800-933-2566, or write to "NYBC Webmaster" 1200 Prospect Avenue, Westbury, NY 11590[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Last edited by Kracer; 11-22-2011 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 11-22-2011, 06:14 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,176,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
Yeah. I've looked into selling eggs, It's something I'd like to do at a later time. Ive researched it and It's a lot more of a time commitment than it seems. Right now I'm working And going to school full time so I couldn't commit to being an egg donor. But its on my radar for after I graduate
Don't forget you have to take a lot of hormone shots (like having PMS x 100) so it's a pretty horrible experience and may not be worth it. Can't have sex either while you're on the meds (it's in the contract). Never did it but a friend of mine was going to until she read all the fine print and was counseled by the physician. It's an uncomfortable procedure as well when they finally remove them. They pay a lot for eggs for a reason - not a pleasant experience (unlike sperm donating LOL!)

Old 11-22-2011, 04:07 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,126,849 times
whats the going rate on blood now? I'm looking to get some beer money for the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey