U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 06:34 PM

88 posts, read 222,956 times

Advertisements

Hi,
After watching so many episodes on the DIY network, especially Holmes on homes, i'm terrified of picking a wrong inspector/buying the wrong house.
We're buying outright and are considering buying a home around JC.
1. Can anyone recommend an inspector/recommend inspectors to stay away from
2. What should I ask the inspector/should there be anything we should look out for as well when viewing the home? (scared of mold, improper insulation, asbestos, since there are attached homes next to it-noise problems)
3. If the seller had an inspection done recently or if it has problems, is he/she legally obligated to tell us what is wrong?
4. If a report was done on the house, is there anyway I can look it up? (i've heard of ACRIS in NY where I could look up a property address to see how much the homes sold for, what year and any other info)

The sellers are still living there so i'll be sure to ask why they are selling it but their stuff is still there so it would be hard to see certain areas.

Thanks, any response is very much appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 PM

574 posts, read 1,342,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1986 View Post
Hi,
After watching so many episodes on the DIY network, especially Holmes on homes, i'm terrified of picking a wrong inspector/buying the wrong house.

HOH is a load of crap! It is all showmanship meant to sell episodes. From what I have seen and heard of him he loves to tear down walls to display what these home inspectors were suppose to have found. How many people have you spoken to that have use a home inspector that torn into any walls?? People like that distort all service industries to promote their garbage and their own companies!

We're buying outright and are considering buying a home around JC.
1. Can anyone recommend an inspector/recommend inspectors to stay away from

Stay away from the ones that:
  1. Claim extensive background in construction but can not provide one stitch of hard proof that they even built a birdhouse! I've had to deal with enough of their reports to tell the only time they swung a hammer is to nail a nail in the wall for hanging a picture. That type usually winds up crushing their own thumb! If they make those fancy claims ask them for hard proof of their background so you can check it out.
  2. Are supposedly engineers and architects. You really have to ask yourself why would a highly trained and educated engineer or architect want to work for peanuts on a home inspection? If they were any good at their profession as an engineer or architect they can make more in two hours work doing it rather than inspecting someones home.
  3. Try to sell you on their membership in some association makes them the best thing since sliced white bread. It doesn't matter what the association is they are all their for their members and not you. Go read their membership requirements and their supposed codes of ethics. Then search for the lawsuits and you will see they are all getting sued. Read some of the postings here on bad inspectors and check their memberships and you will see they belong to all of the various associations.
  4. Make really stupid posts on the various bulletin boards they like to hang around. Just google search "nachi" and "inspectionnews" and you'll find two of them. They really are hilarious what they post and the stupidity they display.
2. What should I ask the inspector/should there be anything we should look out for as well when viewing the home? (scared of mold, improper insulation, asbestos, since there are attached homes next to it-noise problems)

Ask the inspector how many referrals he gets from the real estate agents? Most of those inspectors live off the agent referrals and are certainly not looking out for your best interest!

3. If the seller had an inspection done recently or if it has problems, is he/she legally obligated to tell us what is wrong?
4. If a report was done on the house, is there anyway I can look it up? (i've heard of ACRIS in NY where I could look up a property address to see how much the homes sold for, what year and any other info)

Make sure in your initial offer you also put in that you want a new CLUE report from the seller. Go to privacyrights.org and search CLUE to see how valuable it is. If a seller balks about it then they are trying to hide something!!

The sellers are still living there so i'll be sure to ask why they are selling it but their stuff is still there so it would be hard to see certain areas.

Thanks, any response is very much appreciated!
Some answers in blue italics above.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or